Findmall.com

Feedback Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Another hype ???
Posted by: opa81
Date: March 31, 2018 03:53AM
My name is Andre and I live in The Netherlands. I have over 40 years of metaldetecting experience with several different brands of metaldetectors. After having watched about 50 videos about the new Equinox 800 I’m not really impressed. Especially about the jumping VDI numbers. Giving a totally different number in and out of the ground. I have a Minelab Sovereign myself, but there the VDI numbers do not jump as much as the Equinox seem to do.
What I think the biggest problem with these modern detectors is that they are way to much possible settings. In the (good ) old days we used detectors that you turned on set your disc and started detecting. Nowadays you have to set your frequentie, set your sweep speed, do a software upgrade, set your iron reject, set your recovery speed, choose a search mode, etc etc. I have used detectors like this myself and the problem is when you haven’t had a signal for about 10 minutes you start to doubt if your settings are right and you start making changes like for example your frequentie. That is exactly what I see in the Equinox video’s guys pushing buttons all the time, making changes every 5 minutes.

To me it looks another big hype. A great marketing campaign. Would not be surprised to see a lot of these Equinox detectors on sale the next coming months.

Minelab Souvereign GT / 15 inch WOT Coil.
Minelab Excalibur 2 / 10 inch Coil.
Garrett 400I
Garrett GTA 1000
Laser B1
C-Scope CS4PI

Youtube Channel:

http://www.diggers.world

Re: Another hype ???
Posted by: lespaul
Date: March 31, 2018 04:20AM
I too have over 40 years detecting in the USA. Throughout those years Ive used countless brands and models of some great detectors. I currently own a CTX 3030 and I have been using the Equinox 800 for about a month. I am making finds with the Equinox that Ive never dug before.
I guarantee that this machine is not all hype, but if people don't like it, that's fine too. Ill just keep digging those great signals.

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: March 31, 2018 04:23AM
Very good point(s) Andre.---and your last sentence could well come to be!

Posted by: #1Leatherneck
Date: March 31, 2018 05:07AM
The evolving technology as evidenced being reported in such a very short time dispels any doubt that the Equinox 800 certainly is not hype!

Posted by: john4840
Date: March 31, 2018 07:24AM
opa81
My name is Andre and I live in The Netherlands. I have over 40 years of metaldetecting experience with several different brands of metaldetectors. After having watched about 50 videos about the new Equinox 800 I’m not really impressed. Especially about the jumping VDI numbers. Giving a totally different number in and out of the ground. I have a Minelab Sovereign myself, but there the VDI numbers do not jump as much as the Equinox seem to do.
What I think the biggest problem with these modern detectors is that they are way to much possible settings. In the (good ) old days we used detectors that you turned on set your disc and started detecting. Nowadays you have to set your frequentie, set your sweep speed, do a software upgrade, set your iron reject, set your recovery speed, choose a search mode, etc etc. I have used detectors like this myself and the problem is when you haven’t had a signal for about 10 minutes you start to doubt if your settings are right and you start making changes like for example your frequentie. That is exactly what I see in the Equinox video’s guys pushing buttons all the time, making changes every 5 minutes.

To me it looks another big hype. A great marketing campaign. Would not be surprised to see a lot of these Equinox detectors on sale the next coming months.

Not going to happen. I have own a Sovereign XS for 22 years and bought a Equinox 600. The Equinox is better in iron. I have been metal detecting for over 30 years and started with the whip detectors.

Equinox 600
Sovereign XS
Whites XLT

John

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: March 31, 2018 09:19AM
Andre, don't you know that a member of the unwashed is Not allowed to tug on the King's robe? Just keep being successful with your "old technology" and you will be forgiven--just this one time.LOL

Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: March 31, 2018 09:25AM
My Equinox isn’t going anywhere .....my old sites are A lot more lively ...instead of getting a little bleep ,,I’m now getting a hard hit on them deeep coins and can’t believe what I’m finding in some of my old spots....and my other $1549 detector wouldn’t come close to what I’m finding next to large iron....I’m excited...always can’t wait to get out again..instead of the old slow and thinking of a spot I haven’t been .....now instead of detecting old spots for 2 to 3 hours and finding 3 more pennies....you no what I mean....

