Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Hmmmmmm cannot make up mind:confused:
Posted by: C.J.M.
Date: March 03, 2018 09:45AM
I HAVE A MX5 WITH 9" COIL, Thinking about an extra coil the choice i see is a 13" d.d. deteck or a 8x6 " SEF. coil , deeper vs. trash coil and maybe the same depth as the 9" coil?Appreciate the feed back :help:cjm

Re: Hmmmmmm cannot make up mind:confused:
Posted by: JEF
Date: March 03, 2018 11:35AM
I have the 6x8 sef butterfly coil on both my MXT Pro and my MX5 and I love it. It is a great little coil. I first got one for my MXT two or three years ago, and it has been on the MXT since then. I got one for my MX5 about a year ago, and it has been on the MX5 since then. I wish that Detech would start making one for the Sport and MX7 detectors. I would buy one for my MX7.

Current detectors:
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro Mojave
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Posted by: Diggindumbstuff
Date: March 03, 2018 09:08PM
6x8 for sure! My Dad has one on his M6 for 5years now and routinely kicks my rear. Me having a MXT Pro I thought for sure I could out hunt him. I have Whites coils 950,6x10,10D2 and Detech 5"round and Ultimate 13. I have put a lot of time in with each of these coils . 2 weeks ago my pops got me a Detech 6x8 and wow! NO WONDER. THIS COIL IS AWESOME! This coil has brought back some of that hope I had for all my "hunted out" sites. Works awesome around iron. Low and Slow. You will not be sorry. This will not be taken off my Pro for a long time.

Date: March 03, 2018 11:04PM
Also wanted to add... About 6 yrs ago i made a test garden with an Ike dollar a clad quarter and a dime all at about 8 inches. I could never hit any of them cause there is so much iron around them. The 950 would hit them the best but not consistantly. I dont think I would have found them if I didnt know they were there. Now using the Detech 6x8 I can hit all of them with ease. Even at below preset gain. It really is an awesome coil. Well worth the money. Not sure I will ever buy another Whites coil.

Posted by: Mega
Date: March 04, 2018 02:00AM
Albeit i dont own a MX-5 but i do own a SEF8x6 coil on my DFX and it basically stays on the detector almost 95% of the time,its a superb all round everyday day coil,nice and light,pinpoints well and the target separation is superb.I also use on on my T2 as well with great success.The 13'' coil is very good but would not be used as much as the smaller SEF coil,it would be the best option of course on wide open clear sites as this would give you extra ground coverage as well as some extra depth,but you would not get the target separation as with the smaller coil.

A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

Posted by: C.J.M.
Date: March 04, 2018 08:48AM
Detech makes a 7" d.d. coil for the MX SPORT,however no idea if it would feed my mx5 coil end its a 5point female :shrug:

Posted by: slingshot
Date: March 05, 2018 12:12PM
Quit posting about this coil! I'm trying not to spend any more money!!!:sadwalk:

Date: March 05, 2018 03:11PM
Haha..... Hey it would be the last money you spent on coils

My opinion on MX5 coils:whites:
Posted by: Hombre
Date: March 06, 2018 10:39PM
Everybody knows that concentric coils are best for depth and discrimination, I would not use a DD coil on my MX5. If you like digging rusty steel bottle caps, then go ahead and buy a DD coil. My personal opinion on coils for the MX5 would be to use the stock 9" spider coil on more open and less targeted areas and then for the junkie areas use the excellent 5.3 Eclipse coil.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 10:41PM by Hombre.

Re: My opinion on MX5 coils:whites:
Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: March 06, 2018 11:16PM
Hombre
. My personal opinion on coils for the MX5 would be to use the stock 9" spider coil on more open and less targeted areas and then for the junkie areas use the excellent 5.3 Eclipse coil.

Agree 100% with Hombre. Th only two coils I have for my MXT and M6 are the Eclipse 5.3 and the 9' Spider coil.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Nope, no need for anything else.
Posted by: Monte
Date: March 07, 2018 06:32AM
One MX-5 + 9" Concentric for open areas + 6½" Concentric for everything else and general-purpose day-to-day use = a nice 'package'. That's all I need for the MXT All-Pro as well.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detector Team are various models from: Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Other models on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Date: March 07, 2018 10:48AM
It does like bottle caps.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: March 07, 2018 05:24PM
Thanks Hombre, OregonGregg, and Monte. I love my stock coil and the setup would be my choice also for a competition hunt. Gosh I love this machine!:whites:

Posted by: JEF
Date: March 07, 2018 07:44PM
I have the whites 5.3 and 9” spider coils, and those are the ones that I would use if I did any ghost town hunting. But for the type of hunting that I do (local parks and schools) the self 6x8 works extremely well. For some reason, I don’t have much of a problem with bottle caps. Also, our metal detecting club has a list of junk items that they call a scavenger hunt (pull tabs, bottle caps,etc.). During our monthly meeting they draw three different types of scavenger items, and whoever has found the most of each item gets a silver dime. So I don’t mind finding bottle caps (LOL).

Current detectors:
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro Mojave
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Posted by: dcleghorn
Date: March 08, 2018 12:01PM
First post here. Thinking of getting a MX7.

Would the 6x8 sef butterfly coil work on an MX7 machine? Would it or the coil the MX7 comes with be best?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login