Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
F44 owners or former owners .. Name 2 things ....
Posted by: Monte
Date: November 30, 2018 01:32AM
Just the 2 things you like most about the F44 as well as the 2 things least like about the F44. It can be related to the physical packaging, the search coil, the display and adjustment functions, the field performance or ???? Just tell be the Two Best Things and Two Worst Things, in your opinion, about this model.

And if you're hesitant to post it here and get in an argument with somebody, just shoot me an e-mail to: montevb@comcast.net

Thanks,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic,
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Re: F44 owners or former owners .. Name 2 things ....
Posted by: Kraemer
Date: November 30, 2018 08:09PM
Waterproof and backlight are great options. Teardrop coil and lack of depth are only two drawbacks I can think of. Although for the price it’s hard to beat!

'Thank You.' All opinions help.N/T
Date: November 30, 2018 08:52PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: TheHunterGT
Date: December 01, 2018 02:34PM
Hard to just pick 2 things to like about it....positives easily outweigh the negatives.

Notch volume is probably #1 favorite. Reminds me of the Omega with the same option. The teardrop coil is probably my #2 favorite. That coil tip can be used like a small sniper coil if you angle and get wiggly with it. Almost like 2 coils in one.

Least favorite thing is membrane switches...not a fan on any detector (or microwave).
2nd least favorite is the screw on coil....I am actually a fan of the push-in style on the Bounty Hunters as I change coils often and just find it easier. I realize I am probably in the minority on that...but all my audio and other push-in cables are working dandy still.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: December 02, 2018 06:26AM
I agree with THGT on the membrane switches. To me the best feature and the #1 reason why I bought it was that at its price point, nothing offered so many features at the time. When I tested it, it was slightly deeper than my F5 or Omega 8000 with similar settings and identical coil. The detector felt almost weightless with the stock coil and I really appreciated that as well (much like the MX7 I have now in that regard). My number one pet peeve and the reason why I sold it was that it falsed like crazy even with moderate sensitivity selected. I could not tell if a target was good or bad by sound only. I had to rely on the screen all the time because I couldn't make sense of all the sounds and clipped sounds it made. I had an early model and that might have been the issue. It might have been addressed since then. It wasn't coil related. If I was to buy one today, I would buy a new one just to make sure it has the latest firmware and I could easily return it. Just my 2 cents.

I did find a lot of good stuff with it when I had it but it was never a joy to use. It tested my patience until I had no more. Although it shares the same frequency as the Omega 8000 and F5 (well almost) I felt there was a night and day difference in the way these detectors behave sound wise.

If I knew without the shadow of a doubt that the falsing issues that I had were completely resolved, I'd buy another one just to have a good feature rich detector as a backup I could use without a cover when the weather does not cooperate.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Mike, after a couple of days with the F44 ....
Date: December 03, 2018 03:50PM
I feel I made a decent investment. Maybe even better than I had initially intended! I have planned to do a little trimming of my detector group because I have a few too many duplicate models or just excess. I need to reduce the heavier or more tiresome in balanced models due to my blasted health and mobility issues, and even though my kids and grand kids are scattered and I seldom hear from most of them, I do occasionally get to enjoy time with those I do see (I have 16 grand kids at last count) and some like to use a detector to join in the fun. So I was thinking about adding one more 'loaner unit' (I have an extra Omega 8000 currently for that role) and I figured that maybe, just maybe one of these lower-priced Fisher model might do the trick.

dfmike
I agree with THGT on the membrane switches.
Usually I would agree with you and THGH as membrane switches haven't always been the most reliable component with some models I have had early on. However, even though I prefer toggle switches and knobs for a long, long time, I am comfortable with the membrane switches on models I've used this past five or six years. So far, I am comfortable with those on my F44, and I have been using them a lot to check settings or change settings to end up with what I feel will work better for me.

dfmike
To me the best feature and the #1 reason why I bought it was that at its price point, nothing offered so many features at the time. When I tested it, it was slightly deeper than my F5 or Omega 8000 with similar settings and identical coil. The detector felt almost weightless with the stock coil and I really appreciated that as well (much like the MX7 I have now in that regard).
I already had an extra 7" Concentric coil which is what I mounted to the F44, and it has been checking out in the evaluations I'm doing just fine. I have compared it with my Omega 8000 V6 just to see how the depth-of-detection might compare using a sample of six different coins, and also compared the pre-set Tones for the fixed modes and those I chose for the Custom mode. Detection depth is about comparable so far using similar audio Tones for the sample targets.

