Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Manufacturer dates
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: December 29, 2017 11:53AM
Awesome work Paul !! In 1000 yrs, if ever the "history of metal detectors" is ever studied, an archaeologist will find all the posts of "Paul in CA". And your work and collection will be famous :) Thanx for all your inputs and cool pix.

Re: Manufacturer dates
Posted by: Old California
Date: December 31, 2017 01:51AM
Thanks Tom,

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Re: Anyone, why two meters on a (BFO?) detector?
Posted by: Joe(TX)
Date: January 05, 2018 02:09PM
Back in the late 60's and 70's the attitude was bigger was better. We use to scoff at the small boxed detectors and if the control box was made out of plastic we would called call it a "Toy." Being very light was also considered to be a toy...most of the good detectors had an expected weight to them. If one meter was good, two meters should be better?

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: January 06, 2018 12:42PM
Joe(TX)
Back in the late 60's and 70's the attitude was bigger was better. We use to scoff at the small boxed detectors and if the control box was made out of plastic we would called call it a "Toy." Being very light was also considered to be a toy...most of the good detectors had an expected weight to them. If one meter was good, two meters should be better?

Bingo. Good answer. It was just Madison Ave. psychology. Yes, in that era , a LARGE tape recorder was simply deemed to be better. A LARGE radio, was deemed to have better sound. Any electronic item that was small, was supposedly more of a toy, or cheaper stuff.

But .... as time went on during the later 1960s and into the 1970s, electronics shrunk, and IMPROVED at the same time. Consumer mentality changed. The size ceased to be a psychological impediment. But these old behemoths hearken back to that earlier consumer mindset.

Re: Anyone, why two meters on a (BFO?) detector? HA, Paul
Posted by: Flintstone
Date: January 24, 2018 01:51PM
Is this set up like the Garrett's Master Hunter ADS 7 ? It takes about 8 or 9 , 9v battery's. I have a 7 in the case with the Hot Head coils I have not used in 10 years or more. I need to put it to use.

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: February 23, 2018 10:45PM
Why two meters on a BFO?

Because they needed all the help they could get. :wink:

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: Melbeta
Date: March 24, 2018 02:55PM
The BFO from Louisiana was the company called TreasureTronics, and their top of the line which had a meter which identified Good/Bad, was the SST Treasure Pro. It was the first discriminatior. And I was not only a dealer, at the time I used it. It worked, but had oscillator drift problems. If you tuned it in the sun, and walked into the shade, you had to retune it again. I have an adv of theirs from May 1969.
Melbeta

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login