Findmall.com

Whatzit Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
2001 D Quarter Partially Gold Plated?
Posted by: Codyg
Date: April 13, 2018 04:47PM
I am trying to find the value of this coin. When I google it all I find is the fully gold plated version and a hologram version which this does not appear to be. I am wondering if someone removed part of the gold plating but it seems unlikely since the boarders fit the ship and ocean. I should also note that about 80% of the edge of the coin is gold plated too. Thanks for your help,
Cody

Re: 2001 D Quarter Partially Gold Plated?
Posted by: Willee
Date: April 13, 2018 05:42PM
Some hobbyist may have been fooling around with his gold plating equipment.
Where did you get the coin?

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: April 13, 2018 06:17PM
The value of your quarter is twenty five cents.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: Elton
Date: April 13, 2018 06:54PM
I think some company Gold plated some of the what was then new design minted quarters ..didn't they ??

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Posted by: Codyg
Date: April 13, 2018 07:59PM
.My mom said she noticed it in her everyday change. I saw it and was curious, thought it might be a mint mistake since they make the full gold plated ones and also holograms. Oh well. Actually its prolly a 3rd party gold plating them. Who knows, ill hang onto it just incase

https://www.collectorsalliance.com/2001_RI_24_Karat_Gold_Quarter_D_p/9869.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2018 08:01PM by Codyg.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: April 15, 2018 11:27AM
Elton
I think some company Gold plated some of the what was then new design minted quarters ..didn't they ??

Yep, sure is........ just about any coin is available as gold plated. Unfortunately enough people pay the outrageous prices for them to keep the plating company in business. The plating doesn't change the value of the coin though.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: Elton
Date: April 15, 2018 01:30PM
Larry (IL)

Yep, sure is........ just about any coin is available as gold plated. Unfortunately enough people pay the outrageous prices for them to keep the plating company in business. The plating doesn't change the value of the coin though.

Yep..still worth 25 cents !! Not taking away it's a pricey plated coin not usually found for your collection.. Nice recovery...

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Posted by: TX47
Date: April 15, 2018 02:20PM
Up close it looks like a pen-plating job.

EDIT: I once copper plated a clad quarter . With a bucket and a power supply, not a pen-plater.

Man of a thousand hobbies...well OK maybe only 900-ish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 02:24PM by TX47.

Posted by: rferrari
Date: April 27, 2018 05:27AM
Try to carry a small magnet with you so you can test tokens and relics for iron. Peace Roy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login