Findmall.com

Main Comparison Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
MX7 finds me some silver like a boss
Posted by: dfmike
Date: December 07, 2018 02:36PM
I posted this here since it used to be the Whites forum. I hope there are still some Whites users lurking about...

I have a love-hate relationship with this detector but when it's good, it's better than good. I'm coming to grips with the noise it makes and making more sense of it with time. This is the result of my 2 last hunts in -5 C or 23 F weather. There is a 2 inch crust of ice and snow on the ground but despite that, I get very good depth with the six shooter concentric coil and sensitivity at 8.

This is from a wooded area that I had never detected before. I had detected the immediate surroundings with very little success. It is littered with rusty bottle caps and tin bits ans cans of all kinds. It's as if there was one gigantic party many decades ago. I have been told many times over that there is nothing more to be found there and I was beginning to believe it until...

Photo 1-2 shows some of my good finds: An old toy gun from the Lone Star company (circa 1950's), a few bullets (my third 9mm bullet from the area and a slightly smaller bullet ?) One of the spoons has the inscription nickel-silver in the back and apparently it contains zero silver content. Could be bronze. The other one is made of thick iron and was very deep. Unfortunately it was broken in three pieces. I found the black rock at about 3 inches. Is it coal, a fragment of meteorite ? I have no idea but the detector likes it and so does the pin pointer. The badge could be police and is from 1919. I broke it while trying to fix the slight warp it had !!! I kicked myself for doing so. Please don't mess with your finds too much. The ointment container is from 1937-1940 and has the slightly scary word anthrax written on it. The Poulenc pharmaceutical company started in France in the early 1800's.

Photo 3-4 shows the three silver coins I found yesterday: A bluenose dime from 1940, 1952 and a beautiful 1925 mercury dime (kind of scarce in Canada). I found a few pennies from 1934, 1937, 1940 and 1944. The ladies makeup compact was found at about 10 inches with a rock on top, plenty of bottle caps around and bits of newspaper wrapped around it. I found a few bits of legible writing that could allow me to date the find approximately. There is mention about a German Zeppelin tour with a Dr. Hugo at the helm and in another section, there were a few classified adds with cars from 1927 and 1928 for sale.

This is why I love metal detection. It's not just about monetary value, it's about going back in time and honoring the memories of those who came before us. It makes for fascinating discoveries. HH

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

What detecting is all about....:thumbup:
Posted by: Elton
Date: December 07, 2018 02:39PM
Interesting historical type finds....... Good job.

Administrator of Finds Treasure Forums
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Re: MX7 finds me some silver like a boss
Date: December 07, 2018 07:01PM
Thanks Elton.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Very nice finds.:thumbup:
Posted by: ohio fred
Date: December 08, 2018 12:09PM
Those finds make me want to go out.

Re: MX7 is. Good detector can run
Posted by: ohio fred
Date: December 08, 2018 12:13PM
Can run with the big boys.Will get some good depth.Also pick up small targets.Big plus depth meter very accurate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 12:16PM by ohio fred.

Date: December 08, 2018 04:53PM
And that pin pointing accuracy with the six shooter coil... nothing quite like it.

MX7 finds from the following weekend
Date: December 18, 2018 09:05AM
I went back to the same place a week after and found a few interesting items. I was once again impressed with the MX7's ability to go deep despite the layer of snow on the ground. My first find was a 1942 nickel in great condition on both sides. A few feet away, I found the 1953 silver quarter. The 1918 large cent was found further away at 7-8 inches under the snow as were the pennies (a 1928, a 1936 and all others including 2 wheats from the 40's and 50's). I found my first 16 gauge shotgun shell. It has the words Kynoch Black no.16 on it. I also found a tube of Foille antiseptic liquid and the golden hollow object seen in the picture (I can make out what seems to be Durham, Warren and York on top but super faint). Any idea what this is ??? It's super light, just slightly thicker than tin.

Posted by: vito
Date: December 18, 2018 09:59AM
Hello.
Some great finds. Congratulation.
Sounds like you had some detecting-fun.
Thanks for sharing.

current stuff:
White's :whites: ......- VX3 / MXT / DFX / TRX / DigMaster Digger / SpectraSound Wireless Headphones
Coils.................. - Deep Scan 1400DD / Super 12 / 10" DD Round / 6x10 DD / 950 / 4x6 DD
Fisher :fisher: - CZ70 Pro
Coils...................- 10.5" Spider / 8" Spider
DetectorPro .......- Jolly Rogers Headphones

+++ We Do Bad Things To Bad People +++

Posted by: cal
Date: December 18, 2018 07:45PM
Your knocking them dead, Mike! Congrats!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login