Findmall.com

Main Comparison Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Advice on which detector to get
Posted by: sissylala69s
Date: February 06, 2019 10:49AM
Hi
I'm new to detecting and am looking for advice about the best unit for me
I realize everyone's opinion is different but am hoping that if I tell y'all what my goals and budget are, I can finally make a decision
I have researched til I thought my head was going to explode and I'm no closer to a decision than when I started looking 2 weeks ago
1st of all, my budget is $200
I'd like something that will truly differentiate between coins, gold, bottle caps, cans, can tops, nails, screws, nuts,rebar, etc
AND that is user friendly with easily adjustable settings?
The sensitivity/all metal/disc etc settings on H.F. unit were terrible....the tones all sounded the same and it didn't ignore ANY metal
Writing this, I'm wondering if it's realistic to think I can find a user friendly, easily adjustable unit that actually differentiates between metals and doesn't take forever to learn to use for less than $200...a girl can dream right?
Thanks in advance

Re: Advice on which detector to get
Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: February 06, 2019 05:32PM
Ummm well , the machine that can truly differentiate all those targets hasnt been invented yet but any decent machine with practice certainly will give you a better idea of whats down there.. under $200 is your biggest obstacle, they show up every so often in used detectors forum at the bottom of the page..i would imagine anything would be better than harbor freight unit but I don't know as i havent used one.. there was an omega tecknetics that was for sale for $195 back in December, that would have a great unit for the money... perhaps a used ace 250 or simular unit would suffice till you find enough loot to trade up..good luck...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 05:40PM by bootyhoundpa.

Posted by: Tahts-a-dats-ago
Date: February 06, 2019 05:46PM
Of the machines in your price range ($200 or less) the only one that I've used is the Tesoro Compadre. It is a very capable machine - light in weight, good build quality, fast recovery, and it is a blast to use. It's also a very easy machine to learn. It isn't a deep machine though (about 6-7 inches max) and the ground balance is pre-set. It is pretty much a turn it on, set the discrimination where you want it (say - foil) and dig every target that beeps. There's only the one tone though, but in time you'll learn that a good target just sounds better somehow.

It doesn't have a pin-point mode though (it isn't needed) and there is no depth meter (again - not really needed). Unless you thumb the discrimination knob (while swinging over a target) you won't have a real clue as to what the target is - until you've dug the target.

The major brands all offer entry level machines - all of which will be superior to the HF machine (both in build quality and performance).

Contact a forum sponsor (one of the dealers here) for great service and price. I highly recommend Richard at Backwoodsmetaldetectors.com

V3i
MX5
BH 300
MX Sport
Euro Tek Pro
Compadre
Makro Multi Kruzer

Gone...

CTX 3030
Etrac
G2
F4
Bandido

Date: February 06, 2019 06:21PM
Thanks, I'll do that
Since I'm normally a "Buy now, kick myself later" kind of person am pretty proud of myself for not rushing out and buying the 1st detector I saw that claimed to be everything I'm looking for
How much more (than $200) would you say I need to spend to get something that discriminates metals better than average, shows depth, has obvious tones and is easy to adjust?
If it's not a huge jump, I'd rather wait and get what I'll be happy with
I don't suppose there are units available that xray the ground so you can see a picture of what's there, then go all transformer & dig the item up for you...AFTER it brings you a beer, are there?
J/k
What fun would that be?

Posted by: Elton
Date: February 06, 2019 08:51PM
sissylala69s
Thanks, I'll do that
Since I'm normally a "Buy now, kick myself later" kind of person am pretty proud of myself for not rushing out and buying the 1st detector I saw that claimed to be everything I'm looking for
How much more (than $200) would you say I need to spend to get something that discriminates metals better than average, shows depth, has obvious tones and is easy to adjust?
If it's not a huge jump, I'd rather wait and get what I'll be happy with
I don't suppose there are units available that xray the ground so you can see a picture of what's there, then go all transformer & dig the item up for you...AFTER it brings you a beer, are there?
J/k
What fun would that be?

Your funny LOL :rofl: Welcome to the forum... Check with one of the sponsors..They can advise you..or if there is a dealer near you stop by look at all the detectors and then make your choice..... Click on the banners at top of forums..Read about their products... I am still working on getting my detector to bring me a beer and dig up the target.... Oh make sure you do buy a good digger when you get the detector...... and consider a pin pointer too...

