Findmall.com

Main Comparison Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Any reason NOT to Equx800 over an AT-Max?
Posted by: TnShooter
Date: October 28, 2018 09:04PM
Years ago I stared with an ACE-250.
Then I was blessed with the opportunity to hunt with some off the best relic hunters I the U.S.
One of which was Carl Mathius. He was at a time a Representative for Garrett Detectors. Very nice guy.
But as time went on, I bought an MXT as it seemed best for me and relic hunting at the time.
Now I've come to want and need a machine capable of going in the water.

I started with a Garrett and the people at garret always treated me nice.
My problem is, I want a Garrett but think the Eqox800 maybe the better choice for my detecting.

I am a relic hunter.
Never been into jewelry or coins that much.

Other than price, is there any reason not to choose the 800 over the AT-Max?
I'd love to own the Garrett, but can't afford both.
So, I'll need to buy the one that is better for relic hunting.

I mostly hunt the South Eastern U.S.

Re: Any reason NOT to Equx800 over an AT-Max?
Posted by: Southwind
Date: October 29, 2018 10:50AM
Personally I'd go 800. But then I traded my AT MAX back to an AT Pro because I just didn't care for the MAX. My 800 I like far better due to a more stable target ID, very important to me, and weight, light as a feather, and easy to navigate the menus.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: Druid
Date: November 02, 2018 01:48PM
I would take the Equinox 800 over the AT Max in a heartbeat, better ergonomics, and depth and the Multi IQ is currently on the cutting edge of VLF technology.
Just a suggestion, you may want to look into the waterproof Nokta Makro units as well, Multi Kruzer and Anfibio are both killer machines, simple menu to navigate so less learning curve that the Nox, good coil selection, and they do go deep.
Cheers,
Drew.

Posted by: u2robert
Date: November 04, 2018 02:49PM
Druid, Multi- Frequency Detectors have been around sense the early 90's Fisher CZ Series, Minelab BBS FBS units and White's DFX unit. so not so much cutting edge technology. Just saying

Posted by: Druid
Date: November 04, 2018 03:54PM
True that Robert,
I have had all the detectors you listed. I guess what is new on Equinox is the algorithms used and the effects thereof on depth and target ID.
It does perform in the real world in a wide variety of hunting situations. Did it obsolete all other single frequency VLF detectors? I would say that is just marketing hyperbole.
Definitely believe the EQ 800 will beat any of the Garrett AT units in most or all hunting condition/situations.
JMHO.
Cheers,
Drew.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login