Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Bounty Hunter III
Posted by: Fredschmed2018
Date: September 04, 2018 06:44PM
Just received a Pacific Northwest Instruments Bounty Hunter III ....no manual or power supply Where do I begin My hunt??

Re: Bounty Hunter III
Date: September 04, 2018 11:24PM
I guess with the response to my questions regarding the bounty hunter asking anything about my whites gold master would be ridiculous ??

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: September 05, 2018 06:02AM
Fred-schmed-2018 : Bear in mind you're asking about machines that are 40 to 50 yrs. old . So even those of us who used those machines back then, .... it's going to be hard to give you an entire manual of instructions, on a thread like this.

I never personally used the Bounty Hunter . But judging from the face-panel pix I've found on google-images, it's akin to most of the others of that generation, as-per way-to-operate. But what is it that you want to know ?? You say "no power supply" , so ... unless you get a battery and power it up, how is any instruction I can give going to help you ? Does it not have a battery pack ? I'm not sure what you're asking about.

As for the "Whites Goldmaster" : Be aware that Whites Co. used the term "goldmaster" in a multitude of machine names over the years. Can you post a pix of the face panel , so I know which goldmaster it is, that you are asking about. Then I'll take a crack at that one.

Posted by: Elton
Date: September 05, 2018 11:00AM
You will not get a lot of response about a 40 or so year metal detector.. The gold machine may be different if all knows what you have..

You also may have to make parts you need.. perhaps if you sent Garrett a letter asking.. or a call, someone there could guide you better.

So in answer to your direct question Garrett is where you begin... Good luck...

Administrator of Finds Treasure Forums
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Posted by: straker
Date: September 05, 2018 11:35AM
Try this and be enlightened...

Bounty Hunter III Information

Garrett ? :/
Date: September 05, 2018 12:01PM
Garrett ? Why would Garrett have any input to his questions ? He was asking about a 1) Bounty Hunter, and 2) Whites. Not Garrett :inlove:

Date: September 05, 2018 12:07PM
Nice catch. I didn't realize that was a BFO. Wow, what a dinosaur. Circa very early 1970s.

I never used that particular BFO, but I do recall seeing a few BFO's still in use, when I started in the mid 1970s. But by the mid 1970s, guys were quickly switching to TRs of various sorts. The BFO's did good *just* to get a coin to 3 or 4". The TR's were smoother, more sensitive, etc....

HOWEVER : One benefit to the BFOs, ironically, was that they made decent cache hunters. Because, ironically, "more sensitive" is NOT what a person wants, when cache hunting. He does NOT want to be bothered with pesky small things like coins, tabs, foil, rings, etc.... And whereas a BFO wasn't particularly sensitive to coin-sized items, yet it could find a toaster or jar sized item, just fine.

Same logic for a 2-box machine : While it's true that some standard machines can find a toaster or jar just as deep as a 2-box, yet the magic of the 2-box is that it simply can't find anything smaller than a soda can.

So it's ironic that a lot of caches were found "back in the day" with machines that were kind of lousy. Ie.: BFO, all-metal TR, etc.... Hence sometimes: "More sensitive" does not always equate to better. Depending on the targets you are looking for.

Date: September 05, 2018 07:21PM
I will get on it...much thanks...Its a new hobby

Date: September 05, 2018 07:22PM
Much thanks

Date: September 05, 2018 07:23PM
Rajah Dat...Thanks

Date: September 05, 2018 07:25PM
:clapping:Much thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login