Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
John, the 6½ Inch Concentric coil provides us with a different set of characteristics.
Posted by: Monte
Date: December 20, 2017 07:05AM
John, in Nawth Carolina
That size is very close to the DD 7" Detech I purchased a while ago.
Yes, it is very close in size, and it is also very different.

When I bought my MX-7 I also bought the Detech 7" DD coil because I have used it a few times earlier this year on an MX Sport .. and because it was the only small-coil offered for this new series of detectors. I hunt sites that are most often densely littered with ferrous debris and smaller-size search coils are a must-have, to be sure. The 7" DD worked better than the larger-size search coils, but I have been hoping since the first announcement of the MX Sport and its available coils (which didn't include a 7" Detech back then) that they would give us a smaller size Concentric coil like they have offered for other models for decades.

Why? Because Concentric coils and Double-D coils of similar/close physical size can provide us with different in-the-field performance and characteristics from the other. I was afforded the opportunity to evaluate the 6½ Inch Concentric, maybe the 6th of them out there for the MX Sport and MX-7, and then given the OK by Tom Boykin to talk about it and even mention that is will be a new coil offering very soon.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector, nor is there a 'perfect' search coil that handles all types of hunting or site environments. It's always best to own and use a detector and coil 'team' that provides us with the best all-purpose performance we can get for the tasks at hand. In recent years, especially the past 15 to 20, there has been a growing 'trend' for manufacturers to offer and promote Double-D search coils as if they offer some sort of 'magic' ... which they don't. Different 'characteristics' in EMF shape and Tx/Rx winding placement, yes, and different performance when it comes to handling ferrous junk or in numeric VDI read-out accuracy or consistency, yes, .... but no 'magic.'

I've been using Double-D coils since they were first introduced to the hobby detector design back in 1971 by Compass with the Yukon series TR's, and I still have such a 6" DD on my Compass Coin Hustler. I've used a wide assortment of search coil designs through the years, and even today many detectors in my Regular-Use Detector Team use DD search coils, and they work quite well. If they (the detectors and their search coils) didn't, then they would not be in my personal arsenal. But not all of my detectors use DD coils because some work much better, for me and the dense iron littered sites I mainly hunt, with a Concentric coil. I keep a 7" Concentric on a Nokta Impact and Tesoro Mojave, and 6" Concentric coils on my Vaquero and Silver Sabre microMAX for example.

The White's MX-7 I bought a couple of weeks ago keeps the new 6½ Inch Concentric coil mounted full-time, and I have the standard 950 and Detech 7" DD each mounted on their own lower rods for quick changes afield, and they are in my accessory coil tote. My 2nd MX-7 should arrive today and I just need to decide if I'll keep a 950 Concentric or 7" DD mounted on it for different applications. :unsure:

John, in Nawth Carolina
Haven't been able to use my MXS a lot but the 7" didn't find any additional good targets in areas I used the 10'DD at. As a matter of fact, the MXS with 10" DD found 7 CW bullets that the Nokta with the 5" oor coil missed in a small 20'X20' area.
ALL detectors are capable of missing targets, or of finding targets. We have to put the coil over them to find them.

As I said earlier, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector and it is best to maintain a detector battery of models that complement each other in some way. When I was at White's I told Tom and Jim, the Distributor, that I know the MX-7 will be a very good 'fit' in my arsenal, and it will be a main unit to grab at many sites, but I assured them it wasn't going to bump my Nokta Impact, Relic or CoRe out of my arsenal because they are all very proven. Especially the FORS CoRe and most notably when the small 'OOR' coil is mounted. The MX-7 still brings a different performance level to the table and I know it/they will join my 'team' for a lot of hunt-time in the coming year. Most of that field time will be with the 6½ Inch Concentric coil, too.

