Findmall.com

Whites XLT Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
XLT screen problem
Posted by: shafer44
Date: December 31, 2014 11:38PM
Turned my XLT on the other day and I could not even make out the menu enough to choose a program. I muddled thru the menu up and down until I thought I had the right custom program and by luck it was right. However, the horizontal lines were so bad that you could not see what VDI was showing for the target and the icons were also not good enough to tell what was what. I was letting my daughter use it as her first time metal detecting. Pinpointing was also only usable for the sound portion ramping up when you get over the target, the depth and bar were not showing very well. She used it for a while and I would go see when she found or located something and I would get a VDI reading and pinpoint it for her with my V3i. Then about 30 minutes or so later, the screen got a little better, she could see most of the VDI and enough of the icons to see if it was telling her it was a penny, foil , ring, etc. I tried dumping the battery with the machine on to reset it, changed programs, but the white lines still show. I have included 2 pictures of the screen with the white lines....bad picture, taken at night in my house and without flash you see nothing, with flash, it blares out part of the screen, but the pics should be kind of ok to show what I am talking about. This XLT is old, but when I got it, I did not know anyone to ask questions and I would bet it does not have 10 hours total on the machine. It never showed these lines before the other day. Has anyone seen this before? Is the lcd going out? Is it something in the board? Is this something I can fix or will it have to be sent to the factory? What will it cost to fix this?

Re: XLT screen problem
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: January 01, 2015 01:54AM
Howdy shafer44--

That happened to my old XLT but that was nearly 20 years ago and I can't remember exactly what caused it or what the solution was. I'm sure that if Larry or Rob(Illinois) sees this post that you will get a helpful answer. At least you have a V3i to fall back on :detecting: Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: January 01, 2015 07:15AM
If you are the least bit handy, I think you can handle the repair yourself. You might want to check to see if the display ribbon connector is making good contact. If I remember right, I think the contacts on the ribbon are silver which will oxidize over time. If that does not fix the problem than a new display can be purchased from White's, not very expensive and easy to replace.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: shafer44
Date: January 01, 2015 02:26PM
well, for 2 days, I had the lines shown (poorly shown, I know) on the XLT. Today early, I turned it on and still had the lines, but I could make out things good enough to see the menus, VDI, icons, etc. I droppped the battery out, changed batteries, tapped on the back of the display and really nothing changed. A couple hours later after talking to one of my friends with a DFX, I was going to take the display apart, but decided to turn it on one more time to check it again. Well, when I turned it on.....everything was back to normal. I have no idea why it had the lines, but now they are gone. I have turned it on several more times since then and it still does not have the lines. I repair iphones as another hobby and if you do not have the lcd cable completely plugged in, it too will give you, not horizontal, but vertical lines. Then you have to turn the phone off, unplug the cable, then plug it back in and make sure it has snapped it at both ends and the lines will not be there. This makes me thing that there could be a connection on the back of the display that may no be contacting correctly, or maybe a ribbon cable if the XLT has one. I will probably be calling White's tomorrow or Monday to talk to a technician to see what they think, but right now, I am using that strategy that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Thanks for the inputs. Also, if anyone does have a thought....I will always read or listen to them.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: January 01, 2015 04:06PM
Todd at whites told me last week that intermittent lines are a sign that the display is dying. When you can't stand it anymore send it in and I'll fix it for about 100 bucks.

Rick Kempf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login