Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I recall seeing him in a detector magazine
Posted by: vlad
Date: February 02, 2018 11:09AM
but cannot find a photo with a Garrett.
In the 70's I started out with a Whites that I got rid of quickly. Went to a Super Pro next and it was king of discriminators-but depth was limited.
Kept it but got a Garrett Deepseeker (much deeper) and used it till D-Tex came out with clones-they had better loops that were not affected by emi.

Re: The Good Ole Days!
Posted by: This Dwayne
Date: February 02, 2018 05:58PM
Ok, My first attempt to post a pic @ 800 size. Hope it works.

Dwayne

Re: D-tex bandit 1 Info needed
Posted by: rlchntr
Date: February 02, 2018 07:29PM
Wow man, I really like this detector. A lot. An old hunter I knew in the 90's had a Rebel 1 that was all beat up. Yours is the only other one I've seen. I hope you do get it operating. Keep us posted...

- Gary

Gary - Central Virginia
Recovering & preserving history for future generations
White's: Blue & Gray Pro 6000/DI Pro SL XL Pro 4900 DL Max MXT All Pro Garrett: AT Pro AT Gold C&G Technology Inc: VLF Wildcat Lynx Lots of coils Pro-pointer AT Gray Ghost headphones

Re: D-tex bandit 1 Info needed
Date: February 02, 2018 07:45PM
Thanks Gary

Keep you posted.

Dwayne

One similar to yours
Posted by: Old California
Date: February 03, 2018 02:41AM
Thanks for sharing these pictures on the Rebel Bandit I Dwayne, first time I've seen one. Very clean, surely one of the latest if not last BFO D-TEX made. The White control box was used with their TR models, I have a Coin King 1 TR Discriminator with same type White plastic box.

BFO models had a 3-pin coil connector plug on the front portion of housing such as the BFO CoinShooter II, while the Coin King 1 TR model used a 6-pin connector. I'll try and post a couple of pics, showing the differences.

The Coin King II TR takes 4 9-volt batteries, operates great with push button handle feature.

You have an extremely nice piece of equipment there, Very fortunate to have found it.

Was wondering is it possible yours is a TR not BFO? The coil connector is an indicator, 3-pin BFO 6-pin TR.

Thanks again for sharing,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 02:54AM by Old California.

Re: One similar to yours
Date: February 05, 2018 09:17PM
Paul
One of your D-tex units has a vernier dial on the rear like mine. What is it for? The meter on mine, when it is set to zero, will have the needle in the center. Straight up and down. I do not have any information how to tune or use this thing, but it might be a while before i get the wires replaced on the coil to the case. I'm probably wrong. I thought a BFO was a beat frequency oscillator and maybe it would have 2 coils and the meter would be adjusted to "0" and maybe ferrous would deflect one way and nonferrous would deflect the other way.
See how dumb I am on this unit? Does the meter zero in the center on your unit that has the vernier knob on the rear? I attached a pic of the coil connector with 5 pins. Unit has 3 9 volt batteries. What kind of depth will these units get on coins?
Your 2 pictures show 2 neat detectors. I

Dwayne

Re: One similar to yours
Date: February 06, 2018 06:20PM
Hello Dwayne,

Here out West, BFO Depth is about 2" to 3.5" inches depending on model. Not too great, I'm lucky to get 2" to 3" inches on penny/dime signals, 3.5" inches on a nickel or quarter is about max and those are rare.

The rear vernier dial on the older D-Tex is the BFO tuner, yours is the same but I'm not seeing the additional metal/mineral on your model? There should be two dials, one metal/mineral and one rare mount dial like yours.

I see a meter knob top left corner?, unless this is the metal/mineral knob? Do see an Off/Volume knob, and battery/Volume knob.

I can replace the coil cable inside the shaft if you like, just mail me the shaft. I'll ship it back to you, and if possible enclose housing and smaller coil so I can test the unit.

The meter on yours should be adjusted to center once you set the rear vernier tuner, then as iron passes underneath coil it'll peg left. Conductive will peg right, providing metal/mineral knob is adjusted to metal side. But that's what is confusing me, I don't see a metal/mineral knob?

If you can't get it going, send me the entire unit and I'll get it going for you, I'll forward it back to you. Nocharge, I enjoy messing with vintage models.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

D-tex "Rebel"
Date: February 06, 2018 06:49PM
Paul

Check this pic and you can see all of the top left knob. Does that help any?

Dwayne

Re: D-tex "Rebel"
Date: February 07, 2018 01:56AM
Yes, I see the meter sensitivity. I think once you've adjusted the rear combination tuner, then adjust the meter sensitivity to zero (0). Then, all non ferrous will swing right, ferrous will swing left.

Your model may only have the rear combination tuner, with a small trimmer pot inside with a preset adjustment from factory which tuned the coils.

That's my take on this model, the combination tuner is for both metal and mineral. This may be a simplified BFO needing little adjustments, wouldn't know for sure unless I seen the inside and up close after its running.

Plus, These coils look more like TR and with 5-pin coil connectors. Strange, But who knows maybe a later simplifed BFO?

Once you replace the coil wires, it should fire up.

Thanks for sharing,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Re: D-tex "Rebel"
Date: February 07, 2018 06:55AM
Thanks for all the great input Paul. Wish i had your knowledge also.

Dwayne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login