Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
repairing coil ears on a exterra coil
Posted by: jimmy clark
Date: December 30, 2017 01:12PM
im asking this on the exterra fourm because its a exterra coil .has anyone repaired the coil ears,and can it be done with glue instead of plastic welding?by cutting peaces from plastic that will match the ears.

Re: repairing coil ears on a exterra coil
Posted by: coherent
Date: December 30, 2017 02:54PM
I would use a two part epoxy made for plastics. Most hardware stores should carry it. They made a JB Weld epoxy for plastics that is good. If needed, you can drill small holes in the broken "ears" into the side where the break occurred and into the coil base at the same location and use small dowels (like pieces of toothpick or something non metallic or similar) to reinforce the assembly and add strength to the break points when epoxied back together. Steel pins made from pieces of coat hanger or wire may also work even better. Just make sure they don't interfere with the detectors operation. It's doubtful since there are normally bolts and nuts that hold the coil on at these locations anyway.
Modern epoxies made for plastic are extremely strong and much less effort and better results than trying to use plastic welding techniques.

If you no longer have the original broken "ears" you can cut/form some out of similar plastic using a dremel or similar tool and attach them using the same technique.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 02:59PM by coherent.

Posted by: txop
Date: January 01, 2018 12:58AM
Do a Google search on Plast-aid. I have used it to repair several plastic items. Watch their videos. You can use it as a glue or to form plastic parts.

This stuff dries so hard it a bit of work to sand down even with a dremel. My point is don't over do it.

All that said there are some types of plastic it will not bond but I haven't found any yet that it doesn't work on. If you read the instructions you will see how to do a quick test before you mix up some. You can even add paint to it for the color you need.

Not sure if a link is allowed here so if you can't find it let me know and I cam PM you with the link.

Posted by: jimmy clark
Date: January 01, 2018 03:20PM
how about marine epoxy.will it work even if it dont say its for plastics.the ears im going to repair or broken off about where the bolt holes or.im going to cut a peaces of plastic,that matches the ears shape.then glue them to the out side.then cut a peace for each side, for the inside.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login