Posted by: dbado1
Date: March 31, 2018 09:30AM
Pretty simple.....Don't buy one.

Dean

Posted by: Always Curious
Date: March 31, 2018 10:03AM
Sure, a lot of it is hype. The Equinox's TID numbers do jump around and depth is not very accurate either. The Nox is not going to render obsolute all other VLF detectors. And, yes, once the artificial shortage Minelab created to prolong the hype is gone, we're going to see some people selling their 800's at a discount--that always happens and it's already happening with the 600, which is available in better supply. But, as I quickly found when I got my Nox, in very trashy iron-infested sites, its faster speed and better separation allow it to unmask targets that machines like the Etrac (which I have) simply can't see. I does "reopen" some sites. Now, if I had the Kruzer, another new, fast machine, maybe I'd be saying the same thing about it--I don't know.

Posted by: Joedaddy276
Date: March 31, 2018 10:16AM
You can turn on and detect with any of them,the box comes with 8 presets on the 800 that are perfectly able to hang with other detectors and do things some just cant.being able to tune it to what we want is a huge plus to me but to each his own I reckon.the hype is truth in this one old grasshopper

Posted by: GroundHug
Date: March 31, 2018 11:25AM
dbado1

Dean

Yep

I find it amazing that people who dont even own a machine consider themselves experts on it by having watched videos of it being used
Thats like learning to drive by watching youtube road rage videos

Posted by: UncleTom
Date: March 31, 2018 12:14PM
I have been watching and see that a lot of the new EQUINOX owners are new to detecting and this is there first MINELAB experience in some cases due to the low price. Just my 2 cents

Posted by: DaveNV
Date: March 31, 2018 12:27PM
Being frustrated at not being able to quickly obtain the NOX, I ordered and received the Multi Kruzer. I found it to be a very competent machine and very technologically-advanced detector. BUT, once I received and started using the Equinox, I saw a great difference. I found the NOX a much user-friendly machine. For me, it is uncovering finds missed by many other detectors, including the ETrac. Does the NOX ”obsolete” all single frequency detectors?” I doubt it. Great finds are still going to be made by folks using older/other machines. Anyone who has been in this hobby for a while (I picked up my first metal detector in 1973), knows that the detector is just on part of finding buried “treasure.” I am more than satisfied with the Equinox. The build is outstanding and I absolutely love the new features. However, I would never disparage someone else’s decision to stick to an older or different brand.
HH,
Dave

Posted by: BarryL
Date: March 31, 2018 12:53PM
dbado1

Dean

yep just means one less person getting one before me

Posted by: #1Leatherneck
Date: March 31, 2018 12:55PM
Will the Equinox 800 "obsolete' all single frequency detectors? The answer is a resounding affirmative! No metal detector that I am aware of can possibly keep up with it! Impatiently, after purchasing an expensive MXT All Pro, I realized with the ability of scanning multiple freq./KHz, that the V3i had much more to offer, I purchased it! Now, I wish I had waited for the Equinox 800! For approximately half the price I could have purchased a detector that has much more capabilities, i.e., the availability of scanning the 40 KHz. The advantage of the 40 KHz compliments gold! There is no way to compare a single frequency/kHz metal detector to a metal detector with todays' technbology! How can you compare a Model T, to a 2018 metal detector with all four forward running gears, reverse, and overdrive. Notwithstanding, the Equinox 800 is Dummy Proof! There is undoubtedly a lot to like about the Equinox 800 after having watched about 50 videos on the Equinox 800! I have watched about that many and have determined that it is one awesome metal detector. As soon as availability allows, and any possible bugs are addressed, I will purchase one! Arguendo, I will convince my wife that it is for her! And, no I am not hen picked! lol
This is not to offend anybody! Just the facts Joe! Just the facts!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 01:01PM by #1Leatherneck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login