Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
2017 Year End Finds
Posted by: floodplaindetector
Date: December 29, 2017 04:27PM
Since it has been brutally cold this week for most of the country I can put the 2017 detecting season in the books.
I detected one private house this year. All other sites were public.
I just did a re-count and ended the year with 230 silver coins. 73 old nickels (Vs and Buffalos), 49 Indian Head Pennies
1877 was the oldest silver coin for 2017.

Here is a breakdown of my finds:

[Coins]

Half Dollars: 3 walking liberty (1935 oldest)
Quarters: 28 quarters (1895 oldest) (5 Barber, 8 Standing Liberty)
Nickels: 23 V nickels (1892 oldest) 50 Buffalo (1 not pictured as it was in the Jefferson nickel bin), 72 Jefferson nickels (1939-1959)
** 1 Key Date 1921S Buffalo Nickel
Dimes: 1 1877 seated liberty / 19 barber dimes / too many Mercs and Roosevelt dimes to count.
Indian Head Pennies: 49 (1865 oldest)
Wheat Pennies: Hundreds (1909 oldest. A couple 1924 Ds were a better year And a 1915s)
Various Foreign Coins back to 1899.

[Jewelry]

A few gold and gold plated rings
Numerous Sterling, .925 rings and pendants
Various Religious medals
A Sterling 1932 High School Class Ring
1940s Junior Fire Marshall Ring

[Relics]

Favorite relics are:
The big 1913 Fireman's Convention Badge. The top section of the badge was found 2 months later at the same park.
Rare Early 1900s Waterloo Boy Tractor Watch Fob (Published in Western And Eastern Treasures Magazine)
1893 World's Fair Ferris Wheel Coin (Published in Western And Eastern Treasures Magazine)
Circa 1884 J.M. Brunswick And Balke Co. Billiards Token.
Radio Orphan Annie Secret Society Pin

[Tokens]

Various Merchant Tokens From 5 Cent - 50 Cent Denomination
A handful are from very small towns and should have good value.

2017 Year End Finds (Cont...)
Date: December 29, 2017 04:29PM
Here are my 2017 Relics, Foreign Coins And Wheat Penny pile...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 04:31PM by floodplaindetector.

Re: 2017 Year End Finds (Cont...)
Posted by: roadapple
Date: December 29, 2017 05:26PM
Incredible !!!!!

You could fill up a Pirates chest with the amount of silver you have pulled out over the years !! Always enjoy seeing your finds throughout the year. Happy New Year.

Posted by: cz70pro
Date: December 29, 2017 05:31PM
Heckuva a good year FPD! It's been a pleasure watching you find all those awesome finds over the year. Can't wait to see what we all come up with next year.

HH and GL,
Greg

Re: 2017 Year End Finds
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 29, 2017 09:14PM
Can I ask...are you retired? That is an Incredible amount of EVERYTHING! And you are just ONE GUY hunting a fairly limited area! It really is mind blowing just thinking about what HAS been pulled out of the ground by ALL hunters since detectors have been around. It’s even MORE mind blowing to think that we probably haven’t even begun...when you consider private property and such.
That’s a beautiful sight Flood. You have a habit of making it RAIN!!
Best of luck next year!

Wow, that is impressive
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: December 29, 2017 09:28PM
Hey Dave,

I cleaned up and cataloged my coins a month back during a cold spell.... Which of course led to a warm up where I could get out and add a few more finds. Definitely over now. I only got out a half dozen times and my finds pale in comparison to yours.

Do you know what James ended up for the year? Not sure if he still averages 400-600 silver per year. I would think that most of the public places up there have been hit hard over the years.

Hope to get up your way next year, attend a meeting at Rick's in Chafee, meet you and perhaps do some detecting.

Chris

Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: December 30, 2017 06:57AM
Congrats on a fantastic season ! :clapping:

XP Deus * 9" Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Date: December 30, 2017 10:01AM
Thanks for the response roadapple!
It is a great hobby that keeps me moving.

roadapple
Incredible !!!!!

You could fill up a Pirates chest with the amount of silver you have pulled out over the years !! Always enjoy seeing your finds throughout the year. Happy New Year.

Date: December 30, 2017 10:03AM
Thanks Greg, I appreciate that.
That is the best part of the hobby. Not knowing what you will see next.

cz70pro
Heckuva a good year FPD! It's been a pleasure watching you find all those awesome finds over the year. Can't wait to see what we all come up with next year.

HH and GL,
Greg

Date: December 30, 2017 10:21AM
IDXMonster, first of all thanks for the response.

No I am not retired. I have been working full time as a Software Engineer since May of 1993. I will be hitting the big 50 in March.
My area tends to be pretty large as I can easily get out over 200 miles from home in every direction on one of my early morning day trips.
My Dad's farm Is 300 miles away so I have other familiar areas there when I visit.
I also have a brother in Omaha so I am familiar with that area and I detected as far south as the Missouri border last year.
I usually reserve Saturday for home improvement. My Job gets done at 12:30 pm on Fridays and after working with same company almost 25 years I accrue a lot of vacation to use so a lot of Fridays are spent detecting for part of the day also.
Any time my wife and I go on a weekend trip the detector (my wife refers to it as my mistress :) is coming along.
I put time into planning out my routes and pre-research just about every trip to try to make my stops more efficient.

Dave

IDXMonster
Can I ask...are you retired? That is an Incredible amount of EVERYTHING! And you are just ONE GUY hunting a fairly limited area! It really is mind blowing just thinking about what HAS been pulled out of the ground by ALL hunters since detectors have been around. It’s even MORE mind blowing to think that we probably haven’t even begun...when you consider private property and such.
That’s a beautiful sight Flood. You have a habit of making it RAIN!!
Best of luck next year!

Re: Wow, that is impressive
Date: December 30, 2017 10:31AM
Hi Chris,
I am not sure James counts up his silver anymore. We still detect together periodically and he is still outstanding with his Explorer XS and our outings have made me better over the years.
It is definitely tougher to find silver than it used to be so it is always a challenge to find a site that produces.
Sure if I am around when you come we can get out and do some detecting. I made it to a few meetings this year.

Dave

Chris(SoCenWI)
Hey Dave,
Do you know what James ended up for the year? Not sure if he still averages 400-600 silver per year. I would think that most of the public places up there have been hit hard over the years.

Hope to get up your way next year, attend a meeting at Rick's in Chafee, meet you and perhaps do some detecting.

Chris

Date: December 30, 2017 10:32AM
Thanks! Yes, it was a fun year.

E-TRAC-OHIO
Congrats on a fantastic season ! :clapping:

Posted by: chipper97
Date: December 30, 2017 05:29PM
:yikes:Some of us look back nostalgically to the "good old days" when plenty of silver coins and lots of cool items and artifacts were the result of a successful year of detecting. Some are apparently still living the good old days! Congrats on an incredibly productive and fun year detecting Dave!:clapping:

Posted by: Normx2
Date: December 31, 2017 07:14AM
Dave, I see evidence of real dedication to our hobby. Those are some really cool finds!!!

Date: December 31, 2017 10:05AM
Thanks chipper97,
yes, it was a fun year and a lot of nice days detecting.

Dave

chipper97
:yikes:Some of us look back nostalgically to the "good old days" when plenty of silver coins and lots of cool items and artifacts were the result of a successful year of detecting. Some are apparently still living the good old days! Congrats on an incredibly productive and fun year detecting Dave!:clapping:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login