Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Just picked up Xterra 705!
Posted by: Minehead
Date: March 13, 2019 12:57AM
Well I have officially joined the Minelab club! After hours of research I bought the 705 with the standard coil as well as 18.75 10" for $400 used. I caught some flac from family since I already have a prizm 4 and ace 150. I had an at pro a year ago but got rid of it. I've always wanted a Mine lab and figured the 705 gave me a versatile machine to go to the next level with. I hope I made the right decision and will be on here a lot researching every aspect.

Re: Just picked up Xterra 705!
Posted by: ngrelic
Date: March 13, 2019 02:31AM
Good choice.

Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: March 13, 2019 06:57AM
Welcome!
And congratulations on buying the best kept secret in metal detecting. :thumbup:

If you haven't already, download the FREE e-book "Understanding Your Xterra" by Randy Horton. Then read it....twice, and go back to it after each hunt until you're comfortable with the machine. It will cut the learning curve more than anything else that you can do.

Ingham County, Michigan

Posted by: TerryEastTexas
Date: March 13, 2019 03:18PM
Congrats on your purchase. I think you'll enjoy it. I do mine.

Posted by: Minehead
Date: March 13, 2019 11:07PM
Thanks so much and yes I've downloaded the guide and studying it. I took it out for an hour earlier and laid up for a few fat pennies...and another few $s in change. It feels super powerful... the only question I have: should I run the 10" dd instead of the standard concetric? Starting off with parks, football fields etc. And I'm in Bryan College Station central Texas...

Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: March 14, 2019 02:08PM
Start with the 9" MF CC, because it's the most honest.
When I say "honest", I'm referring to the ID accuracy and response. It has to do with target bin width assignments, which you can see illustrated in Randy's book in the section near the end "Q & A with Dr Laurence".

If trash density is really high, then you might be better off with the 10" DD, but the HF coil will have you digging more trash than a lower frequency would.

Ingham County, Michigan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login