dfmike
My number one pet peeve and the reason why I sold it was that it falsed like crazy even with moderate sensitivity selected. I could not tell if a target was good or bad by sound only. I had to rely on the screen all the time because I couldn't make sense of all the sounds and clipped sounds it made. I had an early model and that might have been the issue. It might have been addressed since then. It wasn't coil related. If I was to buy one today, I would buy a new one just to make sure it has the latest firmware and I could easily return it. Just my 2 cents.
I actually have two Omega 8K's and have a matching 7" Concentric on one, V6, like I mounted to the F44. The Omega 8K V4 I mounted the 5" DD to in order to have a quick-grab model ready for hunting dense tr5ash or close to metal structures and fences. ALL THREE work smoothly, and the two Omega's at a full '99' Sensitivity get a bit jumpy and sputtery and need the Sensitivity reduced to gain stability, whereas the F44, with a maximum Sensitivity of '20' is very stable and in the same sites as the Omega's I haven't had to reduce the Sensitivity of the F44. It's working very well in that regard.

dfmike
I did find a lot of good stuff with it when I had it but it was never a joy to use. It tested my patience until I had no more. Although it shares the same frequency as the Omega 8000 and F5 (well almost) I felt there was a night and day difference in the way these detectors behave sound wise.
My new-to-me F44 works calmly so far at the few places around town and here at home I was able to use it. No annoyance whatsoever.

There is a difference in 'sound' however, and that's maybe due to the F44's assigned Tone per Discriminate Notch segment; possibly due to:

The 2-1½V AA batteries compared with a 9V battery in the Omega and the F-44 just doesn't have the audio Ooomph to be louder?

The different programmed 'loudness' or 'volume' per tone separate from the adjusted Sensitivity? The F44's '4' High-Tone sounds much louder or cleaner and crisper to me, but that could simply be due to my hearing impairment and issues with certain frequencies, just not sure.

Whatever the reason, comparing the Omega and F4r side-by-side on the same targets with the same coils in use at maximum Sensitivity, the Omega just sounds much louder to me.

dfmike
If I knew without the shadow of a doubt that the falsing issues that I had were completely resolved, I'd buy another one just to have a good feature rich detector as a backup I could use without a cover when the weather does not cooperate.
Well, the good news and the bad news. The GOOD news is that my F44 isn't noisy and annoying and it locks on targets quite well if they are not too close to some masking junk.

More GOOD news it that while the audio loudness or perceived depth of detection and general in-the-field behavior is a little different than my Omega's, it's different in a good way because it has the three preset modes plus my Custom mode which provide very quick switching, if we want, to evaluate a located target, but mainly the overall performance is very impressive and, in a couple of ways, the F44 performs just a little bit better than the Omega and a few other models in my Outfit.

Now for the BAD news. My intention was to find a simple but functional detector that I would want on-hand as a loaner unit, but if it didn't satisfy me I could sell or trade it and someone, like you, would have a chance to check out a decent working F44. More BAD news. I have found the F44 to be such a GOOD detector for me and my wants and needs that I made a spot for in in my Regular-Use Detector Team and probably won't loan it out unless I think someone will pamper it like I do. That also means the more BAD news is this F44 is NOT for sale or trade. It is a keeper.:thumbup:

Monte

503-481-8147
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.

Posted by: Bucksport
Date: December 03, 2018 05:23PM
Sounds like it is a machine worth looking at. I have long been thinking about one, but haven’t seen many reports about it. I might have to put it on my list. Thanks for the evaluation Monte.

2@ Whites Coinmaster Classic III (one with mods)
White's Classic II
White's Classic III SL (with mods)
White's Classic ID
White's IDX Pro
White's Treasure Master
Tesoro Mojave
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Land Ranger Pro
Eurotek
Eurotek Pro
2 X BH Tracker IV, one with 4" and other with 8" coil
Vibra probe 570 and 580

Date: December 03, 2018 06:40PM
I'm glad you enjoy it Monte. It seems like the behavior is very similar to your Omega which is a great thing plus it has added features that are useful. Mine was very different. With the Omega or the F5 I would know if a target was a good one just by the sound (full double beep) while swaying the coil and in more than one direction. The F44 would double beep on random patches of ground. I would of course swing the coil again at the same angle and the "target" would suddenly disappear or make a clipped sound and then complete silence. I would then change angle and it wouldn't peep. This went on forever making me lose a lot of time double and triple checking everything. It behaved somewhat like my MX7 does now but much worse. With the MX7 it seems to be dependent on ground mineral and trash content and the detector can run quite stable in some places. The F44 would do this all the time and I remember it being worse in coin and jewelry mode than in custom. I just couldn't make it run smoothly no matter what I did and I never used it at full gain.

