Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Signagraph, DD coil and bottlecaps
Posted by: coinjumper
Date: June 22, 2016 05:00PM
Ok, I know that DD coils have problems with some bottle caps, my question is, by using a dd coil does it throw the signagraph off? Making a bottle cap look like a more desirable target?

Re: Signagraph, DD coil and bottlecaps
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: June 23, 2016 12:06AM
Howdy coinjumper--

I never noticed a significant difference in the signagraph between DD coils and concentric coils. In identifying the difference between a quarter and a bottle cap , I rely on the DC Phase reading.The DC Phase # will be LOWER than the VDI reading on a bottle cap. Often on rusty bottle caps the DC Phase # will be in the negative range. I know this doesn't specifically answer your question but it may help. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: June 23, 2016 06:00AM
Thanks! Hey...any bit of info helps!

Posted by: airscapes
Date: June 23, 2016 07:40AM
If you hit a bottle cap with a DD you will see a VDI that is higher than a quarter and maybe lower. You will see it jump around a bit. I don't pay much attention to the signal graph as I use tone ID ON and only look at the meter when pinpointing or checking to verify the target. With Tone ID on you can hear what the signal graph tells you if you open up the discrimination from -88> +95, A bottle camp will also have a +95 hit at times a quarter will not.. I happen to only use Normalization OFF in 15kHz only so my clad quarter is 89-91.. and DC Phase when pinpointing should match fairly close. As was stated DC phase will probably be lower than it should on a bottle cap. The 6x10 whites DD works much better when it comes to bottle caps than the D2 10" or the Detch U13, at least in my trash cans..

But to your question, I would expect (will pay attention next time I hear a bottle cap) that you will see multiple hits on the signal graph rather than a single line.. As I said you will get multiple VDIs with the bottle cap and that is what you are seeing on the graph.. If you are not using tone ID, give it a try!

Doug White's DFX, 950,U13, 6x10 & 4x6 coils | CoinMaster GT, 4x6 Shooter Coil, NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer and DIY Wireless FM Transmitter and Etymotic Research ER-6i in-ear phones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 07:42AM by airscapes.

Date: June 23, 2016 09:15AM
Thanks for the info guys, haven't gotten a dfx yet, will soon.

Posted by: leddel
Date: June 23, 2016 04:20PM
I've dug better targets that sounded much worse than a bottle cap , ignore them and the next guy will find something good you passed on.

Posted by: NMchaser
Date: June 23, 2016 06:46PM
For me, most of the time a bottle cap gives a slight raspy sound versus a more clear sound for a coin on the leading and trailing edges of them. I run "bottle cap reject" at 6. I have not been able to duplicate this distinction of sound between a bottle cap and a coin with my XLT, MXT or V3i.

Posted by: NMchaser
Date: June 23, 2016 09:14PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the bottle caps I am talking about are the ones that are crimped on to a bottle.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: June 23, 2016 10:37PM
yep beer caps, rusty ones are the worst they do scream on most detectors though but unless they are everywhere in a spot its a good idea to have a look see.

AJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login