Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
My take on Auto/Manual Sensitivity
Posted by: WV62
Date: November 04, 2018 04:43PM
I have been working on this off and on for a couple of weeks now and I think I have a pretty good idea what is going on with the sensitivity.

One thing I think I need to explain is how I was able to test Auto Sensitivity all the way up to 28. I noticed when swinging the detector over the ground with either of my 2 coils the sensitivity would rise and then when I pulled the coil off the ground the sensitivity would lock on that higher number. So I put the detector on the stand and checked the number before and after I put the silver dime in front of the coil. Bottom line I was able to get a good read on all settings all the way up to 28 with both my coils.

Notice the drop in dept from manual sensitivity to auto sensitivity all settings.

I hope some of you out there will find this useful.

Ron in WV

Re: My take on Auto/Manual Sensitivity
Posted by: Kraemer
Date: November 05, 2018 03:21PM
Correct me if I’m wrong but the second section of your graph is labeled auto as well. That should be manual? Just asking hope I’m not stupid! Wouldn’t be the first time! Anyway you obviously put a lot of time and effort in compiling all your results and it is compelling. Even more considerations for many I would think. Thanks Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 03:28PM by Kraemer.

Posted by: shwebb
Date: November 05, 2018 04:38PM
I think one side is comparing 5" coil and the other side is comparing the 11" coil

Date: November 05, 2018 06:38PM
Correct, I put the sensitivity setting numbers in the middle, then going right the first column is the results for manual sensitivity for the 11" coil. Then the next right column is the results for auto sensitivity testing for the 11" coil.

Then the same on the left side of the center column of sensitivity numbers is the results for the little 5" coil, first from center is the results for manual sensitivity, then the next over is the results for auto sensitivity.

The big thing for me was the depth drop of about 2" on the 11" coil from manual setting to auto with the same sensitivity setting.

Hope that helped to clear things up.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: November 09, 2018 10:22AM
Nice work,

I think you will find AUTO to be site/time specific as you can't 'set' AUTO. Site conditions set AUTO. I think you will also find changes based upon Noise Cancel channel in use. Find the best high conductor channel and redo your test. You should get another 2" on the dime with the pro coil.

HH
Mike

Currently own and use:
*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 *****GoldBug Pro*****Minelab E-Trac*****Teknetics ETPro *****Teknetics Omega 8500***** Tesoro Golden Sabre II *****Tesoro Compadre *****Garrett ATPRO*****

Date: November 10, 2018 09:18PM
Mike Hillis
Nice work,

I think you will find AUTO to be site/time specific as you can't 'set' AUTO. Site conditions set AUTO. I think you will also find changes based upon Noise Cancel channel in use. Find the best high conductor channel and redo your test. You should get another 2" on the dime with the pro coil.

HH
Mike

Well Mike maybe I am missing something, I didn't redo all my testing but I did do one line manual sensitivity 30 and all 11 noise cancel channels and then I done one line with auto sensitivity + - 0 and aging all 11 noise channels.

I didn't see any big jump in depth.

Note I did find a mistake in my small coil numbers for Auto sensitivity all from + 3 to - 3, my first chart I had them all 4.5" and they should have been 5.5".

I also took the chart apart and tried to make it a little more understandable.

Ron in WV

Posted by: Muckchucker
Date: November 15, 2018 03:19AM
So basically, if I read your chart right there is no need to go above manual sensitivity of 26 as you don't gain any more depth?

Date: November 15, 2018 12:43PM
I would say you are correct, the x5" coil topped out at 26 manual sensitivity.

The 11" stock coil topped out at 25 manual sensitivity.

Manual 26 seems to be a good go to setting the get the most out of either of my coils.

Ron in WV

Posted by: cz70pro
Date: November 15, 2018 05:14PM
Nice job on your graph and testing. It reflects what I have seen using my machine out in the field. ATB Greg

WV62
I would say you are correct, the x5" coil topped out at 26 manual sensitivity.

The 11" stock coil topped out at 25 manual sensitivity.

Manual 26 seems to be a good go to setting the get the most out of either of my coils.

Ron in WV

Posted by: mascard1
Date: November 18, 2018 08:16AM
Manual 26 is what I run....19 gain to tell deep stuff....I run Varability all the way up...

Date: November 18, 2018 11:48AM
mascard1
Manual 26 is what I run....19 gain to tell deep stuff....I run Varability all the way up...

Well it took me a long time to get there but that is a match to what I am running.

Ron in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login