Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Went South For The Weekend And Pulled Some Finds
Posted by: floodplaindetector
Date: March 05, 2018 06:28PM
It has been a not so pleasant winter for me as I had some health issues including a very bad pinched nerve in my left arm which is finally getting better.
I saw the warm weather coming so I took friday off to extend my weekend and went about 500 miles south to do some detecting. I had researched over a dozen old city parks.
Some I had been to in the past. The ground was a little stiff in places but was very diggable. Temps hit 65 degrees on Saturday.
Saturday was an 8 silver day (picture of coins in my hand).
Most of the Indian head pennies were 8-10 inches.
The find of the trip for me was the old immaculate railroad conductor button. From my research it is circa 1883-1911.
It read similar to a wheat penny at about 7 inches deep.
It was fun to take a break from computer work and winter and enjoy the weather.

Coin Finds
Quarters are 1942,1944
Dimes are 1923,1936,1940,1941,1942,1943,1957,1959,1961,1963
Nickels are 1897,1898,1901,1904,1920,1924,1927,19341939,1940,1940,1947,1955,1958
Indian Pennies are 1887,1896,1896,1898,1898,1902
32 Wheat Pennies are back to 1910

Non Coin Finds
Medallion (must have some age as was 6 inches deep)
Gold plated ring
Railroad Conductor Button. (Backmark is Chas.Reubens & Co.Chicago)
Old Kid's Jacks
Old pocket knife
Cuff link
Small white lead item.
1961 Impala matchbox
Micro machine toy car

Re: Went South For The Weekend And Pulled Some Finds
Posted by: cz70pro
Date: March 05, 2018 06:47PM
Great to see you back on the forum and out doing some detecting FPD. I agree with you, that is an awesome button and I've never seen that backmark before. Great haul of coins there too. Hope your arm heals up completely and I look forward to another year of seeing what you turn up in those parks.

Greg

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: March 05, 2018 08:38PM
That’s just ridiculous. You found more in those pics than some guys find all year! Using an old FBS(flames boiling steam) machine are ya? I was JUST telling Greg that tech is outdated! Y’all will NEVER find anything good with those eTracs and such! It’s gotta be new-fangled to have an angle!:smile:
You have the angle man...whatever the hell youre doing,keep doing it. That’s an OUTRAGEOUS amount of loot,and the button is one I don’t believe I’ve ever seen.
Get better.:beers:

Posted by: Silver Bullet
Date: March 06, 2018 07:28AM
I've been trolling the site every day for a few weeks waiting for your first post of the year. I've been out about 20 times since the new year, and found four silvers to date (I thought I was tearing it up). Amazing to see your collection of things after one weekend hunt. I hope the nerve in the arm continues to improve. Looking forward to seeing your posts this year!

Silver Bullet

Posted by: diggervance
Date: March 06, 2018 01:07PM
Hey F.P.D.
OFF to a great start. I was reading your post and I was wondering what your rule of thumb was on hunting an old site. How much time do you give yourself at a spot before you give it a thumbs up or down. With 11 park's how many hours do you hunt for. At age 56 this year and I think decent shape I can hunt just about 6 hrs.
Great hunt and can't wait for your finds to be posted.
Rick

Posted by: chipper97
Date: March 06, 2018 03:25PM
Great going FPD! I've got some spots 75 -80 miles away I'm tempted by, parks, old school sites. I just hate to go all that way and get skunked or nearly. Looks like I need to just bite the bullet and take a chance.

Weekend Finds -
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: March 06, 2018 05:21PM
FPD,

A very nice collection of finds. Though it was a LONG drive, glad to see you were able to get out with the Etrac.

Rich -

** UNDER CONSTRUCTION **

Date: March 06, 2018 07:38PM
Thanks Greg! yes those buttons are very fun to find.

cz70pro
Great to see you back on the forum and out doing some detecting FPD. I agree with you, that is an awesome button and I've never seen that backmark before. Great haul of coins there too. Hope your arm heals up completely and I look forward to another year of seeing what you turn up in those parks.

Greg

Date: March 06, 2018 07:41PM
Thanks! Been using the Old Etrac since 2008 and will stick with it. My arm is feeling pretty good.

IDXMonster
That’s just ridiculous. You found more in those pics than some guys find all year! Using an old FBS(flames boiling steam) machine are ya? I was JUST telling Greg that tech is outdated! Y’all will NEVER find anything good with those eTracs and such! It’s gotta be new-fangled to have an angle!:smile:
You have the angle man...whatever the hell youre doing,keep doing it. That’s an OUTRAGEOUS amount of loot,and the button is one I don’t believe I’ve ever seen.
Get better.:beers:

Date: March 06, 2018 07:44PM
Thanks Silver Bullet!
I was glad to be able to get out. I got back home before the big snow storm hit. Hopefully it will start warming up around Fargo.

- Dave

Silver Bullet
I've been trolling the site every day for a few weeks waiting for your first post of the year. I've been out about 20 times since the new year, and found four silvers to date (I thought I was tearing it up). Amazing to see your collection of things after one weekend hunt. I hope the nerve in the arm continues to improve. Looking forward to seeing your posts this year!

Silver Bullet

Date: March 06, 2018 07:52PM
Rick,
it depends on the site but if I cant get at least a wheat penny or something old within 1 - 1.5 hours I move on. That time may be less if I have a lot of sites lined up.
At some of the parks I hit last weekend , it was at least a half hour before I even dug a signal.
last weekend I did manage to get something old (at least a wheat penny) at every park I stopped at.
I am turning 50 years old in 2 weeks. Saturday was a 10 hour day as I was swinging when it was light enough to see and went until about 5 pm.
I was a little stiff the next day as I haven't detected in over 3 months.
I have a lot of faith in my Etrac and NEL setup which makes me very patient.

Dave

diggervance
Hey F.P.D.
OFF to a great start. I was reading your post and I was wondering what your rule of thumb was on hunting an old site. How much time do you give yourself at a spot before you give it a thumbs up or down. With 11 park's how many hours do you hunt for. At age 56 this year and I think decent shape I can hunt just about 6 hrs.
Great hunt and can't wait for your finds to be posted.
Rick

Re: Weekend Finds -
Date: March 06, 2018 07:55PM
Thanks Rich!
I do have a brother that lives in the area so I got to visit him.

Rich (Utah)
FPD,

A very nice collection of finds. Though it was a LONG drive, glad to see you were able to get out with the Etrac.

Rich -

Date: March 06, 2018 07:59PM
Thanks!
I had many Sunday one day hunts last year where I traveled 200 miles from home one way. As long as you have a few sites in your plan as a backup you will run into something good..

chipper97
Great going FPD! I've got some spots 75 -80 miles away I'm tempted by, parks, old school sites. I just hate to go all that way and get skunked or nearly. Looks like I need to just bite the bullet and take a chance.

Do you ever go somewhere and find nothing?
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: March 07, 2018 02:45PM
Man, those are awesome finds bud! :beers:

I detect, therefore I am

Congrats some real nice stuff uncoveredN/T
Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: March 07, 2018 06:57PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login