Findmall.com

The "Prospecting" Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Gold Jewelry
Posted by: Miser67
Date: January 08, 2018 09:00AM
May be a bit off topic for here, but I was wondering, since there is no metal detector that is designed specifically for gold jewelry (I mean more than rings, like chains, pendants, etc.), would a gold metal detector be a good substitute? I know that processed gold is different from raw gold, which is why I ask.

If you agree it is, is there a particular brand/model you recommend. I've been away from detecting for a little while.

As always, any post I make here is solely my opinion based on my own experience and knowledge. Feel free to disagree.

Re: Gold Jewelry
Posted by: hawgdawg
Date: January 08, 2018 08:30PM
I've wondered the same thing. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a good answer. I'll be watching as well. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Posted by: Texadillo
Date: January 12, 2018 07:57AM
A dedicated VLF gold hunting detector could certainly find the tiniest pieces of gold jewelry. I can't speak for PI's because I've never used one but some models today they say can find small gold at greater depths than VLF's in hotter ground. Some VLF gold hunting detectors are all-metal mode only and some come with a discrimination mode along with some sort of ID. Probably need the patience of a Saint because a lot of those hard to find gold signals means digging a LOT of targets... especially where smaller non-ferrous trash abounds. I can't really recommend a particular brand today but if you stick with the major brands you will find your oro :thumbup: Best of luck to you in your research and quest :smile:

Experiencing the adventure a lot of times will be your best find!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 08:20AM by Texadillo.

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: January 12, 2018 09:06AM
Really depends on where you plan to hunt for the jewelry at. In beach sand I've heard prospecting units work fine.

For the inland sites I hunt which include athletic fields, parks, schools and playgrounds I have two recommendations: Fisher F5 with the stock 10" elliptical coil and Whites V3i. Both of these models can run hot at low gain settings which is very important when hunting small jewelry items in turf and they both have features that enhance a jewelry recovery in trash. The V3i is the more feature rich of the two, but the F5 does real well at this even with its 7.8 kHz operating frequency.

High frequency is often touted as better for small jewelry but the issue with high frequency units is that they scream on every little bit of non-ferrous trash. For small jewelry targets in non-ferrous trash you need to be able to key in to the small, solid sounding signals. The F5's 7.8 kHz can give you some definition between solid and non-solid, where as something operating in the 19kHz range cannot and it's ability to enhance the audio of the small signals is a big plus.

Besides the basic requirement of low gain with high sensitivity, the V3i has the ability to show you how the target responds in multiple frequencies. The high 22.5 kHz will scream on the tiny target but the low 2.5 kHz frequency will tell you if the target has mass. It also has multiple ways to view, enhance and focus on the targets.

Why low gain and high sensitivity? In turf, all the small stuff is in the grass roots. Surface to maybe 4" tops. The more you raise your gain the more targets and ground noise you have to deal with. You start hearing whats below your desired target depth and more masking goes on. Models that separate the Gain and Threshold (sensitivity) allow you to keep your gain low, but yet still be sensitive to the small targets. The other benefit to low gain settings is that your coil footprint is kept small so you only hear whats under your coil, not the stuff on the sides. The surface trash isn't falsing and blocking your view.

Tom Dankowski has a good video for beach hunting where in one segment he discusses micro jewelry hunting on the beach with a Fisher GoldBug II, which is a gold prospecting unit that runs at 71 kHz. If I lived near a beach, I'd use one of them. Have also heard the Gold Racer does good on beach sand for micro jewelry as well.

There is a difference between Micro and Small. Micro requires very high frequency. Small does not. the dividing like is blurred, depending on who you ask. If the F5 with a Gain of 5 and a Threshold of +5 won't give a digable signal a inch or two from the coil, I call that Micro.

Hope that helps,
HH
Mike

Currently own and use:
*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 *****GoldBug Pro*****Minelab E-Trac*****Teknetics ETPro *****Teknetics Omega 8500***** Tesoro Golden Sabre II *****Tesoro Compadre *****Garrett ATPRO*****

Posted by: Smigo
Date: January 12, 2018 11:53PM
Minelab Xterra 705 with the gold coil is super sensitive, can switch back and forwards in the modes to check junk easily. Good little unit.

Posted by: razerback408
Date: January 14, 2018 10:58PM
for inland hunting one of the best is the Tesoro Compadre it will hit a small gold chain better than a lot of the top MD in disk mode 160.00 $ bucks life time warranty

Posted by: calibil
Date: January 24, 2018 11:45PM
Ive had good luck with the ML gold monster for gold chains with the small coil, will find coins , rings as well , BUT still got to dig trash . The disc works quite well so no iron . One of the few vlfs
That can detect a small chain at 6 inches or so, it works so well the disc and all metal have about the same depth and sensativity on targets.
And works in black sand, high minerised soil, can be tweeked to work at salt water beach ( wet sand, not in the water ).
It gets a bad rap from those mates down under.
Even in disc it will beep on 8grams of fine gold in my test vial. Most PI‘s won't even pass the vial test.
Added note: the deep tech vista gold will pass the vial test but out in the field has unstable ground ballance issues in black sand and high minerised soil.

Posted by: Smigo
Date: January 28, 2018 06:39AM
I've heard some OK reports on the Gold Monster here in OZ. Never used one but a friend in Queensland has and said it did OK on the small gold there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login