Findmall.com

The "Prospecting" Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Smallest Practical Detectable Gold?
Posted by: rogueaviation
Date: April 15, 2018 03:19PM
Well, the title pretty much gives it away, but I was wondering about the smallest actual detectable gold flake/nugget/speck that anyone has found.

So, what is the smallest gold you've found with a metal detector and which detector did you use?

We have small flakes and dust here where I am, but that's it...so there is a practical application.

Re: Smallest Practical Detectable Gold?
Posted by: Mxt Sniper
Date: April 16, 2018 11:05AM
I have found pieces of gold near the surface in the Nevada desert under a grain in weight each using a Gold Bug 2. The machine is capable of finding 1/4 of a grain pieces. But not very profitable. A grain of gold right now is worth around 2.81, fluctuates with gold prices. The far right piece of gold in my avatar is a tad under one grain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 11:09AM by Mxt Sniper.

Posted by: rogueaviation
Date: April 16, 2018 01:03PM
That's really cool! A tenth of a grain (.1) works out to under a thousandth of an ounce.

Technology is pretty amazing sometimes. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Anyone else?

Posted by: jamesinwesttexas
Date: April 20, 2018 06:20PM
One way of looking at it is a rock [or vein] could be heavily loaded with fine gold and your detector might not make a sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: April 20, 2018 09:08PM
jamesinwesttexas
One way of looking at it is a rock could be heavily loaded with fine gold and your detector might not make a sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login