Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Half-dime bonanza
Posted by: chipper97
Date: February 04, 2018 05:08PM
Well, bonanza's a slight exaggeration. But after 20 years of detecting I'd never found one. Then this past December I scored my first in a field behind a 1900 era farm house. No doubt something went on in the area before the house was built as there were Civil War era buttons and mini-balls found. Still I was really surprised to see it and in good enough shape to have been dropped very near it's mint date. So yesterday I'm out at a location near where an antebellum home had stood and a few yards from the19th century family cemetery. This spot had produced 3 Large Cents in the past. My second dig of the day turns up my 2nd half-dime in 2 months. This one in great condition as well except for a scratch I put on the reverse. Ugh. This one a beautiful Capped Bust. Haven't found much silver this year but these 2 little discs make up for it.

Re: Half-dime bonanza
Posted by: cz70pro
Date: February 04, 2018 05:15PM
Wow! Congrats on finally finding not just one but two half dimes. They both look to be in great condition. I am still waiting for my first one so I can imagine how you felt finding yours. You are going to have to go over those two sites with a fine tooth comb. HH

Greg

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 04, 2018 05:29PM
I’d faint if I found a Capped anything. Great finds,those are NOT easy to come up with!

Date: February 04, 2018 06:16PM
Thanks guys. As you might imagine they rang up lower than a dime, 39/40 conductive so that doubled the surprise for me. I think they did have a bit of the silver warble but I was definitely not expecting silver.

Posted by: KingMidas
Date: February 04, 2018 07:36PM
Still on my bucket list!

Question for chipper97 . . . :yikes:
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: February 06, 2018 04:05PM
Those coins are in truly amazing shape! Can you give more information about finding them such as depth and if they were co-located in trash?

Very, super nice finds!

Date: February 06, 2018 04:07PM
chipper97
Thanks guys. As you might imagine they rang up lower than a dime, 39/40 conductive so that doubled the surprise for me. I think they did have a bit of the silver warble but I was definitely not expecting silver.

I was detecting an old 1834 farm and got a hit on my Explorer. I thought it might be some junk aluminum but decided to dig anyway.
I was surprised to find my very first half dime. And to think I almost didn't dig it.

Date: February 06, 2018 04:08PM
cz70pro
You are going to have to go over those two sites with a fine tooth comb. HH

And go over them with a fine toothed comb and detector too. :blowup:

Date: February 06, 2018 05:08PM
Thanks Tony. Yeah I was really lucky in regards to the condition of both of them. What I like about that even more is that I know they were dropped within a few years of their mint year. It puts me back to that early time as if it passed from someone's hand circa 1840 into mine, 2018. As far as the depth around 6" give or take. It was isolated with no co-located trash. I'll definitely be going over that area a few more times. I've picked up 3 large cents from the 1850's in the general area and some nice buttons. The targets are sparse but usually something old and sometimes a real 'treasure'.:smile:

Posted by: E-Trac-Ohio
Date: February 08, 2018 06:43AM
Congrats on two killer finds !

XP Deus * 9" Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Date: February 09, 2018 11:32AM
Thank you E-Trac-Ohio! Went out there yesterday found a few old flat buttons and wheat cents, the oldest a 1909(no VDB). Oh, and a couple of Jefferson nickles, '39 the oldest. I feel pretty certain there are a few more scintillating finds out there. It's a big field.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login