Re: Auto Sensitivity and depth
Posted by: sprchng
Date: December 12, 2017 10:38AM
Posted by: WV62
Date: December 12, 2017 12:26PM
sprchng
You might find this interesting
https://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/e-trac-manual-versus-auto-features-for-expert-users

Thanks for the link, I read through it and made a copy for reference. I think I will save that for step 2 when I get past the beginner stage.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: Silver_Stallion
Date: December 15, 2017 10:57AM
If you've ever checked out cutaplug's vids on Youtube the guy pulls in a ton of deep silver and tells is straight up your have to hunt in manual if you want the deeper coins others have missed. My finds and tests in my coin garden prove this. There are some deep silvers auto plus 3 will not hit in my garden but auto 26 will. See for yourself and test it out. Now that doesn't mean you won't hit allot of stuff in Auto plus you will. If you'r hunting a virgin permission stay away from manual as it will false more and pick up more deep iron. Reserve it for picked over areas with fewer good signals. Before the snow flew I was hunting next to the steps of an abandoned high school in Auto plus 3 to see if any easy targets were there I found none. Since this area next to the entrance had to be pounded to death I went to manual 26. I picked up a signal that was a 12 inch ring that others missed and auto plus 3 had missed.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: December 15, 2017 11:12AM
Like all setting options there is a time and condition where each prevails over the other. I use Auto +3 and switch to manual, sometimes, to check a signal under certain conditions. I've run in manual 26 and done OK in clean sites but in trashy area it seemed to just increase masking.

Just another tool when used properly at the right conditions can increase depth. Used in the wrong condition and you can lose depth.

Just my experience anyway.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 11:12AM by Southwind.

Date: December 15, 2017 05:37PM
Another question, is there an easy way to tell when you cross the line to where you are running to hot?

Ron in WV

Posted by: sprchng
Date: December 15, 2017 06:06PM
Noise , instability , high tone falsing and of course , pulsing.
It will probably change with different dirt.
In mine, if the machine recommends 9 and it's running in auto +3 at 14 or 15 , I can usually push 10 over the recommended and remain stable but when I start getting consistent one way high tones I know it's time to back off. You can still hunt that way if you're a glutton for audio punishment and the Etrac will still sound off on good targets but the hobby is supposed to be fun. Much the same as running a F75 too hot but not as much low iron sounds.

Date: December 15, 2017 07:48PM
sprchng
In mine, if the machine recommends 9 and it's running in auto +3 at 14 or 15 , I can usually push 10 over the recommended and remain stable but when I start getting consistent one way high tones I know it's time to back off. You can still hunt that way if you're a glutton for audio punishment and the Etrac will still sound off on good targets but the hobby is supposed to be fun. Much the same as running a F75 too hot but not as much low iron sounds.

From what you just said I think I have been running on the hot side almost from day one. As I said at first I did run Auto +3 for a short while, then I changed to manual 30 and sometime later I backed that down to 27.

It has kind of turned cold around here and I am not sure when I will be able to get out again, but I will try to pay attention. Maybe I could take an hour out of a hunt and just run that sensitivity up and down and see if I can hear what a calm E-trac sounds like.

Also I have started a lone term project trying to make my own pattern. I started off with Andy's S. pattern which seem to be pretty open and I have been logging in all numbers for items I find, both junk and good stuff. Once I see if I get any kind of grouping of items I can work the pattern in around the items to either open it up or disc some out. If I get some good items coming in close to Andy's disc out area I will open up a few boxes around that area. May end up with nothing but got to keep working.

Ron in WV

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 15, 2017 08:43PM
WV62
sprchng

From what you just said I think I have been running on the hot side almost from day one. As I said at first I did run Auto +3 for a short while, then I changed to manual 30 and sometime later I backed that down to 27.

It has kind of turned cold around here and I am not sure when I will be able to get out again, but I will try to pay attention. Maybe I could take an hour out of a hunt and just run that sensitivity up and down and see if I can hear what a calm E-trac sounds like.

Also I have started a lone term project trying to make my own pattern. I started off with Andy's S. pattern which seem to be pretty open and I have been logging in all numbers for items I find, both junk and good stuff. Once I see if I get any kind of grouping of items I can work the pattern in around the items to either open it up or disc some out. If I get some good items coming in close to Andy's disc out area I will open up a few boxes around that area. May end up with nothing but got to keep working.

Ron in WV

You will wind up knowing the machine inside and out,exactly as I do with the CTX. That will make it easier for you to adjust on the fly if needed,know why it’s doing what it’s doing and make you feel as if YOU ARE IN CONTROL when you’re out hunting. Knowing the technical aspect as thoroughly as possible is a real world contributor to results for sure. Keep at it Ron,I am one of your biggest cheerleaders,because I was you at one time with the Explorer2. I doubted,I wondered,I got frustrated a bit...but there was a core of guys who told me to just go use the machine as much as possible. That’s what it took,and that experience boosted my confidence through the roof! The pocket loads of coins didn’t hurt either...:wink:

We've debated this mightily over the years....
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: December 19, 2017 05:13PM
The earlier models of FBS detectors didn't have the +3 Auto feature, or show a recommended setting, so in Auto it was impossible to know what level sensitivity was running at and we devised several experiments to try figure out what was going on.

Some people swore by Auto and made good finds, but I think most settled on running manual sensitivity up to the point where the detector started getting twitchy, then backing of a notch or two. The feeling is that the Minelab algorithm sacrifices depth for stability. If you are in a very target rich environment or near sources of EMI it will dial the the sensitivity back farther than needed and you will lose depth. In clean soil away from EMI Auto levels may be close to what you would do in manual.

There is a million posts on this topic, and I don't think the Etrac and CTX operate much differently than the earlier models.

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login