Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Dear Mrs 'ramairnut' .....
Posted by: Monte
Date: December 10, 2017 09:27PM
ramairnut
I happen to have 3 White's empty lower rods, I have room for both the Detech 7" and the new 5.3, possibly even the 950. I hope my wife doesn't read this.LOL

Brian would like the following added to YOUR Christmas Shopping List:

One each of the White's 6½" Concentric, 7" Detech Double-D and 950 Concentric for the MX Sport and MX-7 detector models.

:hot::hot::hot:

PS: Just get the last two for now, save some wrapping paper, and remind him he better be nice :inlove:, not naughty :nono:

if he wants the 6½" when it's released next year. That way you both come out winners !!

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detector Team are from:
Makro Racer 2; Nokta Impact, Relic and CoRe; Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II microMAX, Silver Sabre microMAX and Mojave; White's MX-7 and XLT
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

MX Sport & MX-7 ... and the XLT
Date: December 11, 2017 07:56AM
amcoins44
I am a parks and schools coin/jewelry guy. I just never could get comfotable with the signals from the stock coil on the MS Sport. Seemed like lots of noise, and it just got tiresome.
I also hunt parks, schools, private yards, and similar urban grassy places like parking strips, old picnic areas, etc. I eagerly awaited a new model entry to 'upscale' the MXT All-Pro, which was at first the MX Sport, and now the MX-7 that shares the same circuitry and performance. As many know, the initial MX Sport's released had some glitches which have been resolved, but the two I first checked out at different dealer shops were nose-heavy, very noisy and erratic, and I did not care for the new 10" DD coil. I definitely didn't like the former 10", either, the 10" D2 DD.

The 10" standard coil on the MX Sport might be good for hunting in water with a submerged coil, but to me, on above-ground/dry land search's, it was fatiguing, uncomfortable, and I didn't care for the performance in iron littered sites. Maybe it's just me because I haven't found many round-shape Double-D coils of that size range that worked very well for me. Smaller to mid-sized DD coils on the right detector, that was designed to function well with a DD coil, can do okay. Even models with an elliptical DD like a 7X11 or even 8X11 feel more comfortable to me and have worked well in sparse-trash open areas.

amcoins44
Besides easy pinpointing, the 950 has cleaned up the signals for me. I don't try for deep signals, but here in Michigan, dimes in the parks are common to hear at 6 inches with clean tones.
I agree. Better Pinpointing ability, cleaner, tighter numeric read-outs due to the Concentric design, and still preforms well on mid-depth to deeper located coins for me in my western/north-western USA region, much of with is rather mineralized ground while providing a clean, functional audio response.

amcoins44
I have no water experience. My background before the MXS was a decade with the XLT, which I still think is a very capable machine. I love to customize. Makes me with the MXS had more tone values like the XLT.
I don't hunt 'in' water very much either, but was still interested in the MX Sport because it would at least be 'weatherproof' if caught in a summer thunderstorm that gets me wet while dashing for cover or my vehicle. Had to wait for 'the glitches to have fixes' and then came the word that a land-based unit would be out that was 'weatherproof,' and the new MX-7 is exactly the detector model I have been waiting for from White's. :thumbup:

I have owned plenty of XLT's since released, getting my first in early 1994 and owning my last one in 2015. That's twenty-one years with an XLT in my detector battery because it worked 'just right' for the different Coin Hunting site choices I had and helped find me a LOT of coins, trade tokens, other small artifacts ... and I can't forget the silver and gold rings and other jewelry items. While I did use my XLT's for some Relic Hunting tasks, it was most 'at home' when Coin & Jewelry Hunting various urban sites.

I did like the 950 coil on the XLT for the open grassy sites, but actually preferred the Royal 800 8" Concentric. Very decent performance and depth, but balanced better with the slightly lighter weight and more centered rod-mount point. Even then, the 6½" Concentric seemed to still get the most use as I worked trashier and brushier sites.

For Relic Hunting performance I didn't find the XLT's Tone ID very useful or pleasant to listen to once the trash amounts and density got bad, but I did use the Tone ID perhaps 90% of the time for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. It worked well. I didn't/don't care for the multi Tone ID on the M6 or MXT Pro/All-Pro, using just the single tone, or preferring the 2-Tone Relic mode on the MXT Pro/All-Pro. I also prefer the 2-Tone audio of the MX=5.

