Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Why is TTF the best option for iron laden sites
Posted by: Bob38
Date: February 02, 2019 10:16PM
Trashfinder

Nice silver quarter! I have found hoards of 1965 quarters, but no silver quarter yet. Yeah, I'm working on the sweep speed and have really slowed it down to about 2 to 2.5 FPS. I really slow it down when I hit trashy sections. I also have a 6X9 SEF coil that does a really good job at getting the depth so I should be able to retrieve the deep stuff. I just need to work on my technique. I will give your settings a try. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Trashfinder
Date: February 02, 2019 11:02PM
That sef coil is a favorite of mine, works really well. Sweep speed is key to success, it will make all the difference.

Date: February 04, 2019 06:56PM
So yesterday morning I took my ETRAC to the junkiest site I could find. Now I knew that the location also had a layer of aluminum at shallower depths because I had hunted there with two other detectors and only found shallow clad and shards of shredded cans. Within 15 minutes I hit a good a signal and a grunt almost simultaneously at about 7 inches. I dug it just to see what the 30 to 32 conductive signal was. It was this three ringer and although I have found three ringers before, I looked at this as it was a piece of gold because TTF has just opened up a load of sites for me. (See Attached). I only had an hour then I had to go but found a few older pennies in this mess too. TTF is going to work out great and slowing down in the iron is not that bad. With the aluminum, I did have to keep a close eye on the screen so hunting my other locations that have a bunch of deep iron without the aluminum and it's going to be fun.

Now, what do buttons ring up at? Mid 20s?

Posted by: cz70pro
Date: February 05, 2019 08:09AM
Bob38
So yesterday morning I took my ETRAC to the junkiest site I could find. Now I knew that the location also had a layer of aluminum at shallower depths because I had hunted there with two other detectors and only found shallow clad and shards of shredded cans. Within 15 minutes I hit a good a signal and a grunt almost simultaneously at about 7 inches. I dug it just to see what the 30 to 32 conductive signal was. It was this three ringer and although I have found three ringers before, I looked at this as it was a piece of gold because TTF has just opened up a load of sites for me. (See Attached). I only had an hour then I had to go but found a few older pennies in this mess too. TTF is going to work out great and slowing down in the iron is not that bad. With the aluminum, I did have to keep a close eye on the screen so hunting my other locations that have a bunch of deep iron without the aluminum and it's going to be fun.

Now, what do buttons ring up at? Mid 20s?

Last button I dug was a few weeks ago and it was an Eagle I coat and it rang up 12-21. Cuffs will be a bit lower usually.
Greg

Posted by: jughed440
Date: February 05, 2019 09:48AM
Good thread...good info.

TTF would likely get good results on the trashy rural 1800's farm sights i have gone through numerous times already. The opportunities to hunt are too few, so I usually cherry pick.
I've tried using TTF one single time at a 'formerly productive' hunt site, but my impatience wouldn't let me stay on it long enough to see any results (but retirement is 2 years away....no excuse afterwards).

E Trac, SEF 6X8, X1 probe, Gray Ghosts.
Garrett AT Gold, 5X8 coil, GPP.
Oldest coin to date...1829 Large Cent

Date: February 05, 2019 01:05PM
I'm with you on that buddy. I have decided to carve areas up into smaller sections and hit it for a while before I go to our scheduled permission. I think that way I can learn TTF in smaller events and reflect on what I need to change or what works before the next weekend. I need to start filming myself, But that would be weird. I do need to take notes (Settings, FE/CO readings, depth, item recovered). That way by the time I retire, I can do this fulltime and hunt where no one else wants to go.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 05, 2019 06:05PM
Bob38
I'm with you on that buddy. I have decided to carve areas up into smaller sections and hit it for a while before I go to our scheduled permission. I think that way I can learn TTF in smaller events and reflect on what I need to change or what works before the next weekend. I need to start filming myself, But that would be weird. I do need to take notes (Settings, FE/CO readings, depth, item recovered). That way by the time I retire, I can do this fulltime and hunt where no one else wants to go.

Filming is actually very beneficial if done properly. Film it all. Use a head mounted camera so you get the right point of view(POV) when you’re reviewing it. It will look just the same as what you saw hunting in real time,but you’ll be able to hear the signals that you perhaps should have checked and didn’t,or DID check and shouldn’t have bothered with. Don’t use the headphones when you do this obviously,or you’ll have no audio to review. Watch your coil....how much do you REALLY overlap?...Do you keep good control of your coil? Any ground tracking system requires that you are diligent about coil height being uniform so that the machine isn’t seeing big or sudden variations in soil to have an optimal outcome! ALL of this can be looked at to make yourself a better hunter IF you film your hunts. And who knows...you might find something outrageous in the process too.
Good luck Bob,I can tell you are serious about this hobby! Put in the time,learn the processes it takes to stand out. It does NOT come easily,nor quickly. Nothing really worth doing comes easily,as I’m sure you know.

Posted by: jughed440
Date: February 08, 2019 06:32AM
Bob38

Videotaping is quite the norm, as evidenced by the many YouTube videos. If i were to do that i'd use a GoPro.
I can think of at least a dozen farm sites, some now being plowed fields, that would be great to learn TTF, and hopefully make some nice recoveries at the 'iffy' signal spots i had passed by.

E Trac, SEF 6X8, X1 probe, Gray Ghosts.
Garrett AT Gold, 5X8 coil, GPP.
Oldest coin to date...1829 Large Cent

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: February 08, 2019 08:13PM
jughed440

Videotaping is quite the norm, as evidenced by the many YouTube videos. If i were to do that i'd use a GoPro.
I can think of at least a dozen farm sites, some now being plowed fields, that would be great to learn TTF, and hopefully make some nice recoveries at the 'iffy' signal spots i had passed by.

Yeah it’s kinda cool to find something on the spot and be able to get it out of the ground live. I’m glad I started filming because you see stuff about your own skills that can be improved upon,and signals that you did not check that clearly show up on the audio. It can be a really good “self teaching” tool! One thing I saw on my own film was that even though I consciously try to overlap swings,I wasn’t doing it as thoroughly as I thought I was,and sometimes it was downright sloppy.
I do use a GoPro so that I can film it all. The guys who just use phones to film the target that’s already out of the hole....that doesn’t do me any good as a hunter. As a viewer of entertainment,sure. Is it any good for ME and to sharpen MY skills? No. I LOVE stuff that teaches me something,but that’s me.:smile:

Date: February 08, 2019 08:22PM
Taking the GoPro with me tomorrow. I’m pretty pumped about it too. It’s going to be cold but I will be prepared like always. If I learn to be a good trash hunter I will be unstoppable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login