Findmall.com

Fisher "F" Series Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Gold Objects
Posted by: fjs440
Date: December 28, 2018 09:01PM
I have just spent an hour on a different forum. I was reading about people discussing looking for Gold items and how to do it. It went on and on about settings and everything else. Good Grief!!!

I keep hoping to find Gold, but it has not happened yet.

I discriminate out the low stuff and dig all the good SOLID SIGNALS, no matter what the display says. I have collected a lot of junk, but one of these days I will hit my first Gold item.

Like all treasure hunting, you have to be at right place at the right time and have the right equipment, which you also know how to use.

Hope you Fisher owners find some Gold!

Damn, I love this hobby!

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”and 8”
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones
Garrett Z-Lynk

Re: Gold Objects
Posted by: WV62
Date: December 29, 2018 08:48AM
If you keep the disc down just below nickels you will hit gold someday. I have found a few gold items but you got to take out a lot of trash.

Keep at it,

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: REVIER
Date: December 29, 2018 01:27PM
fjs440
I have just spent an hour on a different forum. I was reading about people discussing looking for Gold items and how to do it. It went on and on about settings and everything else. Good Grief!!!

I keep hoping to find Gold, but it has not happened yet.

I discriminate out the low stuff and dig all the good SOLID SIGNALS, no matter what the display says. I have collected a lot of junk, but one of these days I will hit my first Gold item.

Like all treasure hunting, you have to be at right place at the right time and have the right equipment, which you also know how to use.

Hope you Fisher owners find some Gold!

Damn, I love this hobby!

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”and 8”
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones
Garrett Z-Lynk

How low is the stuff that you are discing out?

Many say if you disc out around nickel or just below like WV62 just suggested you are good to go.
Sorry WV, who is one of the three brothers I really like on this forum, but this is incorrect.
Many good targets do come in around nickel for sure, that is why so many think this way, and the same can be said about the tab area for bigger rings, but in reality a whole bunch will actually come in way lower like in foil...even low foil.
Small rings and even large white gold rings can easily come in at the exact same place as all kinds of low trashy things.
The lowest I have found gold rings at are the exact same numbers that condiment packages and those stupid, round drink freshness seals come in.
Others have found them even lower into iron depending on conditions.
If we are talking about gold chains those can definitely come in at iron on up...even big ones because links in a chain tend to confuse most detectors.

I do the same as you, pretty much dig all the solid signals I come across but I do it at all areas and numbers no matter what and I usually use very little if no disc.
I have just been luckier than you so far so just keep going but take nothing for granted.
Every piece of gold I have ever dug was a complete surprise except one, and 98% were all trash numbers.
Solid, non jumping repetitive trash numbers but still supposed to be junk every time.

To give you an idea the picture below is a lot of my gold dug in mostly public parks and the numbers all came from either an F2 or an F70.
Even when I use disc I rarely go higher than 20-21.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
Currently using an F70 and a Mojave....and a Nox.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: December 29, 2018 04:41PM
I'm with REVIER. I'm not sure what you mean by discriminating the low stuff but most of the gold I have found so far has been in the foil range. It's a hassle because you have to dig all good signals above iron or maybe slightly higher. It takes a lot of patience but finding your first gold will get you hooked for life.

Of course looking for gold in the right places will up your chances. People don't just drop gold jewelry at random. People engaged in swimming activities, sports and general recreation will eventually lose stuff.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Posted by: jim tn
Date: December 29, 2018 05:41PM
Keep at it, but much, if any, disc. will end up knocking out a high percentage of gold items. Quite a bit of gold falls into the foil range, which, means a lot of digging. Although I run 0 disc., sweet, softer sounding tone gets me more gold then digging pouches of trash each outing. Regardless of the reading, if there is no broken raspy sounds I will dig it if I'm looking for gold. Quite a few gold bands of medium to heavy weight fall in and around the nickel range. Larger class rings often come along in the zinc to copper cent range. First and foremost, though, location, location, location. HH jim tn

Posted by: LW Steve
Date: December 29, 2018 08:38PM
1. Soccer Fields
2. Baseball Fields
3. Parks that always have adult activities of some type ( like frisbee throwing )

The taller the grass the better.

High Schools with lots of grassy areas where the kids eat their lunches and get on and off the bus I'm finding
lots of clad but no rings.

Do High School girls wear much gold these days? They must not.

Date: December 30, 2018 05:52AM
I should have written down where I set my discrimination. I keep my setting at 15, to reduce the iron.

Date: December 30, 2018 06:46AM
fjs440
I should have written down where I set my discrimination. I keep my setting at 15, to reduce the iron.

That is a good spot, now ya just gotta get lucky and get your coil over gold.
LW Steve gave some good suggestions for a little more high percentage areas to look, personally I have found about a dozen of mine around the perimeter of basketball courts.
Also a few around picnic pavilions, most of the rest all over parks.
Where people walked, sat or played.
A ton were found in areas of heavy trash which is why I love to use snipers so much.
Soccer fields maybe, the perimeter of soccer fields where parents and spectators stand or sit even better.
If you have a beach or an area with water near the edge are probably some of the best places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 06:48AM by REVIER.

Posted by: LW Steve
Date: December 30, 2018 07:58AM
REVIER

That is a good spot, now ya just gotta get lucky and get your coil over gold.
LW Steve gave some good suggestions for a little more high percentage areas to look, personally I have found about a dozen of mine around the perimeter of basketball courts.
Also a few around picnic pavilions, most of the rest all over parks.
Where people walked, sat or played.
A ton were found in areas of heavy trash which is why I love to use snipers so much.
Soccer fields maybe, the perimeter of soccer fields where parents and spectators stand or sit even better.
If you have a beach or an area with water near the edge are probably some of the best places.

One of the biggest silver rings that I ever found was on the grassy edge of a basketball court as the guy took off his ring before he played and then went home without it. :)

It is the reptile ring in front with the 4 legs. :laugh:

LW Steve

Posted by: kevinnc
Date: December 30, 2018 08:20AM
Small real foil will usually break up and ID as iron if you sweep real fast across them. Won't work for big foil wads, but I find it works and have dug small flat buttons and relics that way. No gold in a long time, because I hunt real old sites. Some old nickles hit foil, but will still hit hard with a real fast sweep and usually ID Higher.

Date: December 30, 2018 08:26AM
LW Steve

One of the biggest silver rings that I ever found was on the grassy edge of a basketball court as the guy took off his ring before he played and then went home without it. :)

It is the reptile ring in front with the 4 legs. :laugh:

LW Steve

Along with all the gold I also have found more than my share of silver around basketball courts.
I call those sites beach hunting on land because of the great possibility of finding jewelry.
The two biggest, baddest, heaviest silver rings I have ever found were sitting there buried right next to courts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 08:28AM by REVIER.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: December 30, 2018 10:43AM
Great finds !!! Inspiring.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Date: December 30, 2018 01:24PM
Basketball courts are my favorite spots. I always find something good there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login