Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Teknetics coils, for Mark 1
Posted by: Old California
Date: October 04, 2013 02:13PM
Hi Harold,

The Mark 1 will ID a coin a bit higher as depth increases, And the audio pitch will increases higher as well.

HH, Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Re: Genetics coils, for Mark 1
Posted by: Hybridcruiser
Date: June 25, 2018 12:53AM
sure would like that red coil for my mark 1 LTD, When I bought that detector band new from outdoors outfitters for some reason I never got the red coil with it. It was a open box when I got it, I suppose he took it out and sold it to someone else and I ended up with a grey one I suspect he took out of another box.. oh well . I think this winter I will send it in to East Texas have him go over and do what ever he does to mod it out.. The detector is not on the shaft anymore outdoors outfitters did a conversion on it where you use a strap that goes around your shoulder like those guys do playing a guitar. One time I left on the back of the car on the trunk lid and I'm going down the road and I hear a crash and bang so I LOOK in the mirror and I see it sliding down the road at like 25 or 30 miles a hour .I thought I was going to have a heart attack or something, anyway I pull over and ran over to it and all it did was ware some of the knobs down. all I got to say is that thing is built like a armored tank and it still works to this day.
hybridcruiser

Paul, there was also a grey 12” that was bounty hunter and I also have the grey 12” for the S/T
Posted by: jtalley007
Date: July 03, 2018 08:17PM
You must have a tractor trailer you store your collection, LOL

HH,

Jerry

Posted by: B.A.W.
Date: December 05, 2018 06:59PM
Hey, all.

I recently acquired a 12" Hot Head Coil originally used on the Whites 6.6 kHz detectors. I intend to use it on my Teknetics Mark I. I made an adapter cable for it. It seemed to be good when I bench tested it, with the readings coming in slightly lower than the Fisher DD coil I've been running. When I tested over ground, I ran into some issues. I couldn't get it to ground balance properly. No matter how I adjusted it, the threshold tone would disappear as the coil approached the ground. There also seemed to be a good amount of falsing going on, a lot of high tones. This falsing occurs also if the coil is shook/impacts something and when pumping the coil to the ground, as when ground balancing most machines. Is some sensitivity like this typical for the Hot Head coils? When I would swing over something that seemed to be actually there, I wasn't able to pinpoint it reliably. I only spent about ten minutes at it and didn't dig anything, but my feeling is that something is wrong. I suppose it is possible that the coil is damaged somehow, despite the seller's description saying the contrary. It's always a gamble with online purchases, eh? I'm also a little uncertain about my wiring of the adapter cable. I found some information about the Whites plug wiring online, and I referenced my copy of the Mark I wiring schematic for the Teknetics side. I ended up pairing the terminals in the following way: W(hites)1<->T(eknetics)1; W2<->T2; W3<->T5; W4<->T4; W5<->T3. Could having the transmit and/or receive pairs reversed cause the issues, being out of phase or something of the like? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Posted by: straker
Date: December 06, 2018 11:08AM
There could be 2 reasons why your Hot Head coil isn't functioning properly with your Mark 1.
You might have a later series Hot Head coil. You can tell by the design of the upper housing and color of the cable. The later style used a black shiny cable and were intended to work on the Whites that came standard with the Bluemax 950 coil. The Bluemax coil(1989-) equipped Whites had changes made that you couldn't use the earlier '6B' coils on them and vice versa. The Mark 1 can only use the earlier Whites '6B' coils.
I would like to see a photo of your Hot Head coil. Then I can tell you what Whites it's intended for.
Secondly,your adapter cord could be wired incorrectly. I have an original Tek to Whites coil cord adapter,but I don't know the wiring order. I suppose I could loosen the collars and expose the wiring,but I would prefer not to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 11:36AM by straker.

Date: December 06, 2018 12:50PM
Thank you, straker, for the quick reply. I believe it is for the later models as you suggest. It does have a shiny black cord, see the attached image. I'll probably end up selling this coil,as I do not have a compatible detector. Or wait, does this mean I get to add another detector to the collection? Hmm...

No worries about checking the wiring on your original adapter; no need to mess it up in the process. As a side note, in my initial wiring attempt on the adapter, I somehow managed to reverse one of the receive leads and the ground without knowing. I air tested it, and it seemed to identify targets just fine. It was only after reexamining the connections that I realized my mistake and rewired them as listed above. I'm baffled, but then again most things electrical are Greek to me.

Ben

Date: December 06, 2018 03:03PM
The Hot Head coil you shown might be for a Whites that had a Bluemax coil. If this same coil had a gray cable,it might've been alright.
Shown is the big Hot Head for the earlier Whites 6.6 khz units.
I'm glad you found the problem in the wiring.

I would add ......
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: December 07, 2018 01:07PM
Hot head coils were a bit deceptively marketed. When they had a lot of advertising, back-in-the-day (treasure mag's), a lot of people fell for the promise of added depth. So for example, they'd show their coil's depth on a dime, versus the manufacturer's depth on a dime. Touting you'd get an extra inch or whatever. Woohoo.