Looking back, I should have sent it back to Fisher Labs and they could have taken a look at it. They've always treated me well.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Posted by: LW Steve
Date: December 03, 2018 10:40PM
In the early 1990's on land... I used a Compass XP-Pro - - The Compass X-200 Challenger - - Fisher CZ-5 - - Fisher CZ-6a
More recently I've used the Fisher CZ-70 Pro - - the Tesoro Cortes and the Tesoro Deleon.

In my opinion I will take a Fisher F44 ( and all its features and 7" coil ) over any of those detectors I just mentioned above.

There you guys go Monte and me... we have said our peace:)

Lake Washington Steve

'Thank You' for all the replies to my request.
Date: December 05, 2018 02:05PM
I own and use a variety of metal detector brands. None are 'perfect' but there are many that I prefer for different types of search applications. I always have two or three of my favorite Tesoro models on-hand. I was also well equipped with a selection of four favorites from White's in early 2010 as well as a Minelab Explorer II and a Teknetics T2. In March of 2010 I bought a Teknetics Omega 'Pro Package' and settled on using the 5" DD and elliptical Concentric coils. Later I switched to the round 8" Concentric & 5" DD and worked it afield, comparing it against all my other detectors.

I found that for serious Relic Hunting in very dense iron contaminated sites, I preferred my Teknetics T2 w/5" DD along with a 6½" Concentric coil on my White's MXT Pro, modified Classic ID and modified IDX Pro, plus my Tesoro's with a small 6" or 7" coil. The Omega 8000 (which was the Version 4 back then) proved to be a very decent working detector for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, but didn't made the grade when it came to really ugly ferrous debris locations. But that was OK because I had several models in my group to handle my Relic Hunting needs, and in a very short time the Omega 8K became my primary-use Coin Hunting Target ID / Tone ID detector, even over their own T2.

How was that possible? I've been dealing with health and mobility issues since '91, using a cane since March of '93, and I need to use detectors that are lighter weight and well balanced to reduce fatigue. The T2, as many folks know, is a comfortable detector, but the Omega 8000 felt much better. And what really surprised me was that if the T2 and Omega had their own 5" DD coils mounted, my Omega would give me a cleaner audio response on the deeper coins I encountered with less instability. Even more surprising was that I got a better, tighter numeric VDI lock-on with the Omega on deeper targets than I did using the T2. And that was with their 5" DD coils. I'm not a fan of the 11" BiAxial coil and got rid of it quickly, and found the Omega 8K w/8" Concentric was a much better combination that the T2 with it's standard 11" DD coil. At the time I lived in a large metropolitan area with a lot of Coin & Jewelry Hunting opportunities and the Omega became my go-to unit.

Since late '13 I moved to a smaller town well away from popular coin potential sites but was enjoying more devoted Relic Hunting which is what I have preferred for decades. In January of 2015 a new detector arrived and my evaluation of it didn't take much time at all. Other than my trusty Tesoro's, everything else I had in my detector outfit was for sale or trade within a week! All my White's Minelab's, Fisher F75 , Teknetics T2 and .... just everything. The last two models to go were my White's MX-5 and then, finally, my Omega 8000. The Omega continued to satisfy my wants and needs for working the typical coin-producing places in small towns to bigger cities.

dfmike
I'm glad you enjoy it Monte. It seems like the behavior is very similar to your Omega which is a great thing plus it has added features that are useful. Mine was very different. With the Omega or the F5 I would know if a target was a good one just by the sound (full double beep) while swaying the coil and in more than one direction. The F44 would double beep on random patches of ground. I would of course swing the coil again at the same angle and the "target" would suddenly disappear or make a clipped sound and then complete silence. I would then change angle and it wouldn't peep. This went on forever making me lose a lot of time double and triple checking everything. It behaved somewhat like my MX7 does now but much worse. With the MX7 it seems to be dependent on ground mineral and trash content and the detector can run quite stable in some places. The F44 would do this all the time and I remember it being worse in coin and jewelry mode than in custom. I just couldn't make it run smoothly no matter what I did and I never used it at full gain.

