Findmall.com

Fisher Classic Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Colonial Wax Seal closeup
Bill Ladd-525
Date: January 02, 2005 07:13PM
kinda a crummy pic as it was taken under a lamp & is yelloish. I'll get a better shot tommorrow in the daylight. This really shows the detail in the stone of some colonial dudes head...who knows who? Hopefully the bust of a famous guy so I can get me a new car You can see the obvoius 1700's pony tail wig thing & even like a tied thing around his neck....

some info....
Bill Ladd-525
Date: January 03, 2005 09:23AM
<!--billl-->
here's some basic info on wax seal history.......
"The act of sealing documents has been practised for centuries. It was initiated as proof of authorization in a time when few people could read or write, and to ensure that commitments, decrees, testaments, deeds, and other such important written records were, in fact, issued by those who had purported to have issued them, and who had the authority to issue them. Sealing a document also gave assurance that it had not been altered or otherwise tampered with during delivery. Early seals were designed to identify a family

Wax seals are nice finds
Don in SJ
Date: January 03, 2005 02:46PM
Could you post another view of it, like a side view and rear view??
D

Real nice seal Will
Colchester Chris
Date: January 04, 2005 03:49AM
WOW that is a nice one!
mtdoramike
Date: January 04, 2005 06:40AM
yes I gutta back view.....
Bill Ladd-525
Date: January 04, 2005 07:15AM
<!--billl-->
I'll show later, as I think this seal has come off it's matrix. I have been reading about fob seals. This could be one of those? But I've found so many matrix's without the seal...now I think I did the opposite

Wow !!
Gatehider
Date: January 04, 2005 08:36AM
BL,
Wicked nice seal....one of the nicest finds I have seen!
Good way to start the New Year....best find of 2005 so early? Now what are you going to do for the rest of the year??
GH

probably hard to value......
Bill Ladd 720
Date: January 04, 2005 12:49PM
<!--billl-->
unless someone can figure out who that guy is.....could be impossible....too bad there's no initials.
seems like the really rich people had gold seals. Lets see your sooper rare "bootin".......

Might have been pressed into a holder like this one
Don in SJ
Date: January 05, 2005 08:45AM
You can always send it to me and I will see if it fits!
Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login