Findmall.com

Whatzit Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
iron relic found what is it ?
Posted by: dfmike
Date: June 25, 2018 06:44PM
I found this big piece of cast iron (about 5" X 3") and 1/4 inch thick at a century old school site. It leads me to believe that it was farming ground before becoming a school yard. I have no idea what it is. There's plenty of rust on it but I'm not so sure it's that old since the holes seem machined. There is also a hole on the top part going from front to back. Any ideas ?

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars Universal shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer, Killer B's camo and Jolly Rogers headphones plus an excessive amount of assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 06:45PM by dfmike.

Re: iron relic found what is it ?
Posted by: coin-star
Date: June 26, 2018 07:51AM
The way the holes are on the bottom it looks like it would have slid into something and the holes allowed it to moved in or out in increments and secured with a peg or cotter pin.

Almost like it would help keep something in tension. Could be part of a tractor or farm implement for sure.

CS

Posted by: glenn3-88
Date: July 01, 2018 12:54PM
Looks to me like part of the adjustable mechanism of possibly a mule drawn drag harrow. Would have had a long handle attached at the top
and the holes would have been part of the angle the drag harrow teeth would have been held at your desired angle to reach the leveling of
the dirt you required.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: July 02, 2018 07:16PM
Thanks guys. Early 1900's perhaps ??? I was thinking more recent as the holes look machined. Anyway, for the piece of cast iron to break like that at the left end, it must have had quite a bit of tension there. The piece is unusually thick and heavy. It took me a while to get it out of dry clay.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars Universal shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer, Killer B's camo and Jolly Rogers headphones plus an excessive amount of assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Posted by: fowlercharles
Date: July 16, 2018 11:50PM
I'm going to suggest that it was a piece of an air vent that would have slid back and forth on a stove or whatever to adjust the airflow.

Posted by: brianc577
Date: July 18, 2018 02:42AM
Peddle for a tractor?

Posted by: firemanphob
Date: July 18, 2018 09:34AM
looks like part of the clevis from a horse drawn plow to regulate the depth of the plow.

Posted by: flinthunter
Date: July 18, 2018 09:30PM
I agree with firemanphob. It is a clevis from some type of horse drawn equipment.

Posted by: Piedmontartifacts
Date: July 18, 2018 09:51PM
It probably is from a farm implement of some kind but for some reason it reminds me of an old weight scale my grandfather had. Nice rescue!

One target at a time!!!
Fisher F75LTD—F75+—GB2
Keene 3” Ultra Dredge—A52

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login