Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Little coil question
Posted by: WV62
Date: January 23, 2018 09:30AM
The Sunray 5" what kind of in the ground depth can I expect on coins?

My thoughts are the 5" coil should be the best coil for the amount of trash I am in.

The soil is pretty mild around here, I was running Auto +- 0 to +2 sensitivity yesterday and it was running 26 to 28 all day.

Thanks,

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Re: Little coil question
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: January 23, 2018 10:42AM
With that kind of soil and sens you’ll see an 8” dime all day.

Posted by: cz70pro
Date: January 23, 2018 11:00AM
Agree with IDX. I love my X-5 and it will go deep for such a small coil.

Date: January 23, 2018 11:10AM
Okay, that is what I wanted to hear.

I don't have a lot of time with that little coil and about the deepest target I have dug is about 5".

Just didn't want to waste a lot of time if 5" was it's limit.

Back on the stick it goes.

Thinks,

Ron in WV

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: January 23, 2018 05:33PM
The thing to remember is that no matter the size of the coil on the etrac it’s still driving the same power via the transmit signal,so a small coil will seem to “over-perform” relative to its size. They work really well if you have the patience and don’t need ridiculous depth.

Date: January 23, 2018 05:53PM
IDXMonster
The thing to remember is that no matter the size of the coil on the etrac it’s still driving the same power via the transmit signal,so a small coil will seem to “over-perform” relative to its size. They work really well if you have the patience and don’t need ridiculous depth.

Excellent advice IDX. I would also add, DO NOT swing them fast. Swing low and slow with those little coils and they will really produce.

Date: January 23, 2018 06:01PM
The area we are hunting now the silver seems to be just on the plus side of 6", with the deepest coin my brother found was a half $ right at 8". So that little coil should get me right in the middle of the silver layer.

Ron in WV

Date: January 23, 2018 06:07PM
cz70pro

Excellent advice IDX. I would also add, DO NOT swing them fast. Swing low and slow with those little coils and they will really produce.

Got it,

Thanks for the advice,

Ron in WV

Date: January 23, 2018 06:11PM
WV62
The area we are hunting now the silver seems to be just on the plus side of 6", with the deepest coin my brother found was a half $ right at 8". So that little coil should get me right in the middle of the silver layer.

Ron in WV

There often really is no rhyme or reason to coin depth. I have found Roman and Medieval coins lying right on top of the ground under the leaves in the woods and I have dug 9 inch Memorials. I dug an 1894 Barber quarter a few weeks ago in the woods and it was literally two inches deep. I was digging clad coins right in the general vicinity of the Barber at much deeper depths. You just never really know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login