Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Strange numbers
Posted by: oldmoney
Date: October 18, 2018 09:01AM
Hoping someone can help me out here. Recently Ive been getting a 12 45 expecting silver or at least a clad quarter only to dig a penny, it can be very frustrating. Then last night I got a 12 37 12 36 dug it and out pops a solid silver mans bracelet..... very nice. but also very perplexing. So I checked the numbers again doing an air test and the same numbers came up. The bracelet is clearly marked, twice in fact, "Italy .925" on both ends of the chain, so I know its silver.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Worst part is if I get into an area where it seems like there is a lot of pennies, or what I think is pennies according to the number display, and i am short on time, I will pass them up. Now , I am wondering how much silver I left in the ground.

Any help is appreciated, Thank you

Re: Strange numbers
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: October 18, 2018 10:41AM
Happens all the time. Sound is obviously first as it’s how you know you have something....but I rely heavily on the depth meter along with a numeric ID. You basically have to dig the high 30s to high 40s as worn silver comes in low sometimes. Big silver items can absolutely read lower as you saw,just how it’s calibrated and how the ID system works I guess. Using depth to hunt old coins is what I’ve had much success with but skipping shallow stuff will make you miss that bracelet too! So you see,if you WANT it all,you have to scoop up many things in that 30s to 40s range.

Posted by: PennyAtaTime
Date: October 18, 2018 07:01PM
The key here is You said chain. Every item I have found that had chain involved gave wonky numbers and wonky sound.
That includes silver, iron and brass. (still waiting for a gold chain). :confused:

CTX, Etrac, ATPro, Lesch, Sampson T-Handle, Propointer, GG Ultimates, Doc's Treasure bag

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 07:02PM by PennyAtaTime.

Posted by: oldmoney
Date: October 19, 2018 06:36PM
Thanks IDXMonster and PennyAtaTime. Funny how we wall read these posts and and things seem obvious, but in the field, when it happens to you , you forget some of this. I guess its all part of learning the machine. Thanks again and HH

Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: October 20, 2018 03:14PM
Many "Italy" marked silver & gold jewelry items are not real............so I'm skeptical of any item thus marked.............

Iowa Dale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login