Looking back, I should have sent it back to Fisher Labs and they could have taken a look at it. They've always treated me well.
Yes, a trip to FTP might have made a big difference for you. To be honest, I haven't been overly thrilled with a lot of the products out of First Texas other than the Omega 8000. Back then I did also have a Tek. G2, the same as the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and I used to work it around some of the building tear-downs I kept a watch for and using the 5" DD coil it was handy, but not great. Depth was unimpressive and it didn't handle unmasking in the very dense iron nail littered sites like my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX.

The F-19, and I have owned three of them just hoping I could find one that might work well for me when hitting the ghost towns I frequent, also fell way short on performance compared with my very dependable Relic Hunting units, the Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic. Besides, in many sites I like to have more than just a 2-Tone audio. So I parted with the last one I had a few months back.

Since I got my first Omega in early 2010 I have had to deal with several unpleasant health and / or accident issues that have really cramped my style. It's very difficult for me to handle rough, uneven terrain or try to hobble along very far from my vehicle. The back is much worse, my left leg, knee and foot aren't like they used to be, and two injuries earlier this year really hampered my ability to get out and have fun. It also brought about the critical need for surgery on my neck in August to help prevent things getting much worse.

I am still a very dedicated Relic Hunting character, but as my time afield is getting shorter I figured I'd shift gears next year and start doing more casual Coin Hunting around here and in my travels. So a few months ago I analyzed all the models I had, or have, and considered units that I have a soft spot for that served me well in the past. I was fortunate enough to chance upon one, and then a 2nd, Omega 8000, and in doing so I ended up with the two Fisher 7" Concentric search coils plus all the rest for the Omega. This put some 'fun' back into my casual trips around here and local towns and got me wondering about models they have offered since the Omega 8000 was discontinued.

I haven't liked some of the units they have offered which I would buy, check out then unload. But the F44 just caught my interest so I thought I would give another 'budget-priced' detector a try. I'm glad it didn;'t work like yours. This specimen is really a simple yet versatile unit for a lot of places I like to visit.

Bucksport
Sounds like it is a machine worth looking at. I have long been thinking about one, but haven’t seen many reports about it. I might have to put it on my list. Thanks for the evaluation Monte.
Bucksport, it just might be a model that will satisfy you, or it might not. I own quite a few detectors and assign them certain duty to perform for me, and the Omega 8000 and F44 are going to handle my urban wants and needs just fine. If you get the opportunity, check one out.

TheHunterGT
I am glad to see it is finally getting some love across forums and videos. For the price it is very hard to beat if you want a weatherproof detector that goes 7-8-9 inches in good dirt.

Not many people know it has notch volume adjust like the Omega 8500. Probably one of my favorite features on any detector.

That big teardrop concentric it comes with....fantastic coil.
I don't like to hunt in the rain, and where I live we don't get much anyway. However, I have been hunting and caught in a summer cloudburst that can be a drencher, and I have been out in some parks and schools just enjoying life when, all of a sudden, the timed sprinkler system comes on. And in bigger grassy areas that tends to be bigger and powerful and very wet watering system they use. So I agree, the weather-proofing is a nice feature, and I like the Iron Audio Volume settings as well. Two of the preset Disc. models are 'functional' for where I might hunt, and it is nice to set up the Custom Disc. mode to satisfy what I want. :thumbup:

In my case the F44 came with the 11" BiAxial DD and not that goofy-looking tear-drop Concentric. Besides, I seldom use a standard to larger-size search coil because I am most often in trashier or brushier environments where smaller to mid-size coils work the best. But the F44 is a model I think many people ought to check out.

LW Steve
I have my custom program built to find small gold rings & silver coins.
Here is how I have it set up...

