Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Safari going back to the shop tomorrow!
Posted by: thunderstorm
Date: October 06, 2009 05:44PM
I can only say if you are sure that your settings are correct,basic factory settings are so easy,then your land must be trashy...otherwise you can be sure if the safari says there is something there then there is no doubt about it.I had a similar problem....but got to know the machine and realise now that the signals are to do with the settings you have too as well as the land you are on.That said,there is a patch of field where iI constantly hit 40 and ive dug a few holes and found nothing...but the sygnals remain...im convinced there is something there..I shall revisit...the same field has given up medieval pewter spoons which were 40 so I know the safari is to be trusted.
Has to be something you are doing wrong.Otherwise I think you are from a competitive company to minelab out to discredit the safari.Maybe.Maybe not.

Posted by: TURNMASTER
Date: October 08, 2009 06:25PM
Onus, just a thought from an Xterra user, if I may. Is it just possible that there is a ton more trash in the areas you said couldn't have that much in them?

I'm sure you have been asked before but it seems a worthwile question.

I'm resonably new to detecting and am considering another machine to compliment the one I have. This post kinda makes me wonder about the Safari. I will follow it a bit to see how this works out.

Good Luck
Jeff

Posted by: edjcox
Date: October 11, 2009 12:24AM
Jeff read and you will find few of us fault the Safari, Onus may have gotten a lemon...

Posted by: Onus
Date: October 21, 2009 12:33PM
Minelab todl me they couldn't find a problem with my Safari, but when I got it back it seemed quieter and I started finding "stuff". Makes me wonder? Onus

Posted by: shorty2
Date: October 23, 2009 08:57AM
I sent my safari back, the people at minelab were great, couldn't find anything wrong but said they couldn't duplicate the weather here. They replaced the coil which they said may had gotten moisture in it somehow. The machine works great now. If I were you and had not tried it yet I would discriminate all numbers except 38 in coin mode and see what happens. You should not get any noise except silver or clad. Shorty

Posted by: Onus
Date: October 23, 2009 04:47PM
I am finding "stuff" now. I appreciate all the advice, both good and bad!:rolleyes: I think we can close this thread now. Whatever the problem was seems to be fixed now. Still can't figure if it was the machine or me? Maybe a little of both! This thread can be retired as far as I am concerned. Onus

Posted by: ngrelic
Date: October 24, 2009 04:55AM
Don't close the thread before I say CONGRATS and WAY TO STICK WITH IT Onus.

Barry

Posted by: The Fog
Date: October 24, 2009 06:06AM
I agree with ngrelic, and i'm glad you and your machine are talking the same language. I expect to see photo's of the finds soon.

Posted by: mikemachinest
Date: February 21, 2018 06:11PM
Did you ever get that safari figured out. I have had one for 4 or so years and I'm just not impressed. I have read the book. Watched you tube and spent many hours in the field and have experimented with many settings and several different coils. This thing can find pennys all day long. It will get silver dime down to about 4 inch reliably. A dime a 6 inch is iffy at best. The number readout is nearly useless. The tones are great but it prosess targets so slow it's painfull. Just to give you a little background I have been detecting since I was 15. I'm now 55

Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: February 21, 2018 08:49PM
mikemachinest
Did you ever get that safari figured out. I have had one for 4 or so years and I'm just not impressed. I have read the book. Watched you tube and spent many hours in the field and have experimented with many settings and several different coils. This thing can find pennys all day long. It will get silver dime down to about 4 inch reliably. A dime a 6 inch is iffy at best. The number readout is nearly useless. The tones are great but it prosess targets so slow it's painfull. Just to give you a little background I have been detecting since I was 15. I'm now 55

Do you have it on a high trash or low trash setting? Also what discrimination do you usually have? In high trash and little to no discrim; which is what I have most of the time, it's pretty fast processing targets. Just wondering.

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: February 21, 2018 09:04PM
Assuming your technique is good, its gotta be your soil. I hit dimes regularly at 8"+ in decent loam. 10" isn't unheard of either.
Agree for the most part on the sweep speed; you don't want to swing the Safari like its an Equinox.

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 09:04PM by Champ Ferguson.

Date: February 25, 2018 06:05PM
I have tried manual sensitivity Auto sensitivity High trash low trash I usually end up hunting in coin jewelry cross saved from all metal no discrimination or very little discrimination High thrash manual sensitivity around 16 or 17 noise cancel often. I have been using this Safari for several years always thought it could do a lot better than it has been then this past summer I started hunting with an old friend who has a $300 technetics and his machine will out find that safari. We even check each others signals. I'm surprised how often the safari would not give out a peep. I wish it were the other way around.

Date: February 25, 2018 06:08PM
A dime at 6 is almost impossible a dime a 4 no problem. A quarter at 6 no trouble. A penny at 6 no problem. I sweep slow and steady. Coil rubbing the ground and held flat

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.