Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
X-Terra Tips for the Coin-$hooter
Posted by: Digger
Date: February 14, 2006 10:34AM
Having been a big fan of the 5kHz Musketeer series, I was excited to hear that Minelab had developed a single frequency detector with audio and visual target ID. Having used the X-Terras for several months now, I thought I might post a short (long?) article on some recommendations for setting up your machine, as well as what to listen for (and watch for) while coin hunting. This isn't the Holy Grail of X-Terra coin-shooting. It is just some documented thoughts and tips from a guy who uses the X-Terras.

Both the X-Terra 30 and the X-Terra 50 offer single frequency technology, multiple audio tones, adjustable notch discrimination, pinpointing mode, all-metal mode, a large LCD panel, adjustable sensitivity and separate adjustable volume settings for speaker or headphones. Although the notch segments, audio tones and ground balance differ between the two models, both offer the same basic functionality. The fixed ground balance on the X-30 is set to provide adequate operation in most types of soil. The adjustable ground balance on the X-50 allows the user to adjust the ground balance to operate smoothly in most every hunting environment. Ground balance settings apply to all hunting modes of the X-Terra 50. Proper ground balance will minimize false signals caused by ground mineralization and maximize the ability to provide accurate target identification. To properly adjust the X-50 for the site you are hunting, set the detector to the all-metal mode and find an area of ground that is clear of any metal. Before making any adjustment to the ground balance, temporarily adjust the sensitivity down to a level in the single digits. Sensitivity is the detector

Very Well Done Randy :clap:N/T
Posted by: Mike Bearden
Date: February 14, 2006 01:04PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Thanks Guys!N/T
Posted by: Digger
Date: February 14, 2006 04:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2006 08:48PM by Digger.

great advice digger!N/T
Posted by: davidg
Date: February 14, 2006 04:36PM

Re: Great report Randy. THANKSN/T
Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: February 14, 2006 04:58PM

Nice Writeup Randy - Thanks!N/T
Posted by: steve herschbach
Date: February 14, 2006 05:21PM

WOW!!! What a Great Write UpRandy!!!N/T
Posted by: Frankallen
Date: February 14, 2006 09:17PM

Should be on Minelab Corporate Website for the X Terra.
Posted by: bill(de)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:43AM
Excellent report Randy. Thank You ..

One thing i found while air testing coin VDI#'s using an XLT was the the numbers would deviate as much as 3 digits on the 180# scale depending on sweep angle of the coin at about 4" from coil.So perhaps if a coin is laying at a slight angle and throw in other factors, could very easily explain the ID block jumps but as Digger stated consistency is key. HH Bill

Re: X-Terra Tips for the Coin-$hooter
Posted by: wpaxt
Date: February 15, 2006 12:42PM
Keep this up & you'll be coming out with a book before we know it!

Nice work, Randy.

Bill

Posted by: Charlie P. (NY)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:12PM
Great resource. Thanks!

Nice Report Randy on the ExterraN/T
Posted by: JaWi.
Date: February 15, 2006 10:01PM

Thanks Randy!!N/T
Posted by: chigger
Date: February 16, 2006 05:09AM

Great post Randy
Posted by: gohio
Date: February 17, 2006 05:07AM
Re: Nice Randy, hope the dummies on her...
Posted by: buttondigger
Date: February 18, 2006 07:28AM
take your advice. it was solid. Tex:please:

Posted by: Jerry-Iowa
Date: February 18, 2006 06:23PM
Hi Randy received my new X-50 Friday, followed your setup and took it out today just for as tryout. The machine really worked great although ground was to frozen to recover anything. I used it in my yard and was surprised on the deep targets I was hitting. I went over the yard a few years ago with a Garrett

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login