Findmall.com

Whites XLT Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Introduced about 24 years ago, the XLT seems to be old and dead. But not in my books!!:thumbup:
Posted by: Monte
Date: June 10, 2018 01:36PM
Since early 1994 I have owned many XLT's and for only brief periods was I without one. In January of this year I got a hold of an excellent condition XLT, my 30th, and it has been serving me well. Actually I should say it IS serving me well.

I have not found a lot of silver coins yet this year, my meter account is only at 7, but half of those were found using the XLT.

I posted below sometime back my 3 custom programs which I immediately loaded into my XLT when I got it in January. As usual my Bushwhack program is what I use most often. So far this year that's all I've used with the XLT.

I keep the stock 950 on a spare lower rod in my accessory coil tote, and I also have an 8 inch proscan concentric coil on a spare lower rod in the coil tote that I can use on either my XLT where my modified Classic ID.

Both those detectors have a small coil matter to them full-time with the aftermarket ferret concentric coil on my modified classic ID, and the six and a half inch concentric, the Blue Max 600, staying mounted on my XLT. 90% of the time I'm hunting moderate to very trashy sites, usually with dense iron trash contamination, so the smaller search coils serve me well.

Like everyone else there are times when we stray away from certain models because we have found a competitor's unit that seems to perform well for us and has features or functions that we happened like. I know that has happened to me quite often in my 53 plus years of metal detecting, but I still keep fresh in my mind the performance and strengths and weaknesses of former models I have had.

I have my Tesoro models that I like and I have my models from Nokia and Makro that I like, and I have even have two of the new White's MX 7 models in my detector outfit. And in January as I mentioned I acquired a choice XLT, and last month a choice Classic ID, and these two old favorites of mine travel with me whenever I head out along with 2 models I pick out of all the others I have.

I know there has not been a lot of activity on this XLT forum, and logically it's because it's an older model and perhaps folks who used to use it have aged in her no longer enjoying the hobby, or those who had an XLT have just moved on to something new and different.

But I am here to say that a good working XLT, with a good program and using a proper coil for the site environment, still qualifies as a very good to excellent detector for a lot of applications. Mainly coin hunting, but when set up right and use properly with a small coil and a slower to moderate sweep speed, it can still do pretty decent in some ghost town applications. Matter of fact, I've been using my XLT at 3 ghost towns, 1 Japanese internment camp, and to building tear down sights with very favorable results.

I hope some others who currently have or plan to acquire one of these older, discontinued, but well-designed detectors will start using them and pop in on the forum with questions and comments.

Yes the XLT is older, long out of production, but is still a very decent detector to have in a good working detector battery.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

My recent thoughts as well, along with some recent success
Posted by: Va Dave
Date: June 11, 2018 10:19PM
Swing'n XLT over 20 years myself, its White's best. Last few times out with the XLT in Spring, these were recovered from deep down to the clay layer on a heavily hunted sites. XLT ain't just some old coin machine either.

Colonial & CW sites - White's XLT, GPX 5000, AT Gold freshwater relics

Va_Dave's comment: "XLT ain't just some old coin machine either" is quite correct.
Posted by: Monte
Date: June 13, 2018 07:12PM
The XLT was designed with several factory programs, and like all detectors out there, they are not 'perfect' for every application. However, if tailored to the environments we usually hunt, and those custom programs complemented by a workable search coil choice and the proper search method by the operator, the XLT can be a very flexible and versatile detector.

As I've mentioned before, I got my 1st XLT in '94, and over the following twenty-four years I have sold or traded them off ... for very brief periods ... in order to evaluate other makes and models, then quickly reacquired an XLT to have in my detector battery. I came across an excellent condition XLT this January and added it to my arsenal, my 30th and final XLT. It's not going anywhere as long as I am still able to enjoy this great sport.

I do have other units that I favor for really nasty, dense iron infested sites, such as my Nokta FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Makro Racer 2 and White's MX-7, plus my non-display Tesoro Vaquero and Bandido II I added last month. And I also acquired another long-time favorite I never should have parted with several years ago, and that's a modified White's Classic ID that I also added to my detector 'Team' last month.

This has been a tough year for me to get out due to health limitations, so my silver coin count is struggling this year, but of the 7 silver dimes, it was 1 with a Multi-Kruzer, 1 with the MX-7, 1 with the Racer 2, and 4 found with the XLT. Of those 4, they came from a double lot of house demolition, a WW-II Japanese Internment Camp site, and 2 from a ghost town with a moderate amount of iron debris.

We all like to see some progress from time-to-time in this industry, and we sometimes really need it with some of the offerings that have come out from every detector maker. So manufacturers seem to keep on working up things they think might be new and creative, and sometimes they get it right. The new MX-7 is an excellent example, in my opinion. But I wish they could just get to the point where they offered a decent detector model that does what is needed, and maybe have two or three models in their product line that all work well for different people and applications ...then just leave things alone!

If I had the opportunity to own a company and just make good stuff and not get off on some wild tangent, I would still make the XLT, still offer the Classic ID ... and probably an IDX Pro ... but incorporate the Threshold and GB modifications, and then fit the new MX-7 in the line-up for those who want something new and different. Those three models, now all in my personal Regular-Use Detector Team, can handle any type of site I care to hunt. An excellent set-up of an older and proven XLT, a kind-of-older Classic ID that they sadly didn't promote like they should have, and the new and very functional MX-7.

Kind of like putting on a hamburger and hotdog barbecue and offering Ketchup, Mustard and Sweet Pickle Relish. Three things to satisfy anyone, and they've been around for along, long time. Take your pick or make use of all three to your liking ... just like having and using an XLT, Classic ID and MX-7

If I wanted to really trim my detector arsenal down to only White's products, I already have everything I could hope for with just these three models. All outfitted with the best coils I like for the different sites I enjoy hunting. Glad to hear the XLT is still working well for you, Va Dave, and I hope it continues to do so for many years to come.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: Introduced about 24 years ago, the XLT seems to be old and dead. But not in my books!!:thumbup:
Posted by: donl98632
Date: August 12, 2018 11:14AM
Monte, nice to see that you have picked up your 30th XLT. I bought a new XLT when they first hit the market and had it for 15 years. Found a lot of coins and jewelry with it but thought I was using a outdated detector so bought and sold several of the newest units but never felt as in tune with them as I did with the XLT. A few years ago I picked up a as new XLT E-series and use it as my main detector. I also have the 5.3 coil, a 8" coil and the 950 coil. Also have a couple older Whites that I still use sometimes, a Eagle II SL 90 and a 6000di series 3.

Re: Introduced about 24 years ago, the LT seems to be old and dead. But not in my books!!:thumbup:
Posted by: Bruce Mansfield
Date: October 27, 2018 08:11AM
I'm New to the hobby I bought 3 medal detectors well four to be exact ..I have xlt dfx bounty hunter sharp shooter ll mxt all pro I sold the mxt and that's how I purchased the xlt dfx not sure if I made a mistake or not but I was told dfx and xlt were great machines .

I have only found 2 silver dimes and bunch of reg coins but I found the 2 dimes on the factory set programs so I been looking for a good solid program for either of the whites I mostly hunt parks dues to no one around here seems to want to let ppl on there property to hunt ..

would anyone be willing to share a good program I can try at the parks ? I hunt I do find a lot of pull tabs and bottle caps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login