Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Coin Shooting with the X-Terra 70 (long read)
Posted by: Digger
Date: March 18, 2007 02:25PM
Coin Shooting with the X-Terra 70

Several months ago, I wrote an article entitled Coin Shooting with the X-Terra. This article was designed to jump-start hobbyists detecting with either the Minelab X-Terra 30 or the X-Terra 50. My intentions were to immediately follow that article up with one on the X-Terra 70. But, as many of those using it can attest to, the more I use it the more I learn. So much that it has taken me nearly a year to come up with an article that logically explains some of the ways I use the X-70. So let

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After more than 46-years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Re: Coin Shooting with the X-Terra 70 (long read)
Posted by: NH Bob
Date: March 18, 2007 04:07PM
Interesting read Randy,
I'm going to incorporate your sensitivity section in my start up procedure. Makes perfect sense to me.
Also was impressed that this is a compilation of a years work or should we say enjoyment.
Thanx Bob.

HELL IS NEVER FULL

Is this the correct one for the X30 & X50
Posted by: BarnacleBill
Date: March 18, 2007 04:10PM
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,288286,288286#msg-288286 ???

Cause it's easier finding 1/40th gram of gold than finding an entry in your ~400 posts. :rofl:

X70's already in the bank, thanks for taking the time, my fingers got typist cramp half-way through reading it.

HH
BarnacleBill

Yep. That is the one.....
Date: March 18, 2007 04:24PM
I wrote some time back. There may have been a few "tricks" I've learned since that was written. But, all in all, it is still pretty accurate. Thanks. HH Randy

After more than 46-years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Thanks Bob. I like to think of it as.....
Date: March 18, 2007 04:46PM
a labor of love. Not that I like writing, so much. But I just LOVE metal detecting! HH Randy

Re: Great article Randy i made a print out to read again. Glad i didn't trade my X70!N/T
Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: March 18, 2007 05:33PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Hi Frank, won't be long now. I got some new spots lined up.N/T
Posted by: NH Bob
Date: March 18, 2007 05:38PM

HELL IS NEVER FULL

Posted by: crow-duck
Date: March 18, 2007 06:04PM
Randy you did a great job !!!!!I wander if they could post it at the top of the forum to keep some of the same questions ask over and over and as a reference for everyone.
crowduck

Posted by: Ed in Mo
Date: March 18, 2007 06:22PM
WOW....great job!!

Posted by: B.T
Date: March 18, 2007 06:46PM
Great post Digger but Im a bit tripped out by the recomendation of "NOT" to use tracking whilst prospecting in highly mineralised ground. (Before I go on this is not a knock at your integrity.) I find it works great, though like a typical auto tracker it needs a reminder to hurry up now and then, I call the "Semi Auto Trackers". If I hunt in fixed in real bad ground where there are mineral, positive to negative, changes in just inches of each other I will be going from one end of the bal scale to the other in inches. Losing depth, gaining depth, losing depth and so on. Unless I check and adjust every two or three seconds or every two or three inches.
I have no probs with the Auto track on the 70 and have found insanely small bits whilst using it. Perhaps the people using it and experiencing probs are just turning it on and not riding it, so to speak, letting it do it all itself which if you do that it will become lazy and not track on certain changes. Think of the tracking like those trick shift auto's in cars where you still have to hit the shift but not the clutch. You both work together.
Now and then give it a reminder pump or when you hear the threshold drop or rise , not from target but minerals, hit the track button twice whislt pumping it to quiken it up.
Too it may be that where they are hunting is a unique area of mineralisation where the tracking just doesnt recognise whats going on. Which I could understand happening. There must be places like that somewhere.
If so my full appologies for appearing to correct anything you wrote because thats not what this is for. Again top post and info.
More please.

Date: March 18, 2007 07:27PM
Good Point BT. As long as the user understands that Tracking Ground Balance will update the settings very quickly for the first three seconds, and then slow down, and, you are willing to "ride the clutch" to keep it fast, it will work as designed. And, as long as the user understands that Tracking Ground Balance may result in nulling out a target if you continually sweep the coil over it, it will work as designed. Thanks for you comments. As I said in my post, I don't Prospect for gold. So, if you have any other tips, please share them with us. HH Randy

Re: Is this the correct one for the X30 & X50
Posted by: Carib24k
Date: March 18, 2007 08:19PM
great information guys,since i bought my x50 January 1'st its been great the more i use it the more i love it. now i know what all the terms mean and can understand your post. keep the good works

Glad i didn't trade my X70!
Posted by: Dick from IA
Date: March 18, 2007 08:51PM
Frank in NH
n/t
Glad i didn't trade my X70!

Me too, Frank :bouncy:
I had it for sale last month and almost let it go; a little birdie on my shoulder said "Don't", and I didn't. Phew!!

Went out for the first time ever using the 5x10DD coil; Man, does that coil ever find the "itsy bitsy" pieces. It's gonna get me some rings this year; I can feel it :wiggle:

Dick from IA
Fort Dodge Iowa

Thanks Digger, I printed it out and will read it again when I get the smaller coil!N/T
Posted by: plugger
Date: March 19, 2007 10:36AM

Re: Yup! That 5x10 is almost as good as having a small coil but not quite.N/T
Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: March 19, 2007 11:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login