Findmall.com

Main Comparison Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Eclipse 950 vs. 9"Spider Eclipse
Posted by: vito
Date: August 11, 2018 05:18AM
Hello detectorists.

Having the Eclipse 950 stock coil for the MXT and DFX the question is,
what will the 9" Spider do better than the 950isch?

If that question was answered in the past I'm sorry for,
but a forum search didn't show a result close to the question.

Your responses are much appreciated.

current stuff:
White's :whites: ......- VX3 / MXT / DFX / TRX / DigMaster Digger / SpectraSound Wireless Headphones
Coils.................. - Deep Scan 1400DD / Super 12 / 10" DD Round / 6x10 DD / 950 / 4x6 DD
Fisher :fisher: - CZ70 Pro
Coils...................- 10.5" Spider / 8" Spider
DetectorPro .......- Jolly Rogers Headphones

Re: Eclipse 950 vs. 9"Spider Eclipse
Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: August 11, 2018 05:50AM
I have both, and I'm pretty sure they are electrically the same, just different housings. The 9" Spider is lighter, balances better, and overall easier to work with. I use it a lot on my V3i since it gets good depth and coverage and ID's very well. I also use it some on my MXT and it's good coil.

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro
Past: Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800, White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, + many others
Detecting since 1980

I have the 950 for my XLT and MX-7 and the 9" open-frame for my MX-5.
Posted by: Monte
Date: August 12, 2018 10:56PM
The 950 Concentric coil is basically ugly, in my opinion, and is a dated design that's been around for 30 years. The 9" open-frame (aka 'spider') concentric is a more recent design from White's and is more 'modern' looking or more 'fashionable' in the detector world. It also balances a little better because the rod-mount is a little closer to the coil's center axis.

Because it looks good, balances better and works quite well in more open, sparse-target areas, I prefer it. What I can't figure is why White's hasn't used this nice open-frame design for the MX Sport and MX-7? It would be much more appealing, I believe, to the hole-in-the-middle and dated 950. Performance afield is essentially the same between these two coils so it really gets down to looks and the balance & feel to determine a favorite.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: vito
Date: August 14, 2018 01:35PM
Hello Wayfarer and Monte.

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate it.

While reading your posts I decided not to buy a new 9" spider because
there is a very well tuned and deep going 950ish in the arsenal.
(I think all the new style ones are as deep as this one is.)
May be I can add a used one in the future if only balance is the goal.
(may be someone here in the neighborhood is going to trade for a 1400 DD or a Super 12)

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

current stuff:
White's :whites: ......- VX3 / MXT / DFX / TRX / DigMaster Digger / SpectraSound Wireless Headphones
Coils.................. - Deep Scan 1400DD / Super 12 / 10" DD Round / 6x10 DD / 950 / 4x6 DD
Fisher :fisher: - CZ70 Pro
Coils...................- 10.5" Spider / 8" Spider
DetectorPro .......- Jolly Rogers Headphones

Posted by: DFXDon
Date: September 04, 2018 01:33PM
Its lighter but all most the same as the 950 coil
DFXDon

Central Minnesota
Detectors used, Whites Vision With V3i upgrade, Two V3i's,& VX3, Several DFXs, MX-SPORT, Whites TRX Pin pointer ,Sun Ray DX1 probe, GMT, conquistador, Garrett 2500, Ace250,Several ATPro's with all of the factory coils, ATMax ,Sea Hunter,Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Mine Lab E-TRAC, Explorer,70,& Two 705s with all the Mine Lab 705 coils with lower rods and coil bolts,all the whites V rated coils for the V3i, You have reached the end of the trail, the buck stops here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login