Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
100 Year Old Half Dollar / Sterling Religous Medals / 1916 Lone Scout Pin
Posted by: floodplaindetector
Date: May 20, 2018 10:08AM
Finds are from a Wednesday vacation day hunt and a Saturday partial day hunt.
The half dollar was on edge and initially read like a quarter until I swept the coil from the other direction and it gave me half dollar readings.
I was excited to see the large silver in the hole as they don't come up often anymore.
The Lone scout pin was a very deep blip of a signal. That pin is circa 1916 as the Lone Scouts merged with Boy Scouts in 1924.
The silver religious medals are some of the nicest I have found and the triangle shaped one has some very good weight to it.
The Anchor pin had good depth (8+ inches) and must have some good age.
The "For Progress In Writing" is a 1930s pin made by the Balfour Company to promote the Palmer method of cursive writing.
Hitting a variety of items that make me do some research to determine what they are is one of the most exciting parts of detecting other than the thrill of the hunt.
All finds were made at public city parks and schools. NEL Thunder coil was used. I have been sticking with that this year as I really like the Separation + Depth.

Coin Finds
Half dollar is 1918
Mercury dimes are 1918,1941,1943,1945
13 Wheat pennies are back to 1917
1 Canadian penny from 1950s

Non Coin Finds
2 Sterling silver religious medals
100+ year old Lone Scout First Degree pin
1930s For Progress In Writing Pin
Large Anchor Pin
Cat Key Fob
Braided style old ring

Re: 100 Year Old Half Dollar / Sterling Religous Medals / 1916 Lone Scout Pin
Posted by: cz70pro
Date: May 20, 2018 11:28AM
Nice hunts FPD. I always love the history the non-coin items tell and there are a lot of stories sitting there in your photos! I had never even heard of the Lone Scouts before. The Progress In Writing pin really interested me as just the other day we had been talking about how schools no longer even want to teach writing in cursive. Wonder if they will be digging up Progress of Spell Check pins 75 years from now . lol

Great finds! HH

Greg

Date: May 21, 2018 07:23AM
Thanks Greg.
Yes, it is neat to get a window into the history of the past through metal detecting. I was close to putting that tiny Lone Scouts pin into my junk pocket until I noticed the shield shape and faint design on it once I
cleaned it up.

Dave

cz70pro
Nice hunts FPD. I always love the history the non-coin items tell and there are a lot of stories sitting there in your photos! I had never even heard of the Lone Scouts before. The Progress In Writing pin really interested me as just the other day we had been talking about how schools no longer even want to teach writing in cursive. Wonder if they will be digging up Progress of Spell Check pins 75 years from now . lol

Great finds! HH

Greg

Posted by: roadapple
Date: May 21, 2018 08:08AM
Great finds !!!

Posted by: Mkus
Date: May 21, 2018 12:11PM
Nice finds I found the same blue progress in writing pin just a couple months ago!

Date: May 21, 2018 05:57PM
Thanks roadapple!

roadapple
Great finds !!!

Date: May 21, 2018 05:59PM
thanks Mkus!
Yes, a neat pin. Mine was about 7 inches deep and read similar to a wheat penny.

Mkus
Nice finds I found the same blue progress in writing pin just a couple months ago!

Posted by: E-Trac-Ohio
Date: June 02, 2018 05:59AM
What a great haul - congrats !

XP Deus * 9" LF Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login