John, in Nawth Carolina
Using what I can afford since 1976.
There have been times I have had to struggle to 'afford' a new detector, especially in the earlier years, and I have been doing so since early 1965. Looking back, so many of them were a lower-cost purchase but income was also more limited back then, and having six children seemed to impact some of my budget. Then they got way too expensive starting in '83 and it's really nice to see some of the major detector makers change things up in very recent years to bring us better products with more performance at a much more affordable MSRP. The MX-7 is a prime example. :thumbup:

ramairnut
The MX Sport goes deeper than what people think.:detecting:
I'm eager to welcome springtime so I can get out more with the MX-7. The dip in temperatures, with frozen and white-covered ground, sure cut into my 'fun time' since I got this device. I plan to hook up my trailer after Christmas and make a drive south to enjoy some warmer and drier weather for a week or two of hunting, and while most of my hunt sites are well littered and most coins, trade tokens and 'keepers' are 4" or less in depth, I did note that the MX-7 can provide ample depth-of-detection for those open-area searches.

I think White's has answered the need to provide a very functional detector at an affordable and competitive price, and one-upped this detector release by bringing us a very useful smaller coil in Concentric configuration. :clapping: Adds to the value and versatility of the MX-7 and MX Sport.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detector Team are from:
Makro Racer 2; Nokta Impact, Relic and CoRe; Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II microMAX, Silver Sabre microMAX and Mojave; White's MX-7 and XLT
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: COMING SOON for the MX Sport and MX-7 .... a 6½ Inch Concentric coil! :thumbup:
Posted by: GroundScanner
Date: December 20, 2017 08:55AM
I like the looks of the MX-7 with the 6 1/2 " coil. GS

Re: John, the 6½ Inch Concentric coil provides us with a different set of characteristics.
Posted by: John, in Nawth Carolina
Date: December 20, 2017 11:44AM
Monte, what do you think will be the advantage using White's 6.5" coil over the 7" coil?

Using what I can afford since 1976

Advantages of a 6½ Con, Vs 7" DD? It's all in the mind
Date: December 21, 2017 01:18AM
of the individual who is using the coil, and is based on the particular detector model and settings used. I have my own opinions to share, of course.

John, in Nawth Carolina
Monte, what do you think will be the advantage using White's 6.5" coil over the 7" coil?
As has been observed through the years of search coil performance comparisons, a similar-size Concentric coil is most generally going to:

a.. Produce a more consistent visual Target ID and audio Tone ID on opposing let-to-right and right-to-left sweeps over a target.

b.. Due to 'a' above, TID's will be 'tighter' and lack the spread often seen with a comparable-size Double-D coil.

c.. Concentric coils usually handle iron/ferrous-based targets better than a DD.

d.. Because of 'c' above the Concentric coil often provides better all-around Discrimination capabilities.

e.. Another point is that, as a rule, a Concentric can provide slightly better depth-of-detection than a comparably-sized DD in an open, sparse-target environment.

Keep in mind that I am not saying all Concentric coils work great and all Double-D coils don't. I know better than that, and I concede the fact that, by design, some metal detectors seem to perform better with a DD coil. Then, too, some detectors don't have a Concentric coil made for them so I can't compare in-the-field performance. That said, I will also stand by the results I have enjoyed after comparing similar-sized coils of each type and found that the all-around performance, in a wide variety of site environment and trash challenges, has favored what I get from a decent Concentric coil.

I have benefited from the performance I've had from the different 6½ Inch Concentric coils I owned from White's for over a quarter-century now, on numerous different models and operating frequencies, and with the short time spent with this coil on my new MX-7, I am very confident it isn't going to let me down now. This coil will stay mounted full-time to this MX-7 and it will be my primary-use White's detector. The holiday shipping seems to have caused a deal as my #2 MX-7 was supposed to be delivered Tuesday but is lost in the shuffle. I hope to have it here today, Thursday, and I'll use the same settings but mount my 7" DD Detech coil on it. Then over the next couple of months I am going to be doing a lot of side-by-side work to evaluate both coils of different types but very close physical size on located targets. It will be interesting, but I'm confident I know what the outcome will be. :wink:

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Makro Racer 2; Nokta Impact, Relic and CoRe; Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II microMAX, Silver Sabre microMAX and Mojave; White's MX-7 and XLT
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