Administrator of Finds Treasure Forums
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Date: February 06, 2019 09:07PM
I crack myself up all the time
There is not a single store that sells them in my little one horse town
The nearest place that sells them is 2 hours away
I thought there'd be more interest in my area cuz there's a lot of gold mining but no clubs came up
Anyway, thanks for the replies

Posted by: Elton
Date: February 06, 2019 09:20PM
A road trip to get the right detector would be well worth while...... contacting one of our sponsors would be worth while too....
A sponsor list is at the top of the first page when you log on..

Administrator of Finds Treasure Forums
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Posted by: REVIER
Date: February 07, 2019 07:52AM
You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a great, capable detector.

Back in 2010 I bought a $200 detector, a Fisher F2, over the next 3 years I used that thing and it paid for itself more than 10x's it's cost.
Clad galore, some relics, older coins and a whole bunch of silver and gold jewelry.
Not a ton of really old coins and silver coins because I was mostly a jewelry hunter at the time but I still found many.
It was simple and basic with only a few adjustments but they were enough because I learned the target behavior so well which is exactly what I do with every detector I own.

The current Fisher lineup got rid of the F2 but replaced it The F22...for around your $200 price point.
Light years ahead of that HF unit, great disc, lots of clues using both tones and screen into behavior...as would be a few others also near that price.
Stick to the major american brands and you should be ok.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
Currently using an F70 and a Mojave....and a Nox.

Posted by: u2robert
Date: February 10, 2019 12:06AM
sissylala69s
I crack myself up all the time
There is not a single store that sells them in my little one horse town
The nearest place that sells them is 2 hours away
I thought there'd be more interest in my area cuz there's a lot of gold mining but no clubs came up
Anyway, thanks for the replies

Check this out there a website called Amazon
You can pay over the internet (wait for it)
They will ship it to your door. Holy Cow

Posted by: dfmike
Date: February 10, 2019 02:00PM
I would probably go with REVIER's suggestion and get a Fisher F22 or a Teknetics Delta 4000. The Teknetics is right in your price range (for a brand new one). For a total newbie it's easier to set up than an F22, it's light, has an easy to read screen and is a very close relative to the more complex, more expensive and well liked Omega. You could also go second hand and if ever you decide that whatever model you chose is not for you, just sell the detector and lose very little if anything.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Date: February 10, 2019 06:59PM
u2robert

Check this out there a website called Amazon
You can pay over the internet (wait for it)
They will ship it to your door. Holy Cow

No way?!?
Are you pulling my leg?
Hmm Learn something new every day
Problem being, I want a metal detector
I don't have any use for webs
Or Amazons for that matter
But gosh, thanks for the SUPER helpful input

Date: February 10, 2019 07:28PM
Thanks for (almost) all the input, suggestions and advice
I bought the HF unit on a whim, (aka buy now, kick later) and I thought it was representative of a low end unit
I was leery of spending a couple hundred bucks to end up with eleventy billion bottle caps, beer tabs, soda cans, nails and a couple hundred 10 year old crusty pennies
But with everything said here, I realize that it was lower than the lower end of a low end unit lol
I am going to Oklahoma this week and plan on looking when I'm there
I'm hoping they'll be cheaper there but since I'm flying, I'm not sure if it will be a problem at the airport (on my way home)
I guess I'll have to look Wonder Woman up and ask her to arrange for an Amazonian deliver it to my door

Posted by: chuck, ky
Date: February 10, 2019 09:57PM
Amazon is just one of many companies that sell detectors. Any of the sponsors on here can help you and there are many ways to have it shipped. I prefer the Postal Service but that's because I worked there 34+ years. Good luck.

Posted by: El
Date: February 10, 2019 10:32PM
Did you get one?

Date: February 14, 2019 04:49PM
No, I haven't gotten one yet
I just got to Ok Tuesday and have been seeing family the last couple of days
I'm hoping to start shopping for one this weekend
Any suggestions on specific stores or search terms to bring up local stores w/out having to weed through all the online sites?
I know I can get one online but I'm more of a "hands on" shopper
Oh, and I'm in Podunk, Ok aka BFE
Closest decent sized town is 2 hours away but there's a couple of big name Sporting Goods and Dept stores w/in an hour

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login