Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
ghost town finds
Posted by: mike slaw4all
Date: December 14, 2017 12:27AM
as you drive along these dirt roads in the middle of ag. fields that are measured in square miles to the horizon, all you will see is green winter wheat thats about 2 inches tall so far.
out here in 1894 there was a post office, stockyard, rail station, bank, two grain elevators, implement yard, blacksmith, doctor, school( grades 1 - 8 ), and ten plus other businesses. it was all located on a quarter section of land where a dirt road intersected a rail line. now there is no trace, not even the railroad ties are left much less the tracks. i only recently discovered its location but other guys have apparently been digging it for years, i saw multiple sloppily filled holes dug very recently because there were gaps in the rows of wheat sprouts right where the holes were. (not to mention foot prints!)
this was the first time ive ever been there, it was fun but disappointing to find out how many years late i am again behind the crowd. according to the interwebs, waterloo pottery quit making "china" in 1906 and started making floor tiles. so the pottery shards were made in england pre 1906. the headstamp chart shows the production was between 1896 to 1926. (thats sadly older than any coin iv found so far). will i drive back out there again? yep im planning the next trip :detecting:

much thanks again to homebre for the headstamp site, that was the EXACT site i was trying to find. HH mike

Re: ghost town finds
Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: January 10, 2018 02:55PM
interwebs - lol

Well the site still looks like it has the potential to hold an old coin or token if your getting those targets :thumbup:

Posted by: 7centsworth
Date: January 10, 2018 03:33PM
Seeet finds. Congratulations.

Christian Ky Boy
Minelab x-terra 70
Minelab pro find

Posted by: pplinker
Date: January 12, 2018 04:30PM
Love that old pottery. If only they hadn't broken it, but then I suppose it wouldn't be laying there for you to date the site. I like that little brass thing you found. Doubt if it is completely hunted out. Many others just go near the road or helter skelter in the middle of the area. Anything you find will be even more of a success knowing that others missed it.

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login