(503) 481-8147

Re: Advantages of a 6½ Con, Vs 7" DD? It's all in the mind
Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: December 21, 2017 11:10AM
I am planing on getting one of the 6.5 inch concentric coil when Whites makes them for my wife MX7 as what I seen myself when I did the field test on one for the Minelab Sovereign. The Sovereigns use a double D coil and I really like the coils and the detector and thought that was the fact that they work the best, but I was surprise at what the concentric can do and made a believer out of me.
I did the 8 inch, 10 inch and a 12 inch test for non water hunting like in parks and school ball fields so it seen some trash and some iron areas. The 8 inch shock me for the finds from this place as I thought I had it cleaned out, the 10 inch didnt turn me on as I think there was something wrong with it and took the 12 inch to the front yard of where I had been over with my Sovereign and the SE Pro just to see what would happen and found more in the hour I was there than I did with the other detectors for the hours I had been there before. It was mostly wheaties and some IH pennies and one hole had a 1917,1918,1919 and a 1920 penny in one hole with that 12 inch coil in a area with a lot of nail and such in it. What really sold me was the nice 1907 Barber dime in another spot that everyone I know had worked this small area with their detectors.
I know I wanted to add these coils to my battery of detector and accessories , but these were the test coils and had to send them back for others to test for water use and said I would order the 8 and 12 if made, but that is when it was decided that the Sovereigns would be discontinued so the coils were never made. Tried the 8 inch concentric sold by Kellyco, but it didnt work that good and thought it was a bad coil, so got the second one and it too was not like the ones I tried of another company and sold it.
For my wife MX7 I ordered in the 8 inch DD coil so we will see what it will do compared to the 6.5 concentric Whites will be making and feel my wife will want to keep this coil on her MX7 and will have to sell the 8 inch DD coil.

Rick

Great idea, Rick(ND) but before the new search coil is released to order, would you
Date: December 22, 2017 09:04AM
put in an order for an early spring? The 'official' first day of Winter in the northern hemisphere was yesterday, the 21st, and it has already been pretty cold, white layered enough, and left us with very solid-frozen ground here in Eastern Oregon, and I don't think you're enjoying balmy weather where you are outdoors in shorts and a T-shirt, either. Spring, and summer, can't get here soon enough!

Rick(ND)
I am planing on getting one of the 6.5 inch concentric coil when Whites makes them for my wife MX7 as what I seen myself when I did the field test on one for the Minelab Sovereign.
I've enjoyed both Concentric and Double-D coils on a wide range of detectors, and sometimes a good DD coil works well enough for me and my needs at dense iron trashy sites. I keep different DD;s on two CoRe and another on one Relic for ready service. However, all too often I've found a Concentric coil to provide me with better general-purpose hunting results in the past. Today, I have a versatile arsenal of detectors and an ample array of search coils for them, of both design types, and can opt for either on most of my detectors, but have certain detector/coil assignments at-the-ready so I can grab-and-go when I reach a site.

I have 6" and 7" Concentrics on three Tesoro units, the 7" Concentric on my primary-use Impact, and the excellent 6½ Inch Concentric attached to my first-grabbed White's MX-7. I haven't ignored any larger-size Concentric coils for more open places, keeping a 5½X10 mid-sized Concentric on one FORS Relic, and the 950 Concentric on my other MX-7 I got yesterday

Rick(ND)
For my wife MX7 I ordered in the 8 inch DD coil so we will see what it will do compared to the 6.5 concentric Whites will be making and feel my wife will want to keep this coil on her MX7 and will have to sell the 8 inch DD coil.
What 8" DD? Do you mean the Detech 7" DD that is made for White's for the MX Sport and MX-7? I have that coil, also, and keep it on a spare lower rod, and when we get detecting weather back, or when I head south to some next month, I am going to work the 6½" Concentric and 7" DD coils side-by-side with identical settings and see how well they handle site conditions and compare at a variety of sites.

More than likely you are going to be correct on your search coil acquisition and departure.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login