Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Any of you guys do this ?
Posted by: Dancer
Date: August 21, 2019 04:08AM
Spending a week on a east coast beach. Lots of people, competition. So haven't seen this for awhile. Here comes. hunter #1. Got herself a real decent machine, hunting in a straight pattern. Swinging like Attila the Hun. I'm talking a good foot and a half off the sand on the ends of every swing. About 15 minutes later here comes guy #2 , same thing. He was smiling away, gave me a wave. I was thinking of offering some friendly advice, but what do I know ?
Heck, they might have scored a couple gold rings. I help out with newbies, when asked. These two looked like they were enjoying themselves, so hey, I got my own problems.

Re: Any of you guys do this ?
Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: August 21, 2019 08:21AM
Lots of hunters in that area this time of year, but the good is there is lots of beach front also. With there being so many I think you will see just about everything possible. About the only time I say anything is if I see them leaving holes open. And that is during the summer, winter I see someone leaving holes I just wave. Good Luck on your adventure..

2019.....Gold rings..106..Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 255

Posted by: tvr
Date: August 21, 2019 09:10AM
Used to run into a pair of Canadians that swung Excals like that when we did our Myrtle Beach area vacations. One of them (Mike) used a regular garden shovel with a plastic sand scoop tie wrapped to the end of the wooden handle. He would dig the sand up then flip it around and scoop the target with the scoop. On one trip about two or three years ago, we passed on the beach and talked a little, both of us with empty pouches since we had both just hit the beach; then a couple hours later we crossed paths again and Mike shows me a nice gold ring he found high up in the dry sand. It is a wonder to me how the golf like swing would give the detector a chance to detect, but he was having fun and actually finding some targets.

Posted by: Flintstone
Date: August 21, 2019 08:30PM
Hay they may know something we don't//

Posted by: RichW
Date: August 21, 2019 08:47PM
You did good, don't spoil their fun.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: August 22, 2019 11:13AM
I see seasoned hunters doing the "Tiger Woods Swing" One of them I have been seeing for at least 7 years. It is rare that I give advice to someone who is out there hunting "My" beach (LOL). If someone with an entry level machine is struggling I will try to help them. Or if someone asks for advice I will do what I can to help them but I don't approach those with the "Tiger Woods Swing" and offer advice. And from time to time I see those same folks digging targets.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: foiled again tab hunter
Date: August 22, 2019 04:20PM
GeorgeinSC
I see seasoned hunters doing the "Tiger Woods Swing" One of them I have been seeing for at least 7 years. It is rare that I give advice to someone who is out there hunting "My" beach (LOL). If someone with an entry level machine is struggling I will try to help them. Or if someone asks for advice I will do what I can to help them but I don't approach those with the "Tiger Woods Swing" and offer advice. And from time to time I see those same folks digging targets.

Yea I bet those targets are very shallow too George.....I see it too & I just let them have all the fun they can stand LOL.....,HH...Tab.

Posted by: Mkus
Date: August 22, 2019 06:24PM
Ha yep weekend warriors out detecting I only go on cloudy overcast days in the summer then all winter long here on east coast because of the extreme low tides
I can’t deal with the summer crowds the people swinging to fast and have their detectors 1ft from the sand I just laugh..
Except this guy he’s Terry Shannon his finds are legendary! Here’s a quick video of him in action!

https://youtu.be/KIPNpcqtyKk

HHMark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 06:39PM by Mkus.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: August 23, 2019 10:52PM
Hey, Dancer. Just watch some videos of "seasoned" hunters and it will be a rarity to find overlappers. Plus, I have "helped" several hunters who thanked me only to find them back the same another week. I still remember articles by my favorite author, Karl Von Mueller. It would take him hours to work a section he had marked off. Now I must confess THAT is something I couldn't do without a nervous breakdown!!!

Posted by: comisoas
Date: August 29, 2019 10:34AM
It is all about technique. Perhaps their technique is to do a quick general scan to try to find the hotspots. In my opinion, hunt time is not chat time. We who are really into the hobby spend lots of time, sometimes money, to get better and use that knowledge to be put to the test during those sometimes rare, limited trips to the beach. I am speaking for me. When I hunt the beach, that is what I go for and spend every second doing that. Now, I have chatted with a few folk along the way, but my time is extremely limited. Anyway, do what they are doing......concentrate on your limited time hunting the beach, smile and.......overlap those sweeps :)

Posted by: rottonr
Date: August 29, 2019 10:42AM
I see it many times and just bite my tongue. My unwanted advise has not gone over good in the past. I seen one guy stop every 2 steps to investigate a hit that he gave up on after a scoop or two. IT WAS HIS OWN SCOOP. :detecting:

Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 01, 2019 04:32PM
I knew a guy who used a pendulum swing, and he moved fast with his Garrett.
He started at 11 o’clock and sung through to 12 o’clock.
He was only looking for quarters because he said they filled up his pouch fast.
And he did find plenty of those.

One time, at a dug up field - I followed behind him and dug a 1812 button with gold gilt still on it.

Tony NJ

Posted by: slingshot
Date: September 02, 2019 10:59AM
BigTony
I knew a guy who used a pendulum swing, and he moved fast with his Garrett.
He started at 11 o’clock and sung through to 12 o’clock.
He was only looking for quarters because he said they filled up his pouch fast.
And he did find plenty of those.

One time, at a dug up field - I followed behind him and dug a 1812 button with gold gilt still on it.

Tony NJ
I actually tried to help a guy who did this here in Texas! His reply? He only wanted to find coins directly in front of him!:stars: I was shocked to actually see him vnd a coin!:shrug:

Re: A true Coin Shooter, enjoying the outdoors!N/T
Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 02, 2019 12:03PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Tony

Posted by: Daddy
Date: September 02, 2019 07:21PM
I love it when Detectorist's use the "pendulum" swing. Couldn't find a "pendulum" swinging avatar ....

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.
F75, TDI BeachHunter, Equinox 800, Excalibur II, Yukon Coin Hustler II, Mirage PI, Eldorado

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login