Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Hunting virgin 1940's yards. What a blast!
Posted by: cz70pro
Date: May 03, 2018 01:11PM
My hunting partner and I decided we would do some door knocking on Sunday. I took him to a neighborhood that lies right in the path of a running cavalry battle during the Civil War and also has a pre Civil War house in the neighborhood. As we were driving we saw a few guys cutting down a tree next to a very small 1940's house. Got out of the car, found the owner and asked him if we could metal detect around the yard. He immediately said yes and then went on to tell me he owned a total of seven houses and two empty lots on that street and we could have the run of them as well. I felt like I had hit the jackpot. We started hunting two houses that were side by side and built in 1941. These homes had very small yards but they were chock full of targets! As we hunted the first yard the owner went down the street to tell his renters that we would be hunting their yards. He also talked to his next door neighbor who has about an acre behind his house just across the street from the pre Civil War house and got us permission to hunt there as well! Super nice guy.

So far, we have hunted two yards and a bit of the empty lots and as you can see the results have been awesome. The finds pictured below are just the finds I made! Among my favorite finds are the 1903-1953 Buick 50th anniversary key fob and the custom made silver ring with the tiger stone in the center. Don't be fooled by the small size of the 1940's GI Bill homes or their small postage stamp yards. They are producers! While hunting one yard a lady living next door invited us over to hunt her yard as well. We're going to be in that neighborhood for a while.

The last two pictures show all of my finds including the ones from the Saturday sidewalk hunt last weekend. It was an awesome weekend.

HH,
Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 01:13PM by cz70pro.

Re: Hunting virgin 1940's yards. What a blast!
Date: May 03, 2018 01:15PM
Here is a picture of the backside of the Buick watch fob.

Posted by: CAgem
Date: May 03, 2018 03:40PM
Sounds like a really terrific hunt. I have yet to get up the courage to knock on doors. :thumbup:

Date: May 03, 2018 04:23PM
CAgem
Sounds like a really terrific hunt. I have yet to get up the courage to knock on doors. :thumbup:

Thanks. I can definitely understand that. I definitely prefer to try and catch them when they are outside rather than disturbing them in their home. I just got another permission at a 1930's farmhouse close to my house when I saw him outside working on the property. I've also had luck with vacant houses for sale and getting permissions by contacting the realtor. I once pulled 23 silver coins and countless other finds out of a yard by doing that a couple years ago.The rewards are pretty amazing as many yards are still untouched.

Posted by: 1hotwire
Date: May 03, 2018 05:04PM
When you're hot you're hot and that's my preferred hunting grounds too ... empty old houses and vacant city lots is a hit or a miss but the hit can be awesome ... congratulations !

Semi - retired electrical contractor

Tesoro Cortes and Mojave
etrac
8x6 sef
13 " ultimate
10x5 coiltek
garrett pinpointers

Posted by: utmike
Date: May 03, 2018 06:28PM
That is amazing Greg! Congrats on what looks like the tip of the iceberg for great finds. Please keep us posted how the rest of it goes.

Date: May 03, 2018 08:26PM
1hotwire
When you're hot you're hot and that's my preferred hunting grounds too ... empty old houses and vacant city lots is a hit or a miss but the hit can be awesome ... congratulations !

Thanks hotwire. Love these type of sites. I'll hunt just about anywhere I am able to sink a digger into the dirt. LOL

Date: May 03, 2018 08:34PM
utmike
That is amazing Greg! Congrats on what looks like the tip of the iceberg for great finds. Please keep us posted how the rest of it goes.

Thanks Mike. We are heading back out there Sunday so hopefully we will find more.

Posted by: CZconnoisseur
Date: May 05, 2018 03:37PM
Great haul Greg! Every time I get back to Tennessee I make it a point to hunt several post-war neighborhoods and am almost never disappointed! Keep up the good work! :clapping:

Date: May 05, 2018 05:10PM
CZconnoisseur
Great haul Greg! Every time I get back to Tennessee I make it a point to hunt several post-war neighborhoods and am almost never disappointed! Keep up the good work! :clapping:

Thanks a lot CZ. Yep, they are always loaded with silver and interesting finds.

Posted by: floodplaindetector
Date: May 06, 2018 10:42AM
Great hunts Greg! Well done.
looks like a fun time pulling all that variety.

Dave

Date: May 06, 2018 07:55PM
floodplaindetector
Great hunts Greg! Well done.
looks like a fun time pulling all that variety.

Dave

Thanks Dave! It was a lot of fun not knowing what the next hole would bring.

Greg

Posted by: Delta Digger
Date: May 07, 2018 09:47AM
You're killing the finds man. Seems you are having a great year so far. I haven't been out any this year due to other responsibilities. Hope to get out soon and find a coin or two.

Date: May 07, 2018 10:43AM
Delta Digger
You're killing the finds man. Seems you are having a great year so far. I haven't been out any this year due to other responsibilities. Hope to get out soon and find a coin or two.

Thanks Delta. I've been having a pretty good year so far. Hope you find the big one this year.

Greg

Date: May 07, 2018 11:09AM
Delta Digger

Thanks Delta. I've been having a pretty good year so far. Hope you make some awesome finds this year.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login