Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Xterra 505 IDs in dirt at depth
Posted by: Canewrap
Date: January 28, 2011 07:49AM
With my X-terra 70 I have the same problem with ID shift at depth, down into the iron range. But, that happens at the 8 to 9 inch depth in bad dirt with my machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 07:51AM by Canewrap.

Posted by: S505
Date: January 28, 2011 10:56PM
The 505's maximum sensitivity is 20 and it does not have tracking ground balance. I do not remember how I did the actual test outside but I usually run the sensitivity as high as I can without getting a lot of noise- I assume I did the same then. Ramping the sensitivity up and down did not have any effect on the odd IDs. I expect the IDs to fall apart at the limits of the detector but 4 inches is not a depth where I expect coin IDs to lose accuracy. Most of the coins with expected target IDs of 30+ dropped at close to a linear rate until they became undetectable around 7 inches. Nickles and gold targets dropped much quicker (steeper negative slope) until undetectable or at the lower range of my test (9 inches). I do not think this is normal and neither does Minelab. I would not be surprised if this was as simple as a poor connection / short on one of the pins where the coil plugs into the control box. I do want to stress that this unit was purchased already assembled by the dealer. The problem (if there really turns out to be one) may have originated there-not from the factory. I do wish it would have been sealed in the box when I got it.

S505

Posted by: dlively
Date: January 28, 2011 11:56PM
I agree it should not id that poorly at 4" and if I were you I would either take it back where you got it or send it to Minelab. I did not realize that the 505 sensitivity only went to 20 so 15 is approximately like 22-23 on my 70 so not as low as I thought. My 70 id's targets pretty good to around 8" then gets iffy depending on soil. In beach sand I have found quarters over 12". Anyway I would get it replaced/repaired. If you get it working right I am sure you will be happy.
Good Luck!

Dave

Date: January 29, 2011 05:15PM
After seeing how the Tracker IV did on depth, I am happy with the Xterra as is. If it comes back from Minelab with better IDs - thats a bonus.

S505

Posted by: Mtnmn
Date: January 30, 2011 07:30PM
I truly envy you guys to be getting the kind of depth you are with your XT's. In two yrs. I have yet to find a single coin over 6 1/2" in my ground, no matter what size coil is being used and that is out of a total of 1500 coins dug (only got out half as much last year). They I.D. and sound just fine, but there is never any real depth. Maybe I need to send my XT-70 in for a retuning or else it is my ground that is killing my depth...

Date: February 22, 2011 11:21PM
My detector control box and coil have both been replaced by Minelab. All under warranty at no charge. They indicated 15-20 business days and I received it at 19 business days. I am sure this included down time in Chicago due to the snow storm ~3 weeks ago. I am very happy with their service. I hope to be able to test the new coil/box by this weekend in the same test environment with the same targets . If the drops in ID are gone this experience will sure give credence to the statement that air tests are almost useless. It will also give an alternative valid reason why some users do not find deep coins.

S505

Date: February 23, 2011 02:09PM
I repeated the tests today and there is a difference but not as much as I thought there would be. I gained 1 inch depth on most targets but 2-3 inches on pennys. Ids still shift but 1 inch deeper than before. Pinpoint and detection sounds seem sharper, more defined. The old detector might have been within specs- maybe not. Maybe a test not in the ground is no test at all. The following might mean more than anything else: after testing in a bucket I decided to run over the yard where I have already been- a very trashy area. Hit 45 shifting to 48. Six inches down I found a 1907 Barber Half Dollar with nice scratches from my screwdriver. I think the new detector is a little better than the old.

S505

Posted by: RLOH
Date: February 23, 2011 02:54PM
S505, I am not trying to sound like a wise guy, but just maybe there are no deep coins under your coil. Unless your ground is highly mineralized, your stock 9 inch 7.5khz coil is capable of 7 to 8 inches of depth on a penny sized target. You have to remember anything deeper will not be difined signal. It might jump in tones and numbers. After you dig a couple of coins in the 8 inch deep range, you will be able to make a more concrete call on to dig or not. Also, with any detector with a ground balance adjustment, you MUST have a very accurate ground balance to get maximum depth out of any detector. Many people who detect are not very concise when they say how deep a coin is. Most of my deeper, older coins are in the 6 to 8 inch range. But, that is not cast in stone. If an area has been filled, you might find clad coins in the 8 inch range. You have a very capable detector and I am sure that once you get some quality time with it, you will be more than satisfied with it's performance.

Date: February 23, 2011 03:44PM
My last post might be misleading. My old 505 would only sound off on a wheat at 6 inches and then only very erratic. The replacement detector consistently hits it at 9 inches although very faint and a -9 ID (same ID as before at 6 inches). Before today I have only found one silver, a mercury next to a wheat at 2-3 inches deep. I am very happy with the 505, I'm just trying to define its limits and behavior with data.

S505

Posted by: SeniorSeeker
Date: March 30, 2011 04:46PM
I've been using Minelab's for a number of years now and I've not had any difficulties as you've described. With the Minelab X-terra 70 or the Safari, if the numbers indicated I had a quarter, it didn't make any difference what the depth was; two inches or ten inches the results were the same with meter read out. I've recently purchased a new X-terra 505 and haven't hunted with it yet but my priliminary air test showed it was right on, as far as I.D. and depth was concerned. Maybe you've got a bad coil? Surely you must know someone else who has another Minelab detector, who would let you use their coil for a few minutes to test your machine?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login