Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Safari going back to the shop tomorrow!
Posted by: Onus
Date: July 22, 2009 04:04PM
As most of you know I have really been struggling with my new Safari going on about 5 months. My six year old granddaughter could have learned to operate it by now but I haven't. I have read the manual and Andy's book several times and it still doesn't perform like it is supposed to. It is so noisy I can't differentiate a good target from a piece of junk. It seems like I am getting a tone of some kind every half inch I move the coil and I know there isn't that much in the ground where I do my testing. Just when I think I am figuring it out it goes nuts and doesn't do what it is supposed to do and it is so slow to reset from one target to another I could take a nap in between! Much improved speed is one of its bragging points over the Quattro but not this one! So, I am sending it in (which I should have done long ago) and see how it comes back. If there is no improvement, it goes on the chopping block . I have a really good potential virgin hunting area that dates back to the late 1800s and now I have no confidence in my primary detector. And it took a very long time to set this area up to hunt, and I am going to have to hunt it at least at first with my ACE 250 which is a good little detector but lacking depth for what I need one for. Oh well, wish I had done this when I first started having problems.........,like day one! Onus. .

Re: Safari going back to the shop tomorrow!
Posted by: marxionu
Date: July 22, 2009 04:24PM
We digging here with Safari tiny hammered coins dated back 5-400 years and its a best machine after e trac. Better learn to use it.

Posted by: Trackerman
Date: July 22, 2009 05:29PM
I have a quattro real similar to Safari. Easier to use than any detector ive ever used.

Posted by: nick hunter
Date: July 26, 2009 12:56AM
Just one important suggestion : LOWER YOUR SENS.

Erratic detectors are almost always used with a sensitivity set too high.

Try imagine deep trash and relatively shallow (up to 7-8") coins. If your sens is too high, you will not detect the coins properly.

With such a powerful unit, you'd better get over a place several times with different sens settings.

I own a Quattro and back the precedent post : very easy to use, and impressive results (beach).

HH

Date: July 27, 2009 10:00AM
Easy to use is all I have heard from the beginning! Not this critter and I am no novice either! I have tried everything to get the performance I expected from it and nada. I haven't seen a suggestion lately that I haven't tried! So, in she goes, if I can ever get Minelab to answer my emails requeting shipping instructions. Sent 3 and no answer yet! Onus

Posted by: ngrelic
Date: July 28, 2009 03:37AM
Give them a call, they'll fix you up.

Date: August 03, 2009 01:02PM
Still no answer to email so I just bundled it up and sent it in. Waiting to see what they say. Surely there's something amiss or I would't have had this much trouble with it. Onus

Posted by: MikeDahms
Date: August 04, 2009 02:18PM
Hopefully you will return to this thread after your machine is back from the repair shop. I would be very interested in how it works out. From your statements I guess you have tried the suggestion of reducing the sensitivity. If so then the only thing to do is send it in for repair. I am sorry to hear anyone buying a detector that doesn't work correctly, new or used. I think it is important for us to share our disappointments along with the successes. HH Mike.

Posted by: The Fog
Date: August 07, 2009 01:08AM
I've been following your posts regarding the erratic behavior you have experienced over the past 4 months Onus. I'm curious to see how you make out. After I made some initial adjustments to sens, and making some custom modes my safari works like a charm. I wish you the best. I recently encountered a problem however, I have 2 lines of dead pixels across the screen, I'll have to make a phone call.

Date: August 09, 2009 12:42PM
I sent it in a week ago and haven't even had an aknowledgement that they received it. And today their homepage is down for some reason. It's insured though so maybe I'll just get a new one? :clapping: I have had a total of 8 detectors since I have been enjoying this "hobby" and this is the only one I haven't been able to get to work right, so I am pretty sure it had some issues in the programming. Hope so, I really like it when it does what it is supposed to do. But it just doesn't do it all the time. Anyway, I'll get back to the forum when I get it back. Onus

Posted by: The Fog
Date: August 09, 2009 07:37PM
Did you have to send yours to Las Vegas? I'm sending mine in as well, I have 2 lines of dead pixels on the display.

Date: August 11, 2009 07:46AM
The Fog, I did send it to Las Vegas. I emailed them 3 times asking where to send it and never got an answer either by email or phone. I mailed it July 31 and it should have arrived there the following Tuesday or so the mailman said. I never got an acknowledgement that it had arrived until I asked for it. It was insured and I needed that information. They said it would be the last part of the month before it came back to me so I will be over a month without it if I include the week in July I was waiting to hear from them. I don't like to phone because I have a hearing problem even though phoning might be better. I sent a detector in to Garrett as a comparison, got an unsolicited acknowledgement of receipt two days later, and had it back 1 day shy of two weeks. Needless to say I am not too impressed with Minelab's service department. So, yeah, send it to Las Vegas. Onus

Date: August 21, 2009 05:38PM
Got a phone call yesterday from Minelab. They say it checks Ok! Disappointed to hear that. Maybe I am dumber than I thought? Well, here goes again. Gonna' give it all the chances I can before I dump it. I have a hot site that I haven't hunted with the Safari, so I'll give it a try as soon as it gets back. Oh well...... Onus

Posted by: edjcox
Date: August 22, 2009 08:03PM
Your doing somethin wrong there Onus if it checks out with Minelab....

What was the reason you sent it in? I suspect it might be a simple thing like a loose cable or bad batteries. I often find that using headphones helps me a lot to hear the safari music better.

Try some air tests ad watch where on the scale (the printed one under the LCD screen) a targets indicator shows.

Now I can also tell you that I had a lot of air between those headphones for a long time until I started reading these forums, and Andy's Quattro book a few more times than once...

Good luck, let us know when the wandering Safari is home from it's trip to Vegas.

Ed

Date: August 24, 2009 03:39PM
Been there done that Edicox, but thanks anyway. Onus

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.