With the MX-7, for typical Coin Hunting wants and needs, I like to use the 2-Tone, 4-Tone or 20-Tone audio ID options in the Coin & Jewelry program. The 8-Tone option, so far, just hasn't appealed to me like the others do. My unit is set to turn-on in 20-Tone in the C&J program.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Makro Racer 2; Nokta Impact, Relic and CoRe; Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II microMAX, Silver Sabre microMAX and Mojave; White's MX-7 and XLT
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

(503) 481-8147

Re: MX Sport & MX-7 ... and the XLT
Posted by: amcoins44
Date: December 11, 2017 08:35AM
I am almost always in the coin and jewelry program. I leave the tone ID at 20, but wouldn't mind even a little more resolution of tones thru the coins region; but now I'm getting picky.

Anyway, we have snow on the ground now and several days in a row below freezing, so I'll just be hunting vicariously for a while thru others reports and some youtube videos.

Re: Dear Mrs 'ramairnut' .....
Posted by: ramairnut
Date: December 11, 2017 06:38PM
Monte
ramairnut
I happen to have 3 White's empty lower rods, I have room for both the Detech 7" and the new 5.3, possibly even the 950. I hope my wife doesn't read this.LOL

Brian would like the following added to YOUR Christmas Shopping List:

One each of the White's 6½" Concentric, 7" Detech Double-D and 950 Concentric for the MX Sport and MX-7 detector models.

:hot::hot::hot:

PS: Just get the last two for now, save some wrapping paper, and remind him he better be nice :inlove:, not naughty :nono:

if he wants the 6½" when it's released next year. That way you both come out winners !!

Thanks Monte.That should take care of it right there. Either I get a new coil or a lumpy couch to sleep on for awhile.LOL Nah, my wife is really understanding with my hobbies ( only 3- HER,metal detecting and RC Crawler trucks). I will get that new 6-6 1/2 coil next spring/summer. I have done really well with the stock one so I would like to think that the success will continue, hopefully improve with that smaller coil, especially in the parks i will be hunting next season. Always good to have something to look forward to no matter how big or small. I am glad to hear that you are liking the MX7. Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas! Brian

Handy :twodetecting: ... Happy :jump: ... Hoping :sadwalk:
Date: December 11, 2017 08:07PM
ramairnut
I have done really well with the stock one so I would like to think that the success will continue, hopefully improve with that smaller coil, especially in the parks i will be hunting next season. Always good to have something to look forward to no matter how big or small.

:twodetecting: There is no doubt in my mind that using both a bigger/standard coil and a great smaller-size coil will help with your success afield next year.

ramairnut
I am glad to hear that you are liking the MX-7.

:jump: Yes, I am quite happy with the MX-7 as it, and the three coils I own, especially the 6½" Concentric, are going to make a great 'fit' in my detector arsenal. :thumbup:

ramairnut
Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas! Brian

:sadwalk: I always do the best I can to have a Merry Christmas, but sadly there is no "... and yours" for four years now. I'd put one on my Christmas Wish List, but they would have to enjoy metal detecting, hunting, fishing and camping ... in my 2018 camp trailer I bought to use while metal detecting, hunting and fishing. :) Just has to be a good gal who'll put up with a kind-hearted old phart, but I don't think there's a very good supply of those gals around. Oh well, I still have time to write a letter to Santa. :lmfao:

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

I got one that enjoys detecting and camping
Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: December 12, 2017 01:19AM
We been detecting together since 1973 and we dont get a lot of time anymore to detect and camp like we used to before with our cafe and bar we own and operate our self, but with a little luck and God willing we we be out in the spring with her new MX7 and just ordered in the 7 inch Detech coil for her and me with my Equinox or Impact and make up for lost time.

Good Luck
Rick

Sovereign GT
soon to be added the Minelab Equinox 800
Noka Impact Pro
Timberwolfs HP for the Sovereign
Uni Probe For The other detectors
Got the detectors, just need time to use them

Nice to hear, Rick, and all the best to you both.
Date: December 12, 2017 02:37AM
I sure do miss being younger when I could tolerate temperature extremes better than I can today. When I lived in Utah in my late teens and early 30's I would still get some detecting time in during the wintery months of snow and cold by detecting sledding and tubing hills, but today the bitter cols and I don't get along very well. I'm sure looking forward to spring's arrival with daylight getting longer, the sun feeling warmer and the ground thawing out.

I wish you both the best of success in the coming year.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login