Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Old Metal Detector used in the 60"s.
Posted by: lazyaussie
Date: January 08, 2009 04:21AM
great finds some of those old detectors are fetching a pretty penny on @#$%& i was going to collect a few & put em on the wall until i saw the price they"r going for :yikes: now i think i"ll stick to the new ones.

Posted by: Jesse W. McComas
Date: January 08, 2009 07:07AM
That is the first Metal Detector my Father bought me back in 1968 when I was 15 years old. I still have it and it does hang on my Wall as a memory of what got me in this hobby so many years ago. I see it every day. Oh, and it still works. It also came with an external speaker that you plug in to the headphone jack if you did not want to use headphones. Thanks for bringing this topic up. The price back in 1968 was $125.00 Used. I would not part with if for any money in the world. HH...Jesse.

Posted by: TomB
Date: January 08, 2009 08:38AM
Marco...The only difference I see in our two detectors is yours is a Metrotech 220S made in 1967 and mine is a Metrotech 220 which I purchased in 1964. I do remember a friend who had a Metrotech with a yellow coil. My first one was black and the coil that I recently purchased was bright orange, which I painted black.

Though I would add a pic of the headphones that came with my detector.

Thanks Marco for the pics TomB

Posted by: papazitro
Date: March 15, 2009 10:15PM
I used to detect with a buddy back in the early 70's he found quite a few rings with it will admit it did look odd when he was trying to pinpoint the item. Talking about old, i used a machine built by compass called MIGHTY MITE, boy i would sure like to know if anyone out there has one they would want to sell me, great nastalgia thnks

Posted by: holder31
Date: March 25, 2009 08:12AM
Hi...while looking through some "junk" at my grandpa's (what a treasure trove he has!!) I found an old Metrotech 220a. I have always been interested in metal detecting but haven't the funds to buy one. I took the metrotech home added a 9volt battery and viola! it worked. They don't make things like they used to. I hope I don't get laughed at too bad when I haul this beast out!!

Posted by: lindoejohn
Date: January 24, 2012 10:12PM
Metrotec 220.. I have one and would appreciate if you could pull battery. Compartment. And tell or send pic where red wire connects to. Not red battery plug

Posted by: Blank Planet
Date: January 25, 2012 12:16AM
Retrotech :biggrin:

wow what a trip down the lane.

blank planet

Posted by: PHIL C. MOORE
Date: January 25, 2012 06:31AM
Was my frist metal detector too use. dug lot relic with them.

Posted by: GTzer
Date: January 26, 2012 05:36AM
Thanks for sharing. Spent entire summers at the DE shore. never saw 1 detector. Did read one early version of a Treasure mag that had a story of finds made with MD's. That seeded my Whites purchase 18 yrs later.

Posted by: hotrod53
Date: January 26, 2012 04:37PM
Great post TomB, I enjoy looking at that old stuff. I had a Jetco Treasure Hawk and GTX Huntmaster back in in 1974 or so. I remember the handle on this thing killing my forearm! Notice no headphone jack, this thing put out a stready tone that would have made you insane in about 20 minutes. You tuned it so that the meter was sitting at 50%, a 50% + reading and a high-going tone was metal, a < 50% reading and a low-going tone was mineral. As crude as it was, I found my best find to date with it.

HotRod
Pittsburgh, PA

Etrac
RNB battery pack
Xterra 705 gold
Coiltek 6" CoilTek coil
Tesoro Cutlass II
Garrett Pro pointer
Piranha digging shovel

Stimulating the economy one coin at a time since 1972.

A cheesy detector in the hands of a good detectorist, beats a good detector in the hands of a cheesy detectorist any day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 04:42PM by hotrod53.

Posted by: jubeco01
Date: August 14, 2013 01:18PM
Posted by: Jesse W. McComas
Date: August 26, 2013 11:27AM
I started & Still Have my Metric 220-A. It still works great on the deep relics. I got mine for a Birthday Present from my Father. I was 15 years old in 1968. He told Me "Go out and find your old coins instead of buying the. Maybe this will keep you of the streets and Out of Trouble!" He was right. Now at age 60 I have a CT-3030, Boy do I miss the Old Days!!!. Happy Hunting...Jesse.

Posted by: sdesic
Date: October 07, 2013 01:56AM
I have one too :)
But it is not working :(
Did you save it ?

Need advice on brown wire - where it goes ?
Must open MD head - something is clanking inside.

Regards
Sinisa

Re: Old Metal Detector used in the 60"s.N/T
Posted by: E.V.
Date: January 31, 2014 10:19PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: E.V.
Date: January 31, 2014 10:46PM
I am getting all sorts of memories about the Metrotech. In the early 60's we Virginia relic hunters were mainly using tube type Fisher T10 or the new transister T20 detectors. Then along came the Metrotech and we all had to get one. I bought mine in 1967. They were outstanding detectors for their time!! They would go deep.You had to dig everything-there was no discrimination , I mounted an on off switch on mine, I found a revolutionary war site that had bad ground and the metrotech could not handle mineralized ground. In good ground (like the Richmond,Va. area) it found everything and then some. Granted buried relics were everywhere then and were inexpensive. I sold 1000 dropped bullets for a nickle each. eagle plates sold for $3.00 each. U.S.buckles were $5.00. A C.S. tongue and wreath sold for $75.00! After the metrotech we all went Nautilus and Fisher 1260,65,and 66. I am 81 now and still dig several times a week using my Nauty DMC2B, my Fishers 1200 series.I've found some good stuff (script I buttons,Virginia button,pewter canteen etc. with my Fisher 1270.lately. I had a F75 and sold it-highly overpriced and overrated detector in my view.. The detectors of the past are still the best!!!!! That metrotech found me tons of stuff!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login