Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Red Heat Tornado
Posted by: beau61
Date: December 27, 2013 08:15PM
Just picked one up.Does anyone own or have owned one?Would like to know kHz it operates in and what size coils were made for it.

Re: Red Heat Tornado
Posted by: Nuke em
Date: January 31, 2014 12:13PM
I have had them in the past , I met Vik Fiveash in Peckham London a few times and hunted with him occasionally . I have had the mk 2 , mk4 Lightning , Tornado x 2 , XD 17 x 2 and the XD 17 micro .
The Tornado runs on 13 khts as I recall on a 8.5 in coil but Vik modified my first one so it ran on the XD freq too at 17khts with a 10 in coil , also supped it up too which made it very deep.

They are not easy to get spares for anymore due to Vik dying on 6 November 2006 of Pancreatic cancer . The stems are made from a single tripod stem of a camera tripod but the rest he made from scratch .

The only coil I know that was made for the Tornado is the concentric that it comes with.

Good luck and look after the old Tornado .

Richard

Date: January 31, 2014 02:33PM
Hi Richard,thank you for that information.To know and detect with the fellow must have been an experience.I will look after it,it is in good condition,and I do like the tripod arm for the stem.Works well.It is a keeper.Beau

Date: January 31, 2014 02:35PM
I wish I kept 1 of each of the Tornado and XD17 .

Date: January 31, 2014 03:16PM
Yes Beau , Vik was very intelligent and knew what he was doing . He should me around his rooms where he made the machines and coils , its a great pity that he died.

Date: January 31, 2014 06:55PM
Yes a real pity he died.Wish you kept 2 XDs

Date: January 31, 2014 07:01PM
At the time he was getting ill , he was about to release a new Tornado but I never saw one and at the time of his death I was only a few weeks from getting one.

Posted by: UK Brian
Date: March 16, 2014 05:20AM
You should be able to pick up a 4.5 inch coil.

Date: March 17, 2014 09:34PM
Brian the 4.5in coil is very rare, like the machines are getting. I really wish I kept my XD17.

Posted by: UK Brian
Date: March 18, 2014 05:02AM
One sold on Preloved last month for

Date: November 26, 2014 05:42PM
I just picked up a 4.5 coil for the Tornado,never thought I would find one.Works good,with batteries and 4.5 coil, Tornado weights over a lb.feels lighter than my Deus.Its my favorite detector in my collection.Found the coil in GB

Posted by: Tallon
Date: October 18, 2015 12:36PM
Hello Nuke Em! Cheers from the U.S. I was wondering how quick these machines are in terms of recovery speed/ target separation as it seems that a lot of my fellow citizens seem to like to have used the 'great outdoors' as a way to get rid of their rubbish in the ballparks, parks, etc., that we have around here where I live. Of course the smaller 4.5" coil, I'm sure, would be better at 'cherry picking' out the smaller gold rings, necklaces, earrings, etc. in between trash than the larger coil:twodetecting:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2015 12:40PM by Tallon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login