Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
XTERRA70?
Posted by: dragon6banger
Date: May 04, 2009 11:40PM
I JUST GOT AN XTERRA 70 AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HERE USE ONE FOR RELIC OR CIVIL WAR HUNTING THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO SHARE SOME VDI NUMBERS WITH ME? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Re: XTERRA70?
Posted by: BarnacleBill
Date: May 05, 2009 05:58AM
Welcome to the forum and I am sure one of the relic types will share some numbers with you. If you are using a regular keyboard please use upper & lower case letters in your posts, as it makes it easier for the members to read them.

HH
BarnacleBill

Posted by: morelic55
Date: May 05, 2009 06:33AM
Welcome to the X-Terra, I have been using the 70 for a couple of seasons for relic hunting and found that it is a very good machine for relics. I also use the 10.5DD 7.5 kHz coil, which adds great seperation, even in iron laced sites. A little word on ID numbers, at least on bullets & buttons they are very different from "air" tests in the actual ground.

Small buttons & bullets..............6-18
Larger buttons...........................18-42
Bullets .54 to .69 cal..................28-44

Understand that the deeper the object is the more "bouncy" the ID number will be. If the meter jumps from the 20's to the 40's I dig it.
My settings for MY ground may be different than yours.

Sens..........as much as the site will allow, just don't "Over Drive" it, it can get eratic.
Noise Cancel in Auto Mode
ALL Metal, 2 tones, althou I have been trying 1 tone lately and the targets seem to come in louder
Auto Track works well for me also.
I have found bullets & buttons at 12" in rocky ground and I dig everything that gives a +ID, even if it sounds "Iffy"
I tend to stay away from the "Pattern" Modes due to the signals sounding "Choppy" However, I use Pattern 1 is the Iron is too thick, get a hightone and switch to all metal and it seems to seperate and smooth out. Slow your loop down and it will lock in on the target.

Hope this helps, HH MO

With your permission MO I'd like to add your post to the FAQFAQ, OK?N/T
Posted by: BarnacleBill
Date: May 05, 2009 07:02AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: With your permission MO I'd like to add your post to the FAQFAQ, OK?
Date: May 05, 2009 12:36PM
BarnacleBill
n/t

Sounds Good To Me Bill................................Thanks

Posted by: David
Date: May 05, 2009 08:11PM
morelic55, good stuff. To get more depth is there any application to use Prospecting Mode for "relics" in very low trash areas in large fields, also maybe using Iron Mask if necessary?

OR is the sweep speed too slow with Prospecting Mode? OR there is usually too much trash in the ground to use it?

Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 08:14PM by David.

Posted by: dragon6banger
Date: May 05, 2009 08:46PM
now that was a lot of help thank you very much. ive never had that happen on any other forum i belong to people just beat around the bush so thank you

Date: May 05, 2009 09:51PM
David, I have tried the prospecting mode with limited success, with the iron mask on. It is great if you are in a open area away from modern trash. I just use it and when I get a hit, I switch to all metal to get a ID number. If it is not a negitive reading, I'll dig it. I have found some deep brass & lead that way. I have not noticed any diff in sweep speed as I am a slow hunter anyways.

HH................MO

Dragon, I Just Tell It Like It Is.....The X70 Is A Great Relic MachineN/T
Date: May 05, 2009 09:53PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: djc19601
Date: November 14, 2009 07:57AM
I am new to all this and just got the Xterra 79, I really could use some help in using it. I have trouble understanding what settings i should be in for relic hunting, I live in VA so that is where I try to detect. I apologize for not being smarter but I am not a technical type of guy. I love relic hunting and was told this was a great machine to use, I just don't know what settings to use. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

Posted by: Canewrap
Date: November 14, 2009 09:37AM
I use a 70 and a 705 for relic hunting. What do you need help with?

Posted by: baggins
Date: February 16, 2010 04:01AM
I am interested as well...about to do some big hunts this year!
Baggins

Posted by: Dirt Poor
Date: February 16, 2010 10:52PM
djc19601
I am new to all this and just got the Xterra 79, I really could use some help in using it. I have trouble understanding what settings i should be in for relic hunting, I live in VA so that is where I try to detect. I apologize for not being smarter but I am not a technical type of guy. I love relic hunting and was told this was a great machine to use, I just don't know what settings to use. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.
I got a 70 last year and I also live in VA. I like my machine for relics. Some good info posted above about scale readings for targets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login