Findmall.com

Technology Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Mirage Beach Hunter Pi Project
Posted by: Sven
Date: September 24, 2018 05:26AM
Cannibalized some White's Beach Hunter ID parts awhile back for a water hunting project.
Something I have been working on and off for two years after I fried the first circuit board by reversing the battery wires. So it sat, until a new board was made. And in the meantimesold the search coil I had made for it.

Well, this weekend it all came together. Used the search coil I made for it a week ago and an new circuit board built a year ago.

Was planning on selling it until I fired it up with the new 9.5" circuit board That was also calibrated a year ago.

Surprised, how stable and that this is one of the hottest units I have built. Still got a clear threshold change passing my 14kt gold wedding band across the coil at 16".

Think I will be keeping this one, at least until I get another water unit made up.

Nokta/Makro Anfibio-Multi, Makro Multi-Kruzer, and few others
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 05:26AM by Sven.

Re: Mirage Beach Hunter Pi Project
Posted by: Daddy
Date: September 27, 2018 11:30AM
Dang it, Sven. Now, my unit won't be the first.

Was planning to do the same thing with one of the kits that I got from you. Still have it and the other kit that you sent, just as I received them, in pieces! I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get to working on them?? To be honest, I have a hard time seeing the parts. hah!

Nice job on the unit. :clapping:

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Posted by: Daddy
Date: September 27, 2018 12:32PM
What size coil is that, Sven?

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Date: September 27, 2018 07:09PM
Daddy
What size coil is that, Sven?

I used the new 9.5" spoked coil shell design from from Don.

One day you'll get one finished, a good winters project............a good set of magnifying glasses work wonders for many.

Posted by: daverave
Date: October 02, 2018 02:33PM
Hi Sven

nice to see your project using the beach hunter ID box....i bought one of these boxes about a year ago and im trying to install a tdi pro in the box and im slowly getting there...i had to modify the battery box to take four li-ion batteries....i have heard stories of these boxes leaking under water but i only intend using it in the surf and not diving...as i cannot swim anyway :smile:

Date: October 02, 2018 06:23PM
daverave
Hi Sven

nice to see your project using the beach hunter ID box....i bought one of these boxes about a year ago and im trying to install a tdi pro in the box and im slowly getting there...i had to modify the battery box to take four li-ion batteries....i have heard stories of these boxes leaking under water but i only intend using it in the surf and not diving...as i cannot swim anyway :smile:

I can see them leak if the rubber o-ring isn't in place correctly. Also the center mounting screw hole tabs on the upper lid tend to crack. Possibly due to the screws not being put on in a particular order and torqued down to tight. Put the o-ring and lid on can be a real pain. The fastest easiest way I found was to clean the o-ring, do not lube with silicone grease yet. Place on lower box, then wipe some lube on it gently. Then carefully place the top on. A pre-lubed o-ring has a mind of its own and won't stay put- plus its messy, get all over things......

Now that this Mirage is finished, I will continue on with my new waterproof build. Good for 200' submersed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login