Findmall.com

White's Main Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Help Still Needed on Vintage White's Coinmaster
Posted by: mvpfrank
Date: May 29, 2018 05:37PM
As of this writing after 4 days & 114 members reading my previous post nobody has given me any response. As of today even White's Customer Service hasn't given me accurate info on my CM#3, Serial# F291 manufacture date P/68. I've attached a photo this time. I've never owned a Metal Detector before but I an a Ham Radio operator so I'm pretty savvy on electronic things. Here's where I'm at; This unit takes 2 - 9V batteries & they both check out perfectly on the meter. I don't really know what the Radio Tuner is for. When I turn the unit on I get a tone on the speaker & when I put the Null pointer to 10pm position & the Radio dial at 10 I get the loudest tone. I put a few quarters on the floor & when I sweep the coil across them the tone goes up as I pass over them however the dial on the meter doesn't move. Remember the meter does work when I test the batteries. So where do I go from here? Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help Still Needed on Vintage White's Coinmaster
Posted by: straker
Date: May 29, 2018 09:07PM
I don't know anything about these older units,but here is the owners manual and it should help somewhat.

CM 3

Date: May 29, 2018 09:17PM
Thank you very much! Even White's Customer Service couldn't send me this! This is a great start!

Posted by: Sven
Date: June 18, 2018 05:02AM
Most BFO detectors operate the same way with the same controls. Very basic detectors.
You can also use Bounty hunter BFO manuals etc. http://www.whiteriverprep.com/vintage/bhvintage/bhI_II_III.html

Makro Multi-Kruzer, and few others
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Posted by: slingshot
Date: June 18, 2018 07:49AM
Well, I've had several bfo units and judging from your comments you don't want the loudest tone as you're too far into the metal zone and the needle will always peg and never move. At least back off the sound to where it just goes silent and work adjusting from there.

Date: June 18, 2018 07:56AM
It doesn't peg full gauge. It never moves from the left. Only times the meter moves is when testing batteries.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: June 18, 2018 10:50AM
Had one detector like that. Meter is somewhere disconnected from DETECTION circuitry.

Posted by: irnwrkr
Date: July 06, 2018 04:59AM
What's your c.s.

Date: July 06, 2018 07:04AM
Don't know what you mean by c.s.

Posted by: irnwrkr
Date: July 06, 2018 12:51PM
Call sign

Date: July 06, 2018 01:09PM
The only call sign I have is my Ham one WA1UYM. I'm just a guy that came across this metal detector & want to find out how to use it.

Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: July 06, 2018 03:19PM
Frank, the problem with your CM3 is that date: 1968. All the people who were involved with the design and production of that model are dead. Also, back then designs were changing on a nightly basis. I collect old vintage detectors, probably got around 50 of the old White's, and it's tough to find 2 identical units. Your CM3 appears to be a BFO, but there was also a TR version of the CM3. So there are variants galore.

Although White's tries to service anything post-tube era, they don't have an old-timer who knows these old circuits. Like I said, they're all gone. And they do have a lot of the old schematics, but they are on huge mylar sheets and not easy to find or scan. If you really want to get this thing back to 100%, my suggestion is to trace out the circuit. Should take a couple of hours. If you can't figure out the problem, post the schematic and I'll jump back in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login