Findmall.com

Whatzit Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Approximate time period of shoe buckle ?
Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: July 08, 2018 07:12AM
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Re: Approximate time period of shoe buckle ?
Posted by: HuntinDog
Date: July 08, 2018 09:09AM
That's an awesome buckle!
Congrats on a great find.

No. Cal. Gold Country
XP DEUS / 9"-11"-11X13" coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
6000 Di Pro SL
MXT Pro / 300, 10D2, 950, 6X9 Eclipse, 4X6 Shooter
DX-1 and Sun Ray Pro Golds

Keep your head down, your swing smooth and Coil to the soil

Posted by: TnShooter
Date: July 08, 2018 06:13PM
Looks similar to the one found below.
It states 1750's. It seems to be pretty common
Colonial style.

https://www.augusta-auction.com/component/auctions/?view=lot&id=11159&auction_file_id=23

Date: July 08, 2018 07:55PM
Very interesting TnShooter. I find it hard to believe that mine is that old based on where this was found. IF it is that old, then the place I found it in has a much deeper history then anyone realizes.

Fear is paralyzing and courage is liberating. No matter what is put in front of you, there is always a way to make it work.

Dreams are just dreams, goals are dreams with deadlines. The desire to succeed comes from within. Stay focused on your goals, and if people say that you can’t do something, get them out of your life and move on.

Posted by: woody
Date: July 09, 2018 10:52AM
Colonial. Pretty sure.

Posted by: brianc577
Date: July 09, 2018 03:32PM
Very nice find!

Posted by: TnShooter
Date: July 09, 2018 04:57PM
It doesn't necessarily mean it is colonial.
As anyone could copy a design. I'm no expert by
any mean. But it's a good reason and least explore the area more.
Maybe you'll find other stuff to help narrow down a time line.

Date: July 09, 2018 08:40PM
Most of the items I find are from the late 1800's - 1940's (mainly coins and silverware)

Posted by: flinthunter
Date: July 10, 2018 07:34AM
Nice old buckle. Now go back and find the other one. Strange finds do pop up when you are metal detecting. I found a late 1600's to early 1700's shoe buckle in the remnants of a trash dump while field hunting in Central Illinois. The trash dump dated from around 1835 until 1865. I just figure someone still had grandpa's old shoes stored in a trunk and finally decided to throw them out. I guess I'll never know for sure, but it sounds like a good reason to me for the buckle being there.

Date: July 10, 2018 07:09PM
This was deep in the woods at the top of a small mountain. Just over the steep edge is where I located it. Maybe they fell down the steep cliff? :stretcher:

flinthunter
Nice old buckle. Now go back and find the other one. Strange finds do pop up when you are metal detecting. I found a late 1600's to early 1700's shoe buckle in the remnants of a trash dump while field hunting in Central Illinois. The trash dump dated from around 1835 until 1865. I just figure someone still had grandpa's old shoes stored in a trunk and finally decided to throw them out. I guess I'll never know for sure, but it sounds like a good reason to me for the buckle being there.

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: July 10, 2018 07:38PM
Very cool find ELP.. i only found a few thru the years and every where ive one or pieces of them ive also found large cents so gotta be anywhere from 1850 on back but real question is ,when did people stop using them?

Date: July 10, 2018 07:54PM
Thank you. That really is the question BHPA. You now have me thinking about large cents lol I am gonna have to go back and give it a much better "scrubbing" I can picture someone back in the day sitting at the top of this little mountain looking down for deer or other animals to hunt. A perfect vantage point.

bootyhoundpa
Very cool find ELP.. i only found a few thru the years and every where ive one or pieces of them ive also found large cents so gotta be anywhere from 1850 on back but real question is ,when did people stop using them?[/[/b]quote]

Posted by: rferrari
Date: July 20, 2018 06:56AM
Sometimes old ground is kind to metal where no cultivation occurred. No added chemicals, no tilling. I feel it might be colonial and there are plenty of known pieces to compare to. I would keep working that area especially after a rain. No pockets means all sorts of stuff hit the ground. Peace Roy

Posted by: Piedmontartifacts
Date: July 20, 2018 10:30AM
Congrats, nice rescue. PA.

Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75LTD—F75+—GB2—f19
Keene 3” Ultra Dredge—A52

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login