But if you looked closely at the ads, you'd see that their hothead coils were larger than whatever stock coil they were comparing it to. For example, if they'd be comparing their own H.H. 10" coil to a Whites stock 8" coil, etc.... Well DUH ! OF COURSE you'll go deeper, with larger coils . Albeit with the all the drawbacks of going to a larger coil (fishier performance, more masking, poorer pinpointing, etc....). So too would a person "go deeper" with the manufacturer's OWN "larger coil".

I always felt that was manipulative deceptive marketing. And gullible newbies bought them, thinking they were getting a better mousetrap.

And to whatever extent this aftermarket coil innards might have been different than the manufacturers coils, it apparently was not too good. Because there were a lot of people who complained about the results and quality. Eg.: falsing, static, etc....

And think of it: If it was really that simple to make this "better mousetrap" , then you'd think that the manufacturers themselves would be ALL OVER THEMSELVES to buy up the tech, and simply have it on/in their stock machines.

Re: I would add ......
Date: December 07, 2018 03:07PM
I've wondered about this relationship between the stock coils and and the aftermarket offerings,especially in today's market. How much better could the aftermarket options be? I can understand if there is some patent-protected innovation offering improved performance, but there is seldom such transparency on these things. I agree that often marketing is the main player here, call it influencing or deception. It would be nice if there was a truly disinterested, third-party testing group to evaluate all these products. Is there such a thing? I would love to see a vast archive of detailed reports of machine performance, including all our favorite vintage machines, and leaving out all the opinion and anecdotal evidence. I know that there are many variables involved which will affect the actual in-the-field performance, but a true benchmarking process would be helpful in making decisions in the marketplace. I would think that this is done by the individual manufacturers as a part of their research and development efforts, but again, not made public in the name of protecting proprietary elements.

Posted by: Arthur-Canada
Date: January 07, 2019 05:27PM
Tom_in_CA
Hot head coils were a bit deceptively marketed. When they had a lot of advertising, back-in-the-day (treasure mag's), a lot of people fell for the promise of added depth. So for example, they'd show their coil's depth on a dime, versus the manufacturer's depth on a dime. Touting you'd get an extra inch or whatever. Woohoo.

But if you looked closely at the ads, you'd see that their hothead coils were larger than whatever stock coil they were comparing it to. For example, if they'd be comparing their own H.H. 10" coil to a Whites stock 8" coil, etc.... Well DUH ! OF COURSE you'll go deeper, with larger coils . Albeit with the all the drawbacks of going to a larger coil (fishier performance, more masking, poorer pinpointing, etc....). So too would a person "go deeper" with the manufacturer's OWN "larger coil".

I always felt that was manipulative deceptive marketing. And gullible newbies bought them, thinking they were getting a better mousetrap.

And to whatever extent this aftermarket coil innards might have been different than the manufacturers coils, it apparently was not too good. Because there were a lot of people who complained about the results and quality. Eg.: falsing, static, etc....

And think of it: If it was really that simple to make this "better mousetrap" , then you'd think that the manufacturers themselves would be ALL OVER THEMSELVES to buy up the tech, and simply have it on/in their stock machines.

Weren't these Hot Head coils made by Wilson...the guy who made the Wilson detectors?

Date: March 09, 2019 12:42PM
I wonder if one of the 'Discovery Electronics' founders made Hot Heads? I see similarities between the 'Ferrett' 5.5" and 10" open center coils made for various brands.
I just bought a 'Ferret' coil for a Whites and will try it on my Teknetics Mark 1 via 'Tek to Whites' coil cord adapter. Has anyone ever done this before?

Date: March 09, 2019 01:31PM
straker
I wonder if one of the 'Discovery Electronics' founders made Hot Heads? I see similarities between the 'Ferrett' 5.5" and 10" open center coils made for various brands.
I just bought a 'Ferret' coil for a Whites and will try it on my Teknetics Mark 1 via 'Tek to Whites' coil cord adapter. Has anyone ever done this before?

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: March 11, 2019 09:34AM
Haha, well GEE , if it's got an art depiction of a lightening bolt coming out , and words like "...professional..." and "... energy..." and "... hot...", then GEE, it MUST be good, eh ? Who doesn't want to be a professional , be hot, and have energy after all, eh ? Madison Ave. marketing at its finest.

Posted by: Happy_Hour
Date: March 15, 2019 12:51PM
It should work. I use the first Whites snooper coil with the Turbo Tek. Nice Ferret, been looking for one for quite sometime.

Date: March 17, 2019 02:55PM
Happy_Hour
It should work. I use the first Whites snooper coil with the Turbo Tek. Nice Ferret, been looking for one for quite sometime.

I also use the first Whites snooper coil on my Mark 1. Way deeper than the later bounty hunter black hockey puck! Someone on the big auction site a little while ago had a few 'ferrets' for sale and I was lucky to get one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login