Findmall.com

Minelab Safari/Quattro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
magnifying lamp
Posted by: klever
Date: February 04, 2018 01:24AM
Looking for recommendations for a good magnifying lamp. Coins are getting a little tougher reading the dates. I have used some hand loupes and really do not like. Appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advance

Re: magnifying lamp
Posted by: TomNH
Date: February 04, 2018 07:07PM
None in mind BUT if you can find a real glass one its worth the extra $$$. I use a glass hand lens
from the 50's & its still like new. Any plastic would have been junk years age.......
good luck es HH

Tom
LFOD !

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: February 05, 2018 09:51AM
The absolute best (overkill) solution for this imo is a 5MP Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope Pro- runs about $85 delivered, but is waaaay more magnification than youll ever need. You are tethered to a computer tho if that's a problem.

(( be sure to supersize the pic to get an idea of the resolution capability. ))

For field use, I still have my old school oversized 10x handlens around my neck. Remember the proper use of a handlens/loupe: place the handlens at your eye and then move the object closer until you can read the date.

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 09:53AM by Champ Ferguson.

Posted by: sasquache
Date: February 07, 2018 05:14AM
I use a soldiering magnify lense with light from harbor freight cheep put right on my bench and work's great!

Posted by: klever
Date: February 07, 2018 03:45PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Think I will look at the harbor freight one first and if that does not do the trick I will go for the Mega power (:

Posted by: kschae4
Date: February 07, 2018 05:51PM
I keep a jewelers loop in the car and a plastic magnifying glass near the laptop. Surprisingly good clarity, bought from Walmart some years ago.

Minelab Safari/BH Land Star/ Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Cause down the shore everything's all right"
Oldest identifiable coin- 1775 King George lll half penny
Most bizarre find: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,1835200,1835200#msg-1835200

Posted by: halfstep
Date: May 05, 2018 11:05AM
Champ Ferguson
The absolute best (overkill) solution for this imo is a 5MP Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope Pro- runs about $85 delivered, but is waaaay more magnification than youll ever need. You are tethered to a computer tho if that's a problem.

(( be sure to supersize the pic to get an idea of the resolution capability. ))

For field use, I still have my old school oversized 10x handlens around my neck. Remember the proper use of a handlens/loupe: place the handlens at your eye and then move the object closer until you can read the date.

I second the Celestron. Does a great job and you can take pics of the coins as well for future reference. A good desktop magnifier will run you 50 to 75 bucks and you won't have near the magnification.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login