Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Nel Thunder Coil
Posted by: 54bogger
Date: October 29, 2018 04:38PM
I'm looking at buying a nel's thunder coil for my F75+ and was wondering if anyone here has tried them and how you liked them.
Also, who would have the best price on these coils? Thanks

Re: Nel Thunder Coil
Posted by: Daniel,SR
Date: October 29, 2018 04:45PM
Too much weight. The same work is done by Mars Tiger or Detech SEF 12x10

Date: October 29, 2018 05:20PM
I heard they were fairly light, what did you have the thunder on?

Posted by: REVIER
Date: October 29, 2018 07:30PM
I have the Cors Cannon coil for my F70, same coil as the Thunder.
I like it, a little bit heavier than the standard 11" DD but not much...I got used to it right away.
Seems a bit deeper than the 11"DD, honestly I don't have a lot of hours on it because the spots I hunt are super trashy and full of iron so the Nel Sharpshooter is my prime coil but I don't regret buying it.
It is sensitive, deep and like the Nel coil measurably quieter than the Fisher factory coils.
Quieter means hotter settings if I choose to use them.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
Currently using an F70 and a Mojave....and a Nox.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: October 29, 2018 07:52PM
I agree with Daniel. I bought it for my F19 and it threw the balance of the detector out of whack. I much prefer my Ultimate for a big coil or the Tiger which I also have. It's possible that NEL dropped the weight on it in recent years but when I had it, it was definitely heavier than the 2 other coils I mentioned.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Posted by: Trailduster
Date: November 04, 2018 06:02PM
I had the Thunder on my F70. I liked it. Like REVIER said. It was a tad heavier than the stock 11" DD, but not over whelming and well balanced. It was lighter than the NEL Tornado I had on my F2.

In the end, I wound up selling off the 11" DD to offset the price of the Thunder because I didn't use the 11" anymore. It was a significant upgrade.

Full disclosure. I have a Thunder for sale in the classified section because I sold my F70 so take what I say with a grain of salt as you will. But I'm sure if you search the "F" forum there should be some previous threads from others if I remember correctly.

Having used the F70 for 5'ish years, the Thunder and 5" DD were my favorite coils out of all the ones I owned. (11" DD, 5" DD, Thunder, Sharpshooter, 6" football, factory concentric.

Re: Nel Thunder Coil:shrug:
Posted by: C.J.M.
Date: November 09, 2018 04:26PM
Hmmmm try the Nel's" Sharp Shooter"that works excellent on f-75 very reasonable.

Date: November 10, 2018 10:56AM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Posted by: kevinnc
Date: November 10, 2018 10:22PM
Might have some trouble ground balancing in some places, especially on farm land.

Date: November 12, 2018 04:47PM
Well I decided to go another route, I bought the 15in fisher coil for the f75.
I tried it in my small test garden and it has performed better for me than either of the nel thunder coils that I've tried.
I called fisher and talked to David Snell and he told me that the 15in coil was for deep larger targets and not designed to be a coin hunting coil.
He said if I was after coins that I should stick with the stock coil. I thanked him for being straight with me and not just trying to sell me on it.
After only trying it in my test garden and yard I believe its going to be a good tool to have in my tool box.

BTW- It is heavier than the stock coil for sure but not as heavy as some have said.

I'll give an update when I take it out in the field a few times.

Date: November 12, 2018 05:25PM
Good choice sense you have the new model. I am convinced the Bigger Nel coils won't work right on the LTD or the + detectors,, T2+ also. I have both and tried 3 Cors/ Nel coils and none would ground balance right 95% of the time, especially on farm land.

Posted by: david bull
Date: November 12, 2018 08:40PM
In good soil with little mineralization, a larger coil probably works well with noticeable gains in depth.In highly mineralized soil,a larger coil will lose depth simply because it is reading the additional reflected signal,which masks the target.In my red dirt/heavily fertilized farm fields a 3" deep minnieball will id as an iron target unless you do the "wiggle" and watch for jumping vdi's.I've had better luck with a 8"x 6" SEF in such situations.

Date: November 13, 2018 09:23AM
Kevinnc- All I can say for sure is that those two thunder coils that I tried on my f75+ left me very disappointed.

David bull- I agree with you on the mineralized ground, I'm thankful that we don't have very bad soil here around Charleston,S.C.

Date: November 15, 2018 03:44PM
Those big coils seem great in air test, but if they don't ground balance right, they are crippled in the dirt where it counts. My F75ltd wouldn't even Ground balance with the Hunter coil that is about the size of the stock coil.

Posted by: BLOODHOUND1970
Date: December 26, 2018 06:14PM
kevinnc
Those big coils seem great in air test, but if they don't ground balance right, they are crippled in the dirt where it counts. My F75ltd wouldn't even Ground balance with the Hunter coil that is about the size of the stock coil.

Kevinnc, mine will only ground balance manually with the Hunter coil, but it will manually. However it is less than an inch deeper on a quarter in my soil. It is not worth the extra weight IMO. The stock coil is awesome and the five inch blows my mind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login