I have iron notched out (1-19) (bass tone)

(20-29) (medium tone) tiny gold rings / tin foil

(30-39) (medium tone) small gold rings / nickels / round tabs / beaver tail tabs

(40-49) (low tone) square tabs / Men's gold wedding bands

(50-59) (low tone) zincs come in at 50 to 54 the corroded ones come in the lowest

(60-69) (high tone) silver dimes / cu pennies come in at 63 to 66

(70-79) (high tone) silver quarters

(80-89) (high tone) silver halves / caches / large items

(90-99) (high tone) silver dollars / caches / large items
'Thank You' for your settings. I will never use the Coin mode, but do like the preset Jewelry and Artifact mode programs. My Custom settings are close to yours,but I Accept the Fe segment with a '0' VCO audio. I also have the '5' segment assigned the '4' High Tone because that's also where a lot of Indian Head and very early Wheat-back Cents register. I'll use the Custom mode in the older places I prefer to hunt where modern Zinc Cents aren't an issue.

LW Steve

In the early 1990's on land... I used a Compass XP-Pro - - The Compass X-200 Challenger - - Fisher CZ-5 - - Fisher CZ-6a
More recently I've used the Fisher CZ-70 Pro - - the Tesoro Cortes and the Tesoro Deleon.

In my opinion I will take a Fisher F44 ( and all its features and 7" coil ) over any of those detectors I just mentioned above.

There you guys go Monte and me... we have said our peace:)

Lake Washington Steve
I have owned all of the above except the Challenger X200 which, in my opinion, fell short of what the X-100 offered. I am with you 100% on this one, too, because all those models were heavier and/or awkward performers in many places. I like my Omega 8000 for Coin & Jewelry work and now the F44 has a sold, "it's not going anywhere" position in my Detector Outfit as well.

And that is especially true with a Fisher 7" Concentric coil mounted full-time on my F44 and also my 2nd Omega 8000. It is nice having two of those coils. :)

Monte

503-481-8147

Date: December 05, 2018 04:08PM
I'm going to give you guys a hunting tip. You can use Google maps right from your living room to find your future hunting spots.

In the link below are some parking strips that I have hunted in the past.
They are in a very old part of Seattle that dates back to the 1880's.
I have found Seated coins in these old strips including a 1901s Barber Dime.
There is still silver in these old parking strips. (coins on edge for example)
The people like me who have hunted these old areas in the past... (we did not get everything)
You have to go slow and investigate all signals. (have a root cutter digger with you)
The F44 will do a great job in areas like this because it is not bothered by telephone wires/cables and EMI electromagnetic interference.

L.W. Steve

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6286386,-122.2855001,3a,75y,114.17h,86.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssNfbkbV3u3C3Uuhi3kOH6A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Date: December 06, 2018 07:25PM
Thanks for the link Steve. It looks like a really nice place. The mature trees near those aging sidewalks tell a story. Here, as soon as they start making roads or new developments they cut everything down. Finding hints of human activities from the past is not as easy when they tear everything to bits including century old houses or pretty much everything that has something to do with the past.

I wish I would have taken up metal detecting a few decades ago with the machines of today. Don't we all ! :)

Date: December 06, 2018 10:15PM
dfmike
Thanks for the link Steve. It looks like a really nice place. The mature trees near those aging sidewalks tell a story. Here, as soon as they start making roads or new developments they cut everything down. Finding hints of human activities from the past is not as easy when they tear everything to bits including century old houses or pretty much everything that has something to do with the past.

I wish I would have taken up metal detecting a few decades ago with the machines of today. Don't we all ! :)

You are welcome Mike.

Other than house yards the old parking strips are the final frontier in the Seattle area.

I like to hunt those parking strips that were put in in the 1920's and are about two feet wide.
Dig everything and they are usually good for a merc or an old ring.
People lose a lot of rings in parking strips getting in and out of their cars.

I'm going to hit these tomorrow morning.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5979184,-122.2926235,3a,75y,196.07h,83.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-twBL_9DSkVm9hP0DjQdrw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

HH

Date: December 07, 2018 11:48AM
These strips here are 1920's.

They have lots of misc. targets in them. (very trashy)

These strips are fun to poke around in with the F44 and 7" coil.

The problem is the ground is frozen right now :(

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5951949,-122.2927086,3a,75y,240.53h,77.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snH_Fem_NyxgEmB2plPBUfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Posted by: TheHunterGT
Date: December 07, 2018 01:45PM
I think I need to correct myself where I said it has notch "volume" adjust. I believe it has notch "tone" adjust. I don't believe the volume can be set per notch...just the tone (low-mid-high-vco).

A similar feature...but not the exact same thing. My bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login