Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
D-tex bandit 1 Info needed
Posted by: This Dwayne
Date: January 30, 2018 09:23AM
I have an old D-tex "Bandit 1" detector. Just trying to get it in operation. Searched everywhere and haven't found a schematic. Sure would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. I do need a manual also. I think it was built in 1975.

Thanks.

Dwayne

Re: D-tex bandit 1 Info needed
Posted by: rlchntr
Date: January 30, 2018 08:22PM
Dwayne, have you checked out Sven's treasurelinx site? There is a D-tex link there with catalogs, manuals and info.
- Gary

Gary - Central Virginia
Recovering & preserving history for future generations
White's: Blue & Gray Pro 6000/DI Pro SL XL Pro 4900 DL Max MXT All Pro Garrett: AT Pro AT Gold C&G Technology Inc: VLF Wildcat Lynx Lots of coils Pro-pointer AT Gray Ghost headphones

That site:
Posted by: vlad
Date: January 30, 2018 10:27PM
https://www.treasurelinx.com/d-tex.html
Also, needed parts or info can be gotten from Keith Wills, at East Texas Metal Detectors:
http://www.brokendetector.com/

Posted by: Old California
Date: January 31, 2018 01:57AM
Hello Dwayne,

I've never heard of this model, Joe from Texas would probably be the best source he may have come across one.

Lately, I've seen a couple of D-tex models surface that I've never seen before. One on Craigslist the other on @#$%&, passed both up. Now, wished I'd made an effort to get them.

Good luck,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Has anyone heard from Frank Ball in recent years? (or Dorian Cook?)
Date: January 31, 2018 04:49AM
Last time I talked to him was when they were making the copy of the Fisher 1266x.
The batteries went in the housing, and you could lock it in either disc, mode.

Re: That site:
Date: January 31, 2018 05:28PM
Thanks Vlad.

I will search the links again.

Dwayne

Date: January 31, 2018 05:42PM
Paul
Thank you for trying to help on this ancient 1975 detector. I do not think you need to buy one. It is pretty basic with a very small circuit board containing 7 transistors. A BFO with the meter that tunes to the center. 3 knobs on top and a vernier knob on the back. I did read that the wires from the loop to the circuit board were usually corroded and must be replaced. Just something else to tinker with LOL.

Dwayne

Date: January 31, 2018 10:06PM
Richntr

I have checked Sven's treasurelinx site. It has a wealth of info. A great site. i haven't found a schematic or manual yet, but I am still searching some of the places Sven has listed.
I did find an article showing Bill Mahan and Bob Lilly, the Dallas Cowboy player, became friends and detector hunted together in 1975. Bill gave Bob Lilly his choice of the metal detectors he built and they built a custom D-Tex "Bandit 1" (the one he chose) for him because he was 6' 6" and 265 lbs.

Thanks
Dwayne

Date: February 01, 2018 09:37AM
Dwayne,
Ha! I remember Bob Lilly! Funny he had the same (yet Customized) detector you are trying to find info on. Yeah treasurelinx is an awesome site - gotten loads of info from there. Good continued luck on your search...
- Gary

Gary - Central Virginia
White's: Blue & Gray Pro 6000/DI Pro SL XL Pro 4900 DL Max MXT All Pro Garrett: AT Pro AT Gold C&G Technology Inc: VLF Wildcat Lynx Lots of coils Pro-pointer AT Gray Ghost headphones

The Original Doomsday,
Date: February 01, 2018 02:28PM
Wille (Townes), (Bob) Lilly, Jethro (Pugh) and George (Andre)
Bob #74 was an All Pro almost every year, and good on making the card shows (told me George lived in Pt Neches.)
During season if school was out we'd go up to Dallas, sneak in and watch them practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 02:43PM by vlad.

The Good Ole Days!
Date: February 01, 2018 04:59PM
I lived in Corsicana back then. Everyone had a TV directional beam antenna that was tuned to channel 9 pointed north toward Dallas 50 miles away, just to watch the Cowboys.

Dwayne

Date: February 01, 2018 05:46PM
I grew up outside of D.C. so naturally I was a Skin fan - sorry!
Mr. Cowboy Bob Lilly must have really been into detecting. He's promoting a Master Hunter 7 A.D.S. in Garrett's 1985 catalog.

Gary - Central Virginia

Posted by: Old California
Date: February 02, 2018 02:07AM
Hello Dwayne,

Yes, D-Tex were known for having corroded coil wires with several of it's models.

Actually, Enjoy collecting earlier BFO models. Here are two D-Tex models I picked up last year. One TINY-TEX and one Buccaneer, both still operate and surprisingly the TINY-TEX operates like new with great stability. The Buccaneer, Well the threshold drifts just looking at it so I don't use it.

If you can post a picture of your bandit model, Don't believe I've seen one before, tried to goggle one but nothing surfaced.

Take care,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Post Bob's photo w/ Garrett
Date: February 02, 2018 03:19AM
I could not find it.

Date: February 02, 2018 08:14AM
Here's the best I can do Vlad. Attached photo. It is from the red(ish) catalog with the Olympic symbol in the upper left corner. Page 2.

Gary - Central Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 08:23AM